Kathryn Irene Phillips

Kathryn Irene Phillips

  • Family Law
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

My practice is limited exclusively to family law. Family Law is a fascinating and demanding discipline requiring some knowledge of several areas of law, such as probate, guardianship, real estate, tax, business, bankruptcy, etc., in addition to family law. It is my goal to help my clients complete their matters with as little trauma, delay, and expense as possible. My clients benefit from my years of experience handling family law cases.

We provide excellent professional legal services to our clients in the full range of Family Law matters from the filing of the initial petition through the entry of Judgment, the ultimate division of assets and debts, and everything in between.

If you are just contemplating divorce and have questions, or are terminating a 20+ year marriage with complex issues involving custody, visitation, support, visitation, valuation of assets and debts, temporary orders pending trial, or post Judgment modification of orders, we have the experience and competence to advise you and represent you in your matter. We handle all phases and types of family law cases.

Whether you wish to resolve your case amicably through negotiation and settlement, or yours is a difficult and highly contentious divorce requiring extensive litigation, we provide the services you need to protect your rights and resolve your matter.

Practice Area
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of San Fernando Valley College of Law
Juris Doctor (1977) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Member Family Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Law Offices of Kathryn Irene Phillips
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered
Q. Paying alimony & child support to my ex wife, was convicted recently for theft, lost her job, can I get alimony stopped?
A: Short answer is no, the support you were ordered to pay will not be stopped. However, it will also not be increased due to the fact that she is no longer employed, because she was at fault in losing her job. I don’t think the facts you have presented will justify a change of custody. Just based on 2 episodes of shoplifting, I do not feel the courts would grant a change of custody based solely on that.
Q. how to handle a house in divorce
A: This comes up in divorces all the time. In dividing the property between spouses, just a quitclaim deed to put 100% of the title in one party’s name does NOT relieve the other party of his credit obligations under a mortgage that has his name on it. Any late payments she makes on that mortgage will negatively affect his credit. So, she will have to refinance the property to take his name off the mortgage. If she doesn’t qualify for that, she could ask for a year or so to do the refinance and hope that she will qualify in another year or so. If she simply will never qualify for the refinance, then one of two things must happen: 1) her husband agrees to keep his name on the mortgage (not likely to happen); or 2) the house is sold. ... Read More
Q. Hello,I am writing you as a father who is seeking, at the very least, 50/50 custody of my daughter.
A: If you have a criminal record for sex offenses, domestic violence or other violent crimes, or a history of drug or alcohol abuse or addition, if you are awarded visitation with your daughter, you will probably have only professionally monitored visitation of your child for a couple hours a couple of times per month. You will have to pay for the monitor. If drug and alcohol abuse are part of your recent past and are currently issues, then drug and alcohol testing will most likely be part of any order you obtain.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
5429 Cahuenga Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91601-2918
Telephone: (818) 404-1170
Fax: (818) 508-1529
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.