Free Consultation: (248) 539-1330Tap to Call This Lawyer
Thomas. R. Morris

Thomas. R. Morris

Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.
  • Appeals & Appellate, Bankruptcy, Business Law...
  • Michigan
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

B.A., International Relations, James Madison College, Michigan State University. J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1986. Practice concentrated in bankruptcy, commercial law, business law, workouts, real estate and complex situations.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • International Law
  • Free Consultation
    The depth and duration of the free consultation depends upon the nature and scope of the potential engagement.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Standard hourly rate is $350.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • French: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.
- Current
Shefferly, Silverman & Morris
Schlussel, Lifton
University of Michigan Law School
Michigan State University
B.A. | international relations
James Madison College
listing 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Professional Associations
Creditor/Debtors Rights Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
- Current
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Current
Activities: Occasional lecturer.
State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section, Creditor/Debtor Rights Committee
- Current
Business Law Section Council
Articles & Publications
The Michigan Exemption Initiative
Michigan Business Law Journal
The History and Futrure of Michigan Debtor Exemptions
Michigan Business Law Journal
Representing Small Business Debtors in Bankruptcy
The Discharge of "Trustee" Debts: Defining the Term "Fiduciary Capacity" under Bankruptcy Code section 523(a)(4)
Michigan Business Law Journal
Judgment Liens Against Real Property: H.B. 4941 Proposes Major Changes
Michigan Real Property Review
Speaking Engagements
Individual Chapter 11 Reorganizations, ABI Central States conference, Traverse City, Michigan
American Bankruptcy Institute
moderator and speaker
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
96 Questions Answered

Q. My girlfriend was threatened with fraud for customers letting her load rewards on her account... can they do this?
A: It sounds like a good reason for her employer to fire her. The next questions are: Whether this scheme results in monetary liability to the employer; and whether it might constitute a crime. I don't think that there is enough information for an attorney to definitively answer the question, unless that attorney was involved in a similar situation (hopefully on behalf of a client, not personally). I do not have that experience, but I hope that it is helpful to her to know that there are three main issues: Employment, civil liability, and criminal liability. It is also possible that what she did is OK on all three bases, but I doubt that the employer does not have a good basis to file her.
Q. Does the current real estate contract law require a lien search of unrecorded debts/balances owed on a property?
A: A search of the real-property records is always a good tool in establishing the state of title to property. The records do not, by definition, reveal unrecorded matters. "Real estate contract law" does not so much impose requirements on parties to transactions to verify the state of title in a certain way. Rather, it determines the manner in which a "real-estate contract", whatever that might be, will be enforced. The questions is unclear on several levels and cannot be answered simply.
Q. Hello, Q.1. Under Michigan Law is there any statute of limitation's on Dept. of Treasury to enforce collection after 30
A: This is from MCL 800.404: "The state may recover the expenses incurred or to be incurred, or both, by the state for the cost of care of the prisoner during the entire period or periods the person is a prisoner in a state correctional facility. The state may commence proceedings under this act until the prisoner has been finally discharged on the sentence and is no longer under the jurisdiction of the department."
Q. How can I use the case number on a clients bankruptcy to see if our company is a listed creditor?
A: Next step: go to and perform a search for the case or case number. Your question does not provide enough information for me to be more specific about the first steps. Once you find the case, you need to look at schedule D, E or F to see if your company is listed as a creditor.
Q. If a company discharges a debt can they still come after you for the money ?
A: Quite possibly. I don't know what you mean by the creditor "discharging" the loan. That's probably not the proper term. If the creditor "wrote off" the debt, it is no longer carried as an asset on its books, but the act of writing it off (which also goes by other names) does not extinguish the debt.
Q. my boyfriend and I purchased a home in both our names. We have a buyer and he now dose not want to give me 50% of the $
A: 1. See an attorney. 2. Have the attorney threaten a suit for partition. 3. File the suit for partition. 4. Both sides will spend a lot in attorney fees if it dies not settle.
Q. Does a garnishment resume after a chapter 13 voluntary dismissal ?
A: The automatic stay (generally) goes into effect upon the filing of a bankruptcy petition. It is the automatic stay that stops a garnishment. When the case is dismissed, the stay ends, and garnishments can resume.
Q. What happens if my deceased spouse’s medical bill reaches collection agency?
A: Who is liable for the bill? If your deceased spouse was liable, his or her estate would be liable. If there is no estate, the question becomes whether someone else (such as you) guaranteed payment of the bill. If so, you may be liable.
Q. I have 25% shares in Michigan company which own apartment building.Apartment bldg was sold by partners without asking me
A: Quite possibly. The question is whether, under the organizational documents for your "company", a 25% owner has the power to veto a sale approved by the majority. Usually, the majority rules. If so, they can close the sale.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.
32300 Northwestern Highway
suite 215
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
Telephone: (248) 539-1330
Fax: (248) 539-1355