Free Consultation: (917) 756-8501Tap to Call This Lawyer
Barry Eran Janay

Barry Eran Janay

Solutions to the most complicated cases, reasonable fees.
  • Collections, Communications & Internet Law, Employment Law...
  • New Jersey, New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Barry Janay, Esq. represents emerging businesses in matters relating to commercial litigation, intellectual property infringement matters and other intellectual property litigation (including misappropriation of confidential and trade secret information), employment and labor law, collections, defamation, privacy and media law litigation matters. Barry serves as counsel for clients in industries ranging from publishing, software, retailers, and consumer products to online businesses.

Practice Areas
  • Collections
  • Communications & Internet Law
  • Employment Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
  • Probate
  • Products Liability
  • Real Estate Law
  • Securities Law
  • Social Security Disability/SSI
  • Tax Law
  • Construction Law
  • Trademarks
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Consumer Law
  • White Collar Crime
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Education Law
  • Broker Fraud
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Business Law
  • Civil Rights
  • Elder Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Aviation Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
New York
2nd Circuit
  • Chinese: Spoken, Written
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Hebrew: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Chief Legal Officer
BT Systems, LLC
- Current
Exalted Leader
The Law Office of Barry E. Janay, P.C.
- Current
Senior Counsel
Rick, Steiner, Fell & Benowitz, LLP
Golden Gate University
MBA (2003) | Business Law / Finance / Economics / Management
Golden Gate University School of Law
J.D. (2003)
Rollins College
B.A. (2000) | Political Science / Communications
Activities: Pre-law Society
Client Choice Award
Professional Associations
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
New York County Lawyers Association
Morris Aero Club
Brotherhood of Protective Order of Elks - Summit, NJ
New York State Bar # 4264800
- Current
Websites & Blogs
The Law Office of Barry E. Janay, P.C. Website
Legal Answers
830 Questions Answered

Q. Is it possible to claim legal ownership over all the dark matter in this universe?
A: I actually am the deed owner of said dark matter, I got it at a foreclosure sale in Queens, NY a few years back.
Q. Employer is slated for a takeover 2 weeks prior to my due date. Will I still qualify for NYS paid family leave?
A: You're likely an employee at will, meaning every day you show up voluntarily and you can be terminated with or without cause. When your company gets taken over presumably the new employer will immediately implement their existing policies and you will not have the benefit of prior policies. I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail with you and I think it is warranted in this situation to do so. Please feel free to email me.
Q. Hello, I wish to seek legal advice on a house I was in a contract to buy. Seller backed out randomly and sold it.
A: There may have been an action for specific performance to sell to you, but if your lawyer backed out of the deal without your knowledge or consent then it sounds like you potentially have a malpractice action against him/her. That said, I'm highly skeptical that there was no "time limit" clause on the mortgage....
Q. Dad's will in NY State says estate is to be split 50/50 to son and daughter. Estate has $450,00 in cash and a piece of
A: No, it shouldn't be as long as it is properly documented. A gift would be if there was no value exchanged, here there is clearly value (in fact equal / identical value) being exchanged.
Q. Estates: Precedence of joint bank account survivor vs. addendum to will
A: Depends on whether the supplement to the will was valid, I would argue that it likely is if it is referenced to the will and incorporated into the will by reference. Speak to an estate planning attorney who should be able to give you more specific guidance. Please email me directly if you have further questions.
Q. What are the best ways for a child to purchase assets from parents and avoid the estate tax (state+federal)?
A: If you're purchasing the assets with your own money there is NO estate or gift tax implication so long as it's reasonably tied to the fair market value for the assets. Furthermore, there is a lifetime exemption in the estate / inheritance tax at the federal level for $5.4M in gifts from individuals and $10.8 for married couples. Meaning so long as they are under that limit in taxes / gifts there is no estate tax due. As the other attorney pointed out, you should have a consultation with an estate tax lawyer to go over your specific situation.
Q. no will and parents are deceased is it legal for my sister to continue paying mortgage under my mother's name for 3yrs?
A: Not really. The bank should be advised of your parents death and you and your sister are under the rules of intestacy most likely the owners as tenants in common of the property. If you want to sell it you should start an administrative proceeding to get letters of administration in your name and then list it for sale.
Q. If I purchase another member's interest in an LLC, does that mean I own proportionally the LLC's assets?
A: Yes. If you buy the LLC interest you own a percentage of the LLC and it's assets, the LLC also may have liabilities so perform your due diligence thoroughly. A decent attorney can assist you in this transaction.
Q. I need a lawyer to represent me for unemployment,and sexual harassment and workplace violence.
A: Email privately, I can assist.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
33 Plymouth St.
Suite 202A
Montclair, NJ 07042
Cell: (917) 756-8501
Fax: (855) 374-2884
14 Murray St.
14 Murray St.
Suite 235
New York, NY 10007
Cell: (917) 756-8501
Fax: (855) 374-2884
220 White Plains Rd.,
3rd Flr.
Tarrytown, NY 10591
Cell: (917) 756-8501
Fax: (855) 374-2884
Jersey City
30 Montgomery St.
8th Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Cell: (917) 756-8501
Fax: (855) 374-2884
Jersey City
30 Montgomery St.
8th Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Toll-Free: (917) 756-8501
Telephone: (917) 756-8501
Cell: (917) 756-8501
Fax: (855) 374-2884