Profile Image Placeholder

Valerie Kraml

  • Family Law, Business Law, Estate Planning ...
  • California, Idaho, Illinois
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business - Arbitration/Mediation, Consumer - Arbitration/Mediation, Family - Arbitration/Mediation
    Medical Malpractice
    Birth Injury, Medical Misdiagnosis, Pharmacy Errors, Surgical Errors
    Construction Law
    Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
Additional Practice Area
  • General Civil
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
University of California - Davis
B.A. (2002) | B.A. International Relations; B.A. Sociology
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, UC Regents Scholar, Rhodes Scholar Finalist, Marshall Scholar Finalist; Prytanean Women's Honor Society
Activities: Phi Alpha Delta Pre Law Fraternity; Science and Society TA
University of California - Davis Logo
University of California College of the Law, San Francisco
University of California College of the Law, San Francisco Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Professional Associations
Idaho State Bar  # 8381
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois State Bar  # 6303757
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 266933
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Phi Alpha Delta
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Dangerousness, Risk and Release
Hastings Race and Poverty Law Journal
A Symbol of Freedom: ATSA and International Efforts to Increase Security
Hastings International and Comparative Law Review
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. If, I plan on suing a person or the City, do I have to give them notice that I am going to file siut against them?
A: It depends. If you are going to file against a City or County, then you typically have to give them notice and it must be done within a certain time frame (and its not very long) and in must be in a certain format. In terms of suing a person, it depends on the person and what you are suing for. Some statutes require advance notice for some causes of action. You will want to seek the advice of counsel to ensure you are doing this properly, and within the time framework required, or you may be prohibited from bringing the claim.
Q. Hi, my ex-husband & I split when our daughter was 2.5 We used a mediator and custody was split- 40% to him,60% to me.
A: You can file a Request to Modify Support and Visitation, and also bring in the Dept of Child Support Services (they normally coordinate guideline support payments upon delegation of the court). That will help you get an increase in support from the date of filing into the future. There are judicial counsil forms available at You should get help from the court family law self help, private counsel or a certified family law paralegal to ensure that you have filled out the forms properly and/or attached the pertinent documents.

In terms of the arrears, you can bring the issue up with Dept of Child Support Services and have them help garnish wages.
Q. my girlfriend split up after having a baby,where do i get a blood test for confirmation?
A: If there is a restraining order in place, then make sure you do nothing to violate those terms. Violating the restraining order will not support your efforts to be more present in the child's life.

If you believe you are the father of the child, you can file a petition in family court for a declaration of paternity and obtain verification that the child is yours. Then you can request visitation and other rights to see, and support, the child.

Many courts have family law self help clinics to assist in the preparation of the relevant forms.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
2625 Alcatraz Ave
Berkeley, CA 94705
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.