Free Consultation: (603) 588-2168Tap to Call This Lawyer

William Michael Bryk

Law Office of William Bryk
  • Bankruptcy
  • New Hampshire, New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

William Bryk is an attorney-at-law in private practice in Antrim, New Hampshire. He retired from the City of New York after over 26 years’ service, concluding his career at the Department of Correction as an Agency Attorney III assigned to the Trials and Litigation Division from March 2002 to April 2010. He prosecuted disciplinary proceedings against uniformed and civilian employees, which included drafting pleadings, conducting pre-trial conferences and pre-trial motion practice, and settling or trying cases before administrative law judges at the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH), the municipal administrative law tribunal. He also briefed and argued over thirty appeals from OATH decisions to the New York City Civil Service Commission. Mr. Bryk previously worked in the offices of several New York City officials, including the Comptroller, the Manhattan Borough President, the President of the Council, and City Council Member Walter L. McCaffrey. He had also worked for the Board of Education and the Human Resources Administration-Department of Social Services and served as a law assistant in the Civil Court, an administrative law judge with the Department of Finance, and a per diem hearing officer with the Housing Authority. He has practiced law both as a solo practitioner and in association with the firms of Bondy & Schloss and Levy, Boonshoft & Spinelli, where he argued before New York state and federal courts. He continues to serve by judicial appointment as a guardian and as a court examiner of guardians’ annual accounts. He received his baccalaureate in economics from Manhattan College in 1977 and law degree from Fordham University in 1989. He was admitted to the New York bar in 1990 and to the New Hampshire bar in 2017. He has also been a literary journalist for over two decades.

Practice Area
  • Bankruptcy
  • Free Consultation
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    In consumer bankruptcy cases, I accept a flat fee of $1000, from which I pay the court and other fees.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Hampshire
New York
1st Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Fordham University School of Law
J.D. (1989) | Law
Manhattan College
B.S. (1977) | Economics
Editor-in-chief, Manhattan College Quadrangle, 1976; President of the Student Body, 1976.
Activities: Student government; student journalism
Professional Associations
New Hampshire Bar Association # 268939
- Current
Activities: Since my admission to the NH bar in June 2017, I have frequently attending continuing legal education courses.
State Bar of New York # 2337921
- Current
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. How do I file for a Motion for a Relief from Stay in NH? Tenant filed for Chapter 7 before signing his lease.
A: First, are you sure he filed for bankruptcy BEFORE signing the lease? If so, the lease is a post-petition event and, unless the law has changed that much in 30 years, I don't believe you need to file a lift-stay motion to evict him. Second, let's play it safe. Assuming you are in NH, a lift-stay motion ought to be filed at the Bankruptcy Court in Concord. The Court has many motion forms online. I recommend retaining counsel just to be on the safe side because you want the non-paying tenant out of your house.
Q. How long does a bankruptcy automatic stay last?
A: For the duration of the case, unless the creditor brings a motion for relief from the automatic stay. Such a motion must be brought upon notice, providing the debtor with the opportunity to respond.
Q. What happens if I am being sued and file for bankruptcy?
A: A bankruptcy filing acts as an automatic stay against all collection activity. The creditors may not directly contact the debtor once the petition is filed. No letters, no telephone calls, nothing. Of course, the creditors may contact the debtor's attorney. This rarely happened in the cases I handled for debtors over the last 28 years.
Q. What would justify payment of more than the no look fee of $4,500 for a chapter 13 bankruptcy?
A: A chapter 13 case requires a great deal of work up front and, in most cases, the lawyer's constant attention to ensure the debtor complies with the requirements of the statutes. It is more likely than not that a $4500 fee will be earned well before the debtor begins paying his/her debts through the trustee. In my single successful chapter 13 case, my client was a careful person who completely understood what the law required of her and complied with it. She was a good and honorable woman who had simply fallen into difficulty. Most debtors don't comply, for whatever reason, and their cases fail.
Q. Is it legal in NH for my boss fire me for filing bankruptcy?
A: Not to my knowledge. Unless you owe your boss money, there is no particular reason for him/her/it to know about your filing of a petition.
Q. If I file for bankruptcy, what happens to my student loan debt?
A: Absolutely nothing, unless your lawyer can show that repaying the debt would expose you and your family to undue hardship. This law was changed during Bill Clinton's presidency. Before then, if one had owed the student loan debt for seven years, one could seek its discharge. I used to do that with some frequency. Now, there is a kind of paradox in the law. People who need that kind of representation can't afford that kind of lawyer.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
444 Clinton Road
Antrim, NH 03440
Telephone: (603) 588-2168