Free Consultation: (970) 227-6265Tap to Call This Lawyer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz

Tristan Kenyon Schultz

IN TOTO Legal Services
  • Divorce, Family Law, Tax Law...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

IN TOTO Legal Services: IN TOTO Legal Services is designed to be an efficient and client-centered law firm. IN TOTO provides reasonably priced, high quality legal advice that is tailored to meet your needs. We maintain continuous updates with your legal needs and quickly reply to your communications. Other benefits include a free initial consultation and ability to travel to your home, office or other meeting place at no additional cost. Biography: Tristan graduated Summa Cum Laude from Colorado State University in 2003. He received his legal training at the University of Washington in Seattle and was awarded a Juris Doctorate and a concurrent degree in Intellectual Property Law in 2007. He was also named the Intellectual Property Fellow from 2006-2007. Following his graduation from law school, Tristan received a post-doctorate degree (Master of Legal Letters) in Taxation from the University of Denver in 2008. Tristan worked for the University of Washington dividing his work between providing legal advice to faculty and staff and assisting in the developments of startups originating from the University. While at Washington, he drafted agreements between the outside parties and the University on matters related to employment, intellectual property assignments, joint ventures, and international law. Following his graduation from the University of Denver, Tristan was general legal counsel at Property Renovation and Management. There he provided tax advice and handled real estate transactions and valuations.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Tax Law
  • Business Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
10th Circuit
Tax Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Japanese: Written
Professional Experience
IN TOTO Legal Services
- Current
Staff attorney providing legal services in Northern Colorado
In House Counsel managing property acquisitions and site management
Property Renovation and Management
Negotiated purchase and service agreements; drafted and reviewed property valuations; supervised and worked with subcontractors; and handled all in-house finance and legal matters.
Technology Associate
Center for Commercialization, University of Washington
Drafted domestic and international intellectual property licenses/assignment agreements, met with faculty; reviewed licensing contracts for compliance; reviewed suitability of copyrightable material; and filed copyrights.
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
LL.M. / Taxation (2008)
Honors: FFEL Grant and Golden Key Award
University of Washington School of Law
J.D. / J.D. with Concurrent Law in Intellectual Property Law (2007)
Honors: 6 merit-based scholarships, and 3 published articles.
Activities: Press Officer, Technology and Law Society
Colorado State University
B.A. / History (2003)
Honors: Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean’s List 1999-2003, and 9 merit-based scholarships
Professional Associations
Colorado Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
Larimer County Bar Association
State Bar of Colorado # 48080
Articles & Publications
Understanding Open Source
Licensing Law
Why Does The GPL Need Revising?
Licensing Law
Can Canada Regulate the Internet?
Are Ads Invisible to the Law?
CASRIP Newsletter (Featured Article)
Tax Preparer
Websites & Blogs
Home of IN TOTO Legal Services
Legal Answers
1587 Questions Answered

Q. I was issued a court summons for speeding but was not asked to sign where requested, am I exempt from penalty?
A: No.
Q. We sold our house four years ago This same agent is using some of our interior pictures to resell the house.Legal?
A: Unless the images are copyrighted, there is nothing illegal in recycling the images.
Q. My boyfriend had a warrant in Indiana and was picked up in Colorado watsthe time limit he'll have to wait for them
A: The usual maximum is 90 days. Although, the nature of the crime(s) can extend it. That said, some states move faster.
Q. Start a online business from home in Colorado. I don't have a room set aside for home office. Do I need to register
A: Yes, you must register with the state for any business operated in the state and/or located in the state. Your local county and likely city will also require registration and taxation for all non-service business transactions.
Q. I am employed at a public (government funded) pool and we had members of a religion attempt to come in and solicit
A: Private property, even if wholly funding by the government, can lawfully restrict use/actions of any "visitor" with or withhold cause for any reason. Note this is very broad (hence why some court clubs in the south still lawfully restrict African-Americans and other groups from use and membership). For government property, certain 1st Amendment free speech rights, etc. apply in "public use" areas. In that case, you are correct the "negative" Establishment Clause prevents the government from favoring any religion over another. What this means in practice (with some specific exceptions) is that a public space must allow all religions to use the space or no religion to use the space (most government entities favor the latter). The 1st Amendment also requires a division of church and state (by inference). Lastly, since this involves government funds there is likely a condition as part of the funding that no religious use is a condition of the funding (under separation of church and state principles). If you want more information about the Establishment Clause and the 1st Amendment there are two solid articles on Wikipedia (esp. for non-lawyers).
Q. Can local police tell me I have to babysit my dog while it is in my backyard ? They said she was aggressive.
A: Witness testimony related events directly perceived by the witness is not hearsay unless the testimony is related to statements made by others. Yes, the police/animal control can attach conditions if the animal is deemed dangerous.
Q. We owe federal taxes but can't pay - will we go to jail?
A: It is possible, but unlikely unless the taxpayers knowing and fraudulently altered their tax liability for large sums of money. Be aware the IRS can establish a payment plan.
Q. I got a speeding ticket on a reservation - does it count against my insurance?
A: Yes.
Q. My daughter received a DV against her and makes too much for a public defender. What's are the best next steps?
A: She has two options: (1) represent herself or (2) hire an attorney. Pro se (self-represented) is not recommend unless your daughter is willing to a lot of studying because she will be facing an opposing lawyer (the DA). Some pro se parties choose to not hire a lawyer because the plan to plead guilty (every lawyer has an opinion about this approach, so I will not comment whether this is a good idea or not). If she hires an attorney she can look for an attorney who accept "limited means" clients (i.e. the attorney charges less). This list should be available from your local (county) bar association. She can also hire a normally priced attorney. With attorney fees, there is a great deal of variation. Some legal fees are based on the age/experience of the attorney, but an issue is what fees part of the fee is used in building a case (e.g. hiring experts, independent investigations, etc.). While experience is a significant factor in "good" representation, the money and time spent on building a solid case is what wins or loses a case for the overwhelming majority of situations.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 272285
Fort Collins, CO 80527
Telephone: (970) 227-6265
Main Office, IN TOTO Legal Services
155 E. Boardwalk Drive
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Cell: (970) 227-6265
Loveland Office
1635 Foxtrail Drive
Loveland, CO 80538
Denver Office
1900 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203