Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Estate Planning
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Of Counsel
- Donvan Hatem, LLP
- - Current
- Of Counsel
- Glick and Associates
- President and Executive Director
- Leavesden Development LTD
- Acted as Chief Operating Officer and then Chief Financial Officer and General Counsel for Leavesden Developments Ltd, a UK private company that was engaged in the development of 284 acres in the Watford Area that included a Movie Studio which is now owned and operated by Warner Bros. Studios.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.S. (1989) | Business
- Honors: Sloan Fellow
- Wayne State University Law School
- J.D. (1976)
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Activities: Moot Court
- Massachusetts Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
132 Questions Answered
- Q. I have a 1 year lease that automatically becomes a month to month agreement signed when I moved in. is that legal?
- A: Yes, it is legal. If you want a new lease you can ask the landlord for one.
- Q. When two companies decide to merge, what financial information are they legally obligated to disclose to each other?
- A: In any transaction each party should disclose any material information that might impact the other party's decision to move forward. Generally, each company should disclose their financial information and any known potential liabilities such as potential lawsuits, potential liabilities for recalls of products. There should be a discussion of the retention of key employees and whether licenses held by one company or the other can be assigned without the consent of the owner of the license. The same applies to longer term customer contracts or supply contracts that may not be assignable or may not be assigned without the customer or supplier consent. All of these things could be and usually are material and should be disclosed. A company that is serious about merger needs to do a careful due diligence.
- Q. My son and daughter in law signed a financial agreement to repay me $150000 over a period of 20 years.
- A: If you have a mortgage on the property you can foreclose, if not you can sue them for repayment and attach a lien against the home.
- Q. If tenants in common disagree on a partition by sale will verbal agreements which are not recorded be considered
- A: The right to partition is generally independent of verbal agreements. While they can be considered, the real issue is can the property be divided equitably without requiring sale.
- Q. Can I sue?
- A: Contact an attorney who specializes in suits under the American's with Disabilities Act. You can call the Boston Bar Association or the Massachusetts Bar Association for a free referral. It would seem that the Company has terminated you for an invalid reason. One issue is however if you were a probationary employee, meaning you worked for the Company less than 90 days.
- Q. I have been married 40 yrs this year. I am on SSDI. We had to sell the family home in 2006.
- A: Assuming your wife is still living, then no you have no direct ownership rights save as to perhaps your limited rights under CHAPTER 189 DOWER AND CURTESY. If the property is titled as joint tenants and your wife predeceases you, then you probably have no rights. if the property is owned at tenants in common, then you would have a statutory right to inherit at least half of her interest in the property under the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code or more if you have no living children. I would assume that the home is owned as tenants in common, but you can check that online at the county registry of deeds.
- Q. Can I legally add the word 'fund' to the url for a website?
- A: It could be considered a material misrepresentation unless there is an agreement in place that protects, you, the charity and the donor.
- Q. How is prorating calculated for office subletting when they are renting the space for 2 days per week, 400$/month.
- A: If you are renting the property for 2 days a week being Monday and Wednesday, then you would prorate at the number of Mondays and Wednesdays between the start date and the last day of the month.
- Q. HOw do I prorate a month of rent to a subletter renting mondays and wednesdays for 400/month.
- A: Unless agreed specifically, you prorate on the days of the month.
Contact & Map