Thomas D'Arcy Ferreira

Thomas D'Arcy Ferreira

Law Offices of Thomas D. Ferreira
  • Appeals & Appellate, Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce ...
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

California family lawyer and credentialed mediator . Practiced personal injury and workers' compensation litigation 1988-2007. Joined Kegel, Tobin & Truce in 1990, managing shareholder in 2002. January 2008, transitioned to family law and mediation after divorcing. Current practice emphasizes resolution of conflict for the sake of children, and cost-effective methods to get through divorce. AAA neutral in insurance litigation. 3 published Ct. of Appeal Cases and 1 before the Cal. Sup. Ct.

Practice Areas
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business Arbitration, Consumer Arbitration, Family Arbitration
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Child Custody / Co-parenting
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Thomas D. Ferreira
- Current
Solo practice devoted to helping divorcing couples and parties navagate the court system, achieve cooperative co-parenting arrangements, resolve issues of support and property division. 90 percent mediation, 10 percent litigation, mostly in San Diego Superior Courts.
Managing Shareholder
Kegel, Tobin & Truce, APC
Began as associate, achieved shareholder status in 2002 and founded the San Diego Branch office in 2003. Handled full load of workers' compensation defense files from case inception through trial and appeal. 3 published Court of Appeal cases, 1 Cal. Sup. Court case.
Associat attorney
Egger & Hallett, APC
Handled full case load of workers' compensation defense files, on behalf of employers and insurance carriers.
Associat attorney
Law Offices of Thomas W. Moga
Represented plantiffs in personal injury and workers' compensation matters, from case inception through trial and appeal. Representation included jury trial, arbitration and law and motion work, and administrative trials before the Workers' Compensation Appeals board.
University of San Diego School of Law
J.D. (1987)
Honors: Brundage, Williams & Zellman Award for Excellence in Labor Law; AmJur Award, Labor Law
University of San Diego School of Law Logo
Univ of California San Diego
B.A. (1984) | Political Science/Communications
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
American Arbitration Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
North San Diego County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 131885
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Credentialed Mediator
National Conflict Resolution Center
Websites & Blogs
The Carlsbad Family Law Office Blog by Thomas D. Ferreira, Esq.
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered
Q. I have not served the petitioner. but would like to change physical custody to joint custody? how can i do that?
A: Legal custody means the right to make decisions for your children that affect their health, safety and welfare. Physical custody means who the child lives with. By definition, an incarcerated person cannot share physical custody, as the child cannot live with an incarcerated person.

You can always change the custody arrangement by agreement (stipulation) unless the custody arrangement you seek is not in the child's best interests (eg because of domestic violence or habitual substance abuse). I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you "filed for sole physical custody." If you have an existing dissolution of marriage or a paternity judgment, and you filed a motion or order to show cause hearing requesting a change of the custody order, you can file a written request to withdraw the motion or to vacate the OSC. ... Read More
Q. California, how do I add more documents to the restraining order I filed?
A: I'm not sure what you mean by "documents." I assume that you filled out the DV 100 or other Judicial counsel Form. If you want to file a supplemental declaration from yourself, or from another witness, I would recommend that you consult your county's local Rules of Court. Each county's court has a website where you can access these rules. In general, you should prepare the declaration using the appropriate Judicial Counsel form (see, and make sure it's served on the other party or their lawyer if they're represented. Be careful, as there are time limits on supplemental declarations.

If by "documents" you mean business or medical records, most counties' local rules will require a Notice of Lodgment, with the documents attached. Different counties have different rules on how and when to submit a Notice of Lodgment but as a general rule, it is important to serve the Notice and the exhibits on the other party or counsel prior to filing them. Bring an extra copy of all filed documents to your hearing in case they don't make it to the court's file. ... Read More
Q. My childs father is residing in the state of michigan & im persuing child support how can i locate him im in california
A: One easy thing you can do right away is to open a case with the California Department of Child Support Services. DCSS will initiate enforcement proceedings and track the person through Social Security records and the like. If they can't help you, I recommend that you hire an investigator to perform a person search.

In the county where I practice, San Diego, you can initiate your DCSS case by filling out an on-line application. Search for the DCSS office in your county.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Thomas D. Ferreira
2244 Faraday Avenue, No. 115
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Telephone: (760) 990-4752
Fax: (760) 683-3212
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.