Frequently Asked Questions
- About the Justia Lawyer Directory
- Finding an Attorney
- Claiming or Registering your Attorney Profile
- Can I be listed in the Justia Lawyer Directory?
- Is there a fee to be listed in the Lawyer Directory?
- Why should I claim my attorney profile?
- How do I claim my attorney profile?
- After filling out the Get Listed form, I am presented with a list of lawyers, what is this?
- Claiming a profile presents me various claiming options, what are these?
- How long does it take Justia to validate a fax claim or registration?
- What information will I be expected to give to Justia to claim a profile?
- What information will I be expected to give to Justia to register a new profile?
- What is the difference between an administrative email and a contact email?
- Editing/Completing your Attorney Profile
- How do I login?
- How do I update information in my lawyer profile
- How do I edit my profile?
- How can I remove my profile for the Justia Lawyer Directory?
- What is the difference between disabling and deleting my profile?
- How can I change my password?
- What are the ideal dimensions for an attorney photo?
- How do I change the my name listed in the Justia Lawyer Directory?
About the Justia Lawyer Directory
What is the Justia Lawyer Directory?
The Justia Lawyer Directory is a free online resource that provides detailed profiles on lawyers, law firms, and non-profit legal service and legal aid organizations in the United States.
Any lawyer or organization can have a free full profile on the Justia Lawyer Directory.
Finding an Attorney
How do I find an attorney using the Justia Lawyer Directory?
Start your search for an attorney on the Justia Lawyer Directory home page. In the lawyers search form, enter a legal issue or the name of a lawyer or law firm and the geographic location and click the search button to see a list of local attorneys, law firms, and non-profit legal service organizations that meet your search criteria. If we have your approximate location it will be pre-populated into the second text box in the lawyers search form (you may change it if you wish to).
You can also browse attorneys. Again, if we have your approximate location it will be shown on the top of the Webpage and you can click on the practice areas given on the page for a list of local attorneys, law firms, and non-profit legal service organizations servicing your locality.
How do you know where I am located?
The Justia Lawyer Directory uses a technology known as IP Geolocation to determine your general location. We do this so that when you visit the site, we can direct you to attorneys in your area as quickly as possible. We do not store your location on our servers, or use this information to identify you. We only use it to simplify and enhance your experience with the Justia Lawyer Directory.
How can I find free or low cost legal services or legal aid?
The Justia Lawyer Directory lists thousands of educational and non-profit legal aid and service organizations nationwide that provide free or low cost legal services. If you are only interested in these low cost legal service organizations, click on the "Legal Aid & Services" tab on any listings page to limit your search to just these organizations.
How do I contact an attorney in your directory?
There are several different ways to contact lawyers, law firms, and legal aid & service organizations listed in the Justia Lawyer Directory:
- Use Physical Address Contact Information: On a profile page, you can click on the "Contact & Map" tab, to see phone numbers and addresses the attorney has listed on his or her profile, as well as a map showing all of the office locations.
- Use Email Form: If the attorney or law firm has a contact email address associated with their profile, a "Contact this Attorney" or "Contact this Law Firm" link will appear on the top of the profile page. You can use this form to contact the attorney by email. For the privacy and security of the lawyers in our database, we do not display their email addresses anywhere on this site.
- Visit Their Website: Many lawyers and law firms have included links to their websites where you can find more information about the lawyer including additional contact methods. These website links can be found on the "Overview" tab of the profile page. Some lawyers also have blogs, which offer an excellent way to learn more about a lawyer, their practice, and the law in general. Attorneys and firms who have provided blogs have an additional tab on their profile labeled "Blogs" which displays a list of their recent posts.
Claiming or Registering your Attorney Profile
Can I be listed in the Justia Lawyer Directory?
The Justia Lawyer Directory currently allows United States licensed attorneys to provide a free full profile of their practice law. If you have an existing profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory, you can claim and update your profile from your lawyer profile page. If you do not have an existing profile in the Lawyer Directory, you can register for a new profile on the sign up page.
Is there a fee to be listed in the Lawyer Directory?
No. There is no fee be listed and have a full profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory. However, those who provide and support organizations that put free legal information online will receive higher rankings on the listings pages. You can get a higher ranking in a variety of ways that include providing free information yourself, such as writing a legal blog that is editorially accepted into Justia's BlawgSearch.com or with a financial contribution to an organization, such as the Legal Information Institute at Cornell Law School, that provides free legal information online.
Why should I claim my attorney profile?
The Justia Lawyer Directory provides free profiles to lawyers throughout the United States.
Registered lawyers may:
- Complete their profile to show the full extent of their professional experience.
- Help users find your Website and blog, or other social network and directory profiles, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, JDSupra, Twitter, Avvo and Nolo.
- Receive online leads from potential clients.
- Receive karma credit by providing a fuller more detailed profile.
- Receive karma credit and higher listings by providing free legal information through blogs, wikis and forums.
- Receive karma credit and higher listings by supporting organizations, like Cornell's Legal Information Institute, that provide free legal information.
- Be included in other lawyer directories, such as the lawyer directory of the Legal Information Institute, that only list those lawyers who have been authenticated.
How do I claim my attorney profile?
You can claim your attorney profile by finding your profile and then clicking the "Claim and Update your profile" link on the profile page (this link is on the right hand side of the profile page) OR if you can't find your profile in the Justia Lawyer Directory, you may register as a new attorney by clicking on the "Get Listed" link (located on the top right of every page).
After filling out the Get Listed form, I am presented with a list of lawyers, what is this?
The list shown are unclaimed profiles that may belong to you. If one of these profiles is yours, please claim it instead of registering a new profile. Otherwise follow the "register for a new attorney profile" link.
Claiming a profile presents me various claiming options, what are these?
These options are different ways to verify your identity against the information already in the Lawyer Directory. Currently, the available methods are "Claim by EMail", "Claim by Phone", and "Claim by Fax". Claiming by EMail will send a validation email to the email listed. Claiming by phone will allow you to enter a validation number during a phone call to the phone number listed. Claiming by fax will allow you to fax Justia proof of your identity and license to practice law.
How do I claim by email?
From the "Claim Profile" page, select the email you wish to use for claiming. The full email address is partially hidden in order to protect you from spammers getting your email address, you will see the first letter of the email address and the domain of the email address. Once you have the email selected, click the "Claim by EMail" button. An email will be sent to that email address with a verification code and a claim link. From there, you may enter the verification code on the next page or click the link in your email to verify your identity. Once verified, the page will load a registration form where you can continue with the profile registration and editing process.
How do I claim by phone?
From the "Claim Profile" page, select the phone number you wish to use for claiming. Please be sure that you are able to take a call at this number immediately. Select the phone number to call and click the "Claim by Phone" button. Click the "Call Phone Number" button and the Justia Lawyer Directory will call the listed phone number. Enter the 5 digit code when prompted and enter pound (#) key when finished. Once verified, the page will automatically load a registration form where you can continue with the profile registration and editing process.
How do I claim by fax?
From the "Claim Profile" page, click the "Claim by Fax" button. Complete the registration form, which will be converted into a downloadable PDF. Print, sign, and fax this form along with the required documentation to the number listed on the form. Upon receipt of your fax, the Justia Lawyer Directory team will review and process your request. Upon acceptance, you will receive an email notification to the administration email address provided in the registration form.
One or more of the claiming options presented above are not available for me, why?
If one or more of the options to claim your profile are not present, it is because we do not have that information in our database. However, the Claim by Fax option will always be available to unclaimed profiles.
How long does it take Justia to validate a fax claim or registration?
Once we have received your fax, we may need a few business days to review and approve your profile claim or registration. We will notify you by email once we have approved your claim or registration.
What information will I be expected to give to Justia to claim a profile?
During the registration process, you will be asked for a username and password. We will also collect information regarding your email, full name, primary address, and primary phone number.
What information will I be expected to give to Justia to register a new profile?
During the registration process, you will be asked to create a username and password. We will also collect your email, full name, primary address, and primary phone number. Once you fill out the online registration form, it will be converted to a downloadable PDF, which you can print and fax to Justia, along with documents proving your identity and license to practice law. Upon receipt of your fax, the Justia Lawyer Directory team will review and process your request. Once accepted, the Justia Lawyer Directory will send an email notification to the administration email address provided in the registration form.
What is the difference between an administrative email and a contact email?
The Justia Lawyer Directory stores two email addresses.
We use the administrative email to contact you regarding your Justia Lawyer Directory account, for example, to respond to password reset requests.
The contact email address is used for mail being sent from your profile by other users, for example, a potential client seeking to contact you through the Justia Lawyer Directory.
The administrative email address is required, the contact email address is optional. Neither email address is publicly viewable on the Justia Lawyer Directory Website. One email address can be used for both the administrative email and contact email.
Editing/Completing your Attorney Profile
How do I login?
To login, click the Attorney Login link at the top right of every page. Use the login and password you picked when you claimed your profile. If you lose your password you may reset it at the password reset page.
How do I update information in my lawyer profile?
If you would like to update information in your lawyer profile, you must first claim your profile. Once your profile has been claimed, you may edit all information on your profile by following the instructions below.
The Justia Lawyer Directory team will not respond to requests by email or phone to change information listed in unclaimed profiles on the directory. This is to ensure that only lawyers who own the profile can change the information within it.
How do I edit my profile?
Once logged in and you have created your profile, you can edit your profile simply by visiting it. To visit your profile click the My Account link at the top right of any page. Editing is done on the profile page by clicking the special editing icons next to each profile section. Common editing icons are: Edit Item, Add Item, and Delete Item .
How can I remove my profile for the Justia Lawyer Directory?
If you do not want your lawyer profile to be visible, you must first claim your profile. On your profile page, click on the "Claim and Update your profile" link at the top right of your profile and complete the claim process. Once your profile has been claimed, you may either disable or delete your profile from the Lawyer Directory.
To hide or delete a profile, click on the "Administrative Settings" tab in your profile. If you select Disable Profile", your profile will remain hidden until you re-enable it. You may also permanently delete your profile. Data contained in a deleted profile cannot be restored. The difference between disabling and deleting your profile is described further below.
What is the difference between disabling and deleting my profile?
Both Disabling and Deleting your profile remove it from the public listings in the Justia Lawyer Directory.
Disabling your profile is a reversible action. It allows you to hide your profile until you decide you want to show it again. You can still update your hidden profile, but it is not visible to the general public. You can make a disabled profile visible on the Justia Lawyer Directory by re-enabling it.
Deleting your profile will remove your information from the Justia Lawyer Directory permanently and you will no longer be able to login, edit or update your profile. If you want to re-add your profile after deleting it, you will have to create a brand new profile from scratch.
How can I change my password?
What are the ideal dimensions for an attorney photo?
You should upload a 180 pixels (w) by 240 pixels (h) attorney photo. If you upload a photo with different dimensions, the Lawyer Directory will rescale the photo to fit within these dimensions. We accept photos in JPG and GIF formats.
How do I change the my name listed in the Justia Lawyer Directory?
Name changes must be made by the Justia Lawyer Directory support team. You may send your request to change your name by clicking the Contact Justia link at the bottom of any page.