Free Consultation: (714) 776-0606Tap to Call This Lawyer
Rebecca Sommer

Rebecca Sommer

  • Estate Planning
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Rebecca Sommer is licensed with the California state bar and has been practicing law since 2015. She has numerous scholastic achievements, including ranking top 10% of her graduating law school class and earning several scholarships for extracurricular activities. Additionally, Rebecca has a Certificate in Financial Planning from Boston University and participated in the tax honors program at Loyola Law School.

She combines her general finance training with specialized legal knowledge to offer practical legal solutions for managing your assets. Work with Rebecca to create legal documents which encapsulate your wishes rather than relying on state systems and rules. You can avoid probate, minimize taxes, ensure those who depend on you are cared for, and proactively empower your trusted relatives or friends to help if the unexpected happens.

Practice Area
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • Free Consultation
    We offer a free 15 minute, no obligation phone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    All services are offered on a flat fee basis. Our comprehensive trust packages range from $2,450 to $5,950 depending on the complexity and the number of trusts needed. Our clients typically spend about $3,150.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of California
ID Number: 305902
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
J.D. (2015)
Honors: Order of the Coif; St. Thomas More Law Honor Society; Robinson Family Scholar; Public Interest Scholar; 2014 National Civil Trial Competition, National Champion; 2013 ABA Labor & Employment Tournament, Regional Champion; American Board Of Trial Advocates, Award Recipient
Activities: Byrne Trial Advocacy, Team Member; Public Interest Foundation, Publicity Chair; Tax Policy Colloquium Participant; Juvenile Justice Clinic Participant
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of California  # 305902
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Savvy Estate Planning 567, Orange, CA
Effective Estate Planning, Anaheim, CA
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. What are the steps I need to take to obtain funds from my daughters trust account as the trustee.
A: You will need to look at the court and trust documents to see what is permitted and follow those documents. They may also dictate whether you can change the custodian of the money or not. If you are having difficulty interpreting the court's order and/or trust documents, you may need to consult a lawyer who can review the documents and provide you with advice.
Q. I’m inheriting my parents home, do I need a will prior, or can I do it later when the home is in my name?
A: Some additional information is needed to fully answer your question - are your parents still alive? How does their will/trust distribute the house if you predecease them? Etc. I can still give you some general information however. If you do not do a will then the assets will pass by intestate law. Since you are single and without children, anything you own will go to your nearest relative which the law outlines as parents, then siblings, then cousins, and so on. If you want to direct where your assets go in the event of your death, at a minimum you need a will. It will address all of your assets so it would be best to do one sooner rather than later. Depending on how you want to distribute your assets, it can be written to include all of your assets at death so you do not have to re-do the will after you inherit the house. The exception would be if you want the house specifically to go to one person and other assets to go somewhere else. Also you may want to consider a trust. A will does NOT avoid having to go through probate, but assets in a trust avoid the hassle and expense of probate.
Q. I am the last surviving member of my family, do I need to share my inheritance with my parents grandchildren?
A: This question is a little confusing so I'll do my best to answer the different ways it could be interpreted. If you're asking if you have to leave your own personal estate to your parents grandchildren, the answer is no. You can choose to leave your estate to whoever you want, but you must have a legally valid will and/or trust in order to do so. Otherwise you will be considered to have died intestate and the court will decide who receives your estate based on CA's probate code which basically means it will go to your nearest living relative(s). If you are asking about an inheritance you have received from family, if there is a will and/or trust, then that document will say who receives what. If they died intestate, then the court will follow the probate code in identifying the legal heirs of the estate. Unless your family members left you the assets in a trust, you should have a probate case opened. That process will establish who has a right to what portion(s) of the estate.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Slaten Wealth Management
501 N Brookhurst St.
Suite 318
Anaheim, CA 92801
Telephone: (714) 776-0606
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.