Free Consultation: (251) 947-6247Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman

Mr. James Parrish Coleman

  • Divorce, Family Law, Probate...
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

James Parrish Coleman was born on August 23, 1955, in Jackson Mississippi. He and his wife live in Silverhill, Ala. Mr. Coleman is a 1977 graduate of Loyola University with a degree in Journalism. He worked as a newspaper reporter, operated his family's marine supply business and was a sales representative for a large manufacturer before attending law school at Birmingham School of Law, while working full time. He graduated from Birmingham School of Law in 2006 and started work as an associate at Murchison & Howard, LLC in Foley, Ala. He opened his own firm in July 2012. He currently serves as the chairman of the Baldwin County Bar Probate Committee. He is an avid cook (see his cooking blog at and active volunteer for the United States Coast Guard. His son, James Parrish Coleman III is a partner is the law firm. His daughter is also a lawyer who lives and works in New Orleans, La.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
1088 Questions Answered

Q. My son is 19, he works part time but he is going to college, he has ADD, can I get more CS?
A: Is your son already 19 years old? Is the able to go to college? You have answered your own question. He is an adult. THe time has passed for you to attempt to convince the COurt that he is disabled. You should visit a lawyer in your home county so he or she can go over all of the facts with you and give you a good answer, but in a word..... no.
Q. How do you find out if someone is legally married to two people
A: A person can only be married to one person at a time. If the person is married, and then attempts to marry another person, then the marriage to the second person is not valid. You would have to first determine that there is no common law marriage involved, then you need to know where the person got married. Look at the records of marriage licenses in the state and county where you believe the person was married before.
Q. My son has his GED but not staying with his mother, she is still getting the child support. Can the support stopped?
A: You did not say how old he is. If he is self supporting and 18 years old, he might be able to be emancipated. Otherwise, you have to keep paying support...... but you should be ordered to pay it to the people who are supporting your son. If he has moved out.... what don't you ask for custody of him?
Q. Convicted of sexual abuse 2nd misdermeanor , 15 year old accuser was my wifes daughter , who did not live with us
A: You were convicted of sexual abuse of a minor. You are not going to be able to have much in the way of custodial or visitation with any child. THe key word here is "convicted." The state of Alabama has the power to act in the best interest of a child to keep that child away from a person who has been convicted of sexual abuse of a child. You should have gone to circuit court if you were not guilty and tried your case there.
Q. Can me and my wife agree to coparenting and neither one of us pay child support? Is there anyway to just be civil?
A: You can is you both spend equal time with the child and if your incomes are roughly the same. You can't tell her that she can have the kids if you don't have to pay support. The law won't allow that.
Q. If you are overpaying in child support and the court determines you have been will you be compensated the difference?
A: Is this an Alabama matter? You must go back to court and modify child support. You won't get money back. It is technically possible that the father could be held in contempt and be required to pay your attorney, but that is not certain. You must go back to court and get this done. If you are receiving government benefits DHR will take you back to court IF he is not paying.
Q. Is being order to pay child support the same as a civil suit?
A: Essentially, yes. An order to pay support becomes a final order as to that payment. This is very important, because it means that there are jurisdictional limitations on what a court which issues that order can do about giving relief from that order. If you have an order, and you don't pay, and those payments are part of a final order -- and they fell at a time other than when litigation was ongoing -- the COurt can't let you off the hook on those payments. SeeHamilton v Hamilton quoted here: "Child support obligations become final judgments as they accrue, and they cannot be modified. State ex rel. Morris v. Holland, 597 So.2d 223 (Ala.Civ.App.1992)."
Q. My husband and I are separated but not divorced. There currently is no custody agreement.
A: No. While this is a popular threat, you can't kidnap your own child. Your husband can take you to court in a custody matter in the divorce and have the judge order that either you bring the child back or lose custody of the child.
Q. If child support was set up by DHR and no custody was established, is the mother automatically the custodial parent?
A: You have no custodial rights just because you are on the birth certificate or paying support. Parenting issues must be settled in the Court. THose issues are NOT part of the DHR child support cases. WHile it is very common to hear the child support DHR matter at the same time a custody matter is heard, DHR deals in money, not custody. Go to court if you want visitation.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
22787 Highway 59 South
22787 Highway 59 South
Robertsdale, AL 36567
Telephone: (251) 947-6247