Harry Shorstein recenty concluded his fifth term as the State Attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit (covering Duval County, Clay County and Nassau County in Northeast Florida). In 2008, he decided not to run for a sixth term and to return to private practice with Shorstein & Lasnetski, LLC.
Mr. Shorstein attended the University of Florida for college and law school. After graduating from law school, he served as a Captain in the 3rd Marine Division in Vietnam. Upon his return, he worked as a Division Head at the Jacksonville Office of the Public Defender. After leaving that office, he spent several years as a Division Head and then Chief Assistant at the Office of the State Attorney. After the State Attorney’s Office, Mr. Shorstein served as General Counsel for the City of Jacksonville.
In 1991, Mr. Shorstein became the State Attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit. He held that position for almost eighteen years until deciding not run again in 2008. As the State Attorney for the Jacksonville area, he tried a variety of criminal cases, including over 30 murder cases, all of which he won. He also implemented a groundbreaking juvenile justice program that focused on rehabilitation and education that won national acclaim and was copied by prosecutors across the country. His extensive experience and accomplishments as a trial attorney have been chronicled by 60 Minutes, The Newshour with Jim Lehrer, NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, The New York Times, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report and others state, local and national media outlets. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
After over two decades of public service, Mr. Shorstein decided to return to private practice where he spent 15 years representing the rights and interests of individuals and businesses prior to becoming the State Attorney. In private practice, he defended clients on criminal matters in state and federal court, including complex white collar cases. He handled serious and complex wrongful death and personal injuries cases, and he represented companies in all varieties of business disputes. Another area where he has developed extensive skills and experience is in the representation of professionals in civil litigation and in front of licensing and other administrative boards.
- Criminal Law
- DUI & DWI
- Domestic Violence
- White Collar Crime
- General Civil
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- State and Federal Criminal Defense
- Free Consultation
All initial consultations are free.
- Credit Cards Accepted
Mastercard, Visa, Discover & American Express
- 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- English: Spoken, Written
- Shorstein, Lasnetski, & Gihon
- State Attorney
- State Attorney's Office, Fourth Judicial Circuit
- Harry Shorstein was the State Attorney for Duval County, Clay County and Nassau County, Florida for almost 18 years.
- Law Offices of Harry Shorstein
- Prior to becoming the State Attorney, Harry Shorstein was in private practice where he handled serious personal injury and wrongful death cases, malpractice cases, complex civil litigation cases, state and federal criminal cases and representing doctors and other professional in front of review boards.
- General Counsel
- General Counsel's Office, City of Jacksonville, Florida
- University of Florida
- J.D. | Law
- University of Florida
- B.S. | Business Administration
- Honors: Florida Blue Key
- Best white collar crime defense lawyer
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers
- The American College of Trial Lawyers
- Activities: Federal Rules of Evidence Committee
- The American College of Trial Attorneys
- The Florida Bar
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Florida State Bar # 93316
- Admitted Member
- - Current
- Harry L. Shorstein's Website Profile
- Jax Trial Law Website
- Shorstein, Lasnetski, & Gihon Website
- Jacksonville Criminal Lawyer Blog
- What is “Safety Valve” in Federal Criminal Court?
20 February 2018
- Criminal Law Update: When Can A Police Officer Stop And Search You?
13 February 2018
- How Can A Criminal Defense Attorney Help Get A Low Bond?
6 February 2018
- What is Pretrial Diversion or Pretrial Intervention and How Can I Get It?
31 January 2018
- In Florida, When a Defendant is Sentenced to Probation, Can That Probation Period Be Terminated Early?
23 January 2018
- Police in Florida Do Not Have a Right to Search All of a Person’s Personal Property, Even After an Arrest
19 January 2018
- What Is A Motion To Dismiss In A Criminal Case?
3 January 2018
- What Is A Motion To Suppress?
21 December 2017
- What Is A Federal Grand Jury And What Is It’s Purpose?
14 December 2017
- Florida Immigration Lawyer Blog
- An Immigration Lawyer Answers: What is Cancellation of Removal?
21 February 2018
- Can I Be Deported If I Am A Cuban Lawful Permanent Resident Who Adjusted Under the Cuban Adjustment Act?
14 February 2018
- What is Adjustment of Status and How Do I Adjust My Status to Get a Greencard?
7 February 2018
- A Driving Under The Influence Charge Will Affect Whether You Get An Immigration Bond
2 February 2018
- I Am Not A United States Citizen. What Can I Do If I Am The Victim Of A Crime?
24 January 2018
- How Do I Get Information On My Immigration Case?
22 January 2018
- A Florida Conviction For Domestic Battery By Strangulation Is Categorically A Crime Of Violence
2 January 2018
- When War On Terror Becomes A War On The Constitution
12 December 2017
- December 7th, 1941 – A Day That Japanese Americans Will Never Forget And Hopefully A Day That Muslim Americans Will Never Have To Relive
7 December 2017