Free Consultation: (800) 641-1970Tap to Call This Lawyer
Brian Smith Esq

Brian Smith Esq

The Law Offices of Brian J. Smith, Esq.
  • DUI & DWI, Criminal Law, Employment Law...
  • Ohio
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Brian Smith provides aggressive, experienced, and effective legal representation to every person served, so they feel confident that their rights are protected, their interests are served, and their results are maximized.

Mr. Smith uses his trial and negotiation skills in a general practice where he has developed expertise in representing men and women in criminal matters, DUI/OVI matters, unemployment appeals and labor matters. He resides in Huron, Ohio, helping Smith Law Offices to easily reach its resources along the northern coast of Ohio, from Cleveland to Toledo.

Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Criminal Law
  • Employment Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    For many DUI, OVI and criminal matters I offer fixed flat fees with payment plans.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Offices of Brian J. Smith, Esq.
- Current
Sivinski & Smith, LLC
Masters & Sivinski
University of Akron School of Law
Honors: While at Akron, Mr. Smith served as an assistant and associate of the Law Review, having an article of his own published in 2005. After graduating, Mr. Smith served as an instructor at Akron, preparing law students for the rigors of legal research, writing and oral arguments. While studying at Akron, Mr. Smith was awarded the Ernest Karam Award of Academic Excellence, the Federal Bar Association Constitutional Law Award, and multiple Excellence for the Future Awards. He graduated summa cum laude in the top of his class.
Kent State University
B.A. (1996) | Psychology major
Top Attorneys in Cleveland & Columbus
Cleveland Magazine
Professional Associations
Ohio State Bar # 0079861
Ohio Employment Lawyers Association
Cleveland Employment Lawyers Association
Ohio Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
National College for DUI Defense
- Current
American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
Executive Member
- Current
Parma Bar Association
- Current
Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer's
Board of Directors
- Current
DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- Current
Lorain County Bar Association
- Current
West Shore Bar Association
- Current
Speaking Engagements
How to Obtain a Union Contract in the Public Sector, ATU 268 Membership Meeting
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. If my liciense are suspended and i have a warrant how can i get the block off completly
A: That attorney could file a motion to lift the warrant. These are frequently granted when a court sees an effort to resolve the ticket. A court may then schedule a pretrial where that attorney can work to resolve the ticket too. If the court will not withdraw the warrant, an attorney could help make arrangements to turn yourself in and resolve the ticket.
Q. Backgrnd check says open warrant docket says closed w fine due what's correct?
A: I cannot say without checking with the court. You may want to contact the court so you can talk to them about this. Or you may want to consult with an attorney for help resolving this. What I can say is that, when a warrant is issued, Ohio courts will mark the case as closed until the warrant is served/resolved. They will then re-open the case.
Q. How much can or will legal aid help you?
A: There are legal aid groups and there are appointed attorneys. If someone is charged with a crime, they may ask the court for an appointed attorney. Courts will typically have the person complete a financial affidavit to determine whether they financially qualify. If they do, the court will appoint an attorney to represent the person. Legal aid groups each provide different services, often helping people who cannot afford an attorney but are not eligible for appointed counsel because of their circumstances or the type of case.
Q. Do I owe a reinstatement fee after I complete my Intoxalock in Ohio?
A: The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles web page allows you to view your suspensions and reinstatement requirements. You may find this by searching for Ohio BMV Online Services.
Q. What to do with a payroll overpayment ?
A: It sounds like the employer deposited too much to your account. When they discover the error they can and will take the money back. you might build some good faith by letting them know of the over deposit.
Q. I quit my job. Handbook says we get unused vacation benefits. Do they have to pay?
A: It certainly sounds as though they would have to pay. Employers are generally held to comply with their vacation policies. A review of the entire policy should be conducted to ensure there are no exceptions.
Q. Can an employer drop your pay by 3 dollars, if you are late to work more than 3 times in 90 days of employment
A: More information would be needed to fully evaluate this. The employer must pay you at least minimum wage of course. If you are protected by a contract with a wage rate, or perhaps a union contract, you might be able to challenge this. However, absent a minimum wage violation or contract violation, it is likely that an employer could adjust wage rates based on attendance.
Q. I was involved in an auto accident.
A: It sounds as though you could sue. Generally, an attorney would seek to include as many people who may potentially be liable in the suit (e.g., driver, parents, owner of car).
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
The Law Offices of Brian J. Smith, ltd
20545 Center Ridge Rd, Ste. 215
Rocky River, OH 44116
Toll-Free: (800) 641-1970
Fax: (855) 241-0700
Satellite Office
222 Bucyrus Ave.
Huron, OH 44839
Toll-Free: (800) 641-1970
Fax: (855) 241-0700