Free Consultation: (732) 828-8700Tap to Call This Lawyer
Barbara Ungar Esq.

Barbara Ungar Esq.

Aggressive Criminal Defense, DWI and DUI Attorney
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets...
  • New Jersey
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Barbara Ungar is a solo practitioner with 26 years experience and 15 years experience in private practice. She formerly served as an Assistant Essex County Counsel from 1988 through 1990 with expertise in mental health and hospital law. Ms. Ungar then served as a Deputy Attorney General with the Division of Criminal Justice from 1990 through 1999 with expertise in complex narcotics and environmental civil forfeiture and white collar, labor and fraud prosecutions. Ms. Ungar has extensive criminal defense, DWI, DUI, municipal court defense and family court litigation experience. She has been involved in the aggressive defense of high profile criminal cases featured in the media and and in the defense of high profile DYFS Abuse and Neglect and Termination of Parental Rights litigation. Ms. Ungar is the Chair of the Municipal Court Practice Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association and is the Vice Chair of the Criminal Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. She is an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and is a member of the National College of DUI Defense Inc.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • White Collar Crime
  • Domestic Violence
Additional Practice Area
  • DYFS Defense
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
3rd Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Barbara Ungar, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Current
Deputy Attorney General, Labor Prosecutions Unit
Division of Criminal Justice, Office of the Attorney General, Trenton, New Jersey
Deputy Attorney General, Civil Remedies and Forfeiture Bureau
Division of Criminal Justice, Office of the Attorney General, Trenton, New Jersey
Assistant Essex County Counsel
Essex County Counsel, Newark, New Jersey
Law Clerk
Kohler and Clinch, Hackensack, New Jersey
Judicial Law Clerk
Honorable Kenneth Stein, J.S.C., Newark, New Jersey
University of Baltimore School of Law
J.D. | Law
Activities: Staff Editor, Law Forum Publication, 1984-1985
Yeshiva University
B.A. (1983) | Political Science
Activities: President, Political Science Society; Delegate, Harvard Model United Nations
Professional Associations
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
National College for DUI Defense Inc.
- Current
New Jersey State Bar Association
Vice Chair, Criminal Law Section
- Current
New Jersey State Bar Association
Chair, Municipal Practice Section
- Current
Somerset County Bar Association
- Current
Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Current
Middlesex County Bar Association
- Current
New Jersey State Bar Association
Women in the Profession Section
- Current
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered

Q. I was chaeged with a 4th dregree giving a false police report i was never in trouble b4 i have a clean record
A: You may want to make application to Pre-trial intervention through the Courr and if you are accepted into the program and qualify for the program, you will be able to have the charges dismissed once the PTI process is completed, assuming that you do not want to contest the charges otherwise.
Q. Is it conflict of interest if my co-defendant and I are represented by the same law office?
A: Its the best practice to have two attorneys each representing you and the co-Defendant. If they share office space, its best that they not discuss the case and there is a potential ethical issue that could arise. Its better if you retain an attorney from a different law office and not in the same office as the attorney that represents the co-Defendant.
Q. Can a judge reject a plea agreement to run a sentence concurrent on a new charge by a person on probation or parole
A: The Court can decide to reject the plea agreement made between you and the State. Yet, if that occurs, you can take your plea back and try to have your attorney conference it with the Court and the State to try to reach another resolution of your charges.
Q. How long can you be held in jail without bail?
A: Generally, bail is set by the Court once the Complaint is filed against you. If bail is not set, you can hire an attorney to request bail be set as soon as possible or to request that the bail set be lowered to a cash bail.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Office
46 Bayard Street
Suite 409
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Telephone: (732) 828-8700
Fax: (732) 393-9630