Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&AResponsive Law
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Stockbroker & Investment Fraud
Video Chat and Conferencing
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- English: Spoken, Written
- Law Office of Jeffrey Gaffney
- - Current
- For 25 years I have helped regular people solve their investment and planning problems, I primarily do estate planning, but I am also familiar with conservatorships and stock broker malpractice and fraud. I am proud to have been helping the elde community with all manner of financial issues and look forward to doing it for many years to come.
- US Navy
- For thirty years I was a Naval Officer, Reserve and Active. I served as a Surface Warfare Officer, leading large groups of sailors in complex situations worldwide.
- Clerk, then Attorney
- Law Office of John Allen
- My first legal job. I began as a clerk while still in Law School and stayed on after I passed the bar. I spent those years learning how to sue a stockbroker and fix their greedy sins.
- Registered Representative and Manager
- First Investors Corp.
- After I left active duty with the Navy I became a "used stock salesman", which I hated. I left there to attend Law School.
- SUNY Coll at Oswego
- Undergraduate Degree
- Univ of San Diego School of Law
- Law Degree
- US Army War College
- M.A. (2004) | National Securities Studies
- Military graduate school.
- Distinguished Service Award
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program
- For my work with victims of domestic violence and elder abuse.
- Meritorious Service Medal. Numerous and various lesser awards.
- US Navy
- Wide variety of military awards for superior performance.
- National Meritorious Service Award
- Operation Homefront
- For work in helping to establish a new program for mobilized reservists.
- Marion Mahar Award
- State University of New York
- Named the Outstanding graduate in my major for my undergraduate degree.
- Black Belt, First Degree
- International Tae Kwon Do Federation
- Regents Scholarship
- New York State
- Academic scholarship granted to pay for my undergraduate tuition based on academic achievement.
- California Bar Association
- - Current
- California State Bar
- - Current
- Elder Counsel
Websites & Blogs
89 Questions Answered
- Q. How can my mother can remove her husband as executor for her individual trust and designate me instead?
- A: If it is her trust, then she probably has the authority to fire the trustee. You have to read the trust.
- Q. My father passed away. No family member has shared the will to me. And they have filed paperwork. What can I do?
- A: Go look up the documents. Go to the Probate Court for the county where he lived and look him up. If there is a Will then it was filed there and you can see it. If not, then you will find out if the family has started other proceedings. If there is no Will, then you are entitled to a share of the estate.
- Q. does the trust have to get a s.s. number and pay taxes every year?
- A: You can make any trust into a Grantor Trust, where the original grantor (settlor; the guy with the money) just keeps paying the taxes himself on his 1040. Trusts have a very high tax rate so most people do it that way. When the grantor dies (even of a Living Trust) then you have to get the Trust its own tax ID and pay taxes.
Contact & Map