Free Consultation: (517) 240-4236Tap to Call This Lawyer
Trent Harris

Trent Harris

Attorney at Law Office of Trent Harris
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate Law
  • Illinois, Michigan
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Hello! My name is Thomas Trent Harris and I go by my middle name, Trent. I was born and raised in Jackson, Michigan and went to the Jackson Public Schools, graduating from Jackson High School in 1995. I earned my bachelor's degree from Albion College in 1999 and my juris doctor degree from Chicago Kent College of Law in 2008. I am licensed to practice in Michigan and Illinois, and my law practice focuses helping clients in the areas of estate planning, probate, and real estate transactions.

Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free telephone consultation up to 30 minutes
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Payments by credit or debit card will include a 3% surcharge to cover card processing fees.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Trent Harris
- Current
Founded small law firm to represent individuals in the areas of estate planning, probate, and real estate transactions.
Collections Attorney
American 1 Credit Union
I represented the credit union in collections and consumer bankruptcy matters in courts throughout Michigan.
Law Office of Trent Harris, PLC
I represented clients in estate planning, probate, real estate, and small business matters, mostly for transactional/drafting matters, but also some litigation.
Legal Intern
Allegiance Health
Worked as a legal intern supporting the Associate General Counsel of a mid-size regional hospital system. Worked mostly on contract and compliance matters.
Scarpelli & Brady, LLC
Worked as a paralegal for a five-attorney insurance defense litigation firm in Park Ridge, Illinois.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
J.D. (2008)
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology Logo
Albion College
(1999) Dual major in Economics & Management and Philosophy
Honors: Cum Laude
Placeholder image for education.
CALI Award
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
Received CALI Award for Law 273 - Evidence from professor Justice David A. Erickson for spring semester of 2007.
Dean's List
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
Recognized on Dean's List - spring 2007 and fall 2007 semesters.
Dean's List
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
Recognized on Dean's List - Fall 2006 semester.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan  # P73799
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Chicago Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Bylaws are Mylaws, Nonprofit Network 2011 Governance Workshop, Community Action Agency, Jackson, MI
Nonprofit Network
Presentation discussing the role, relevance, and importance of bylaws to the board of directors and management of nonprofit organizations.
Websites & Blogs
Crossroads Legal, PLLC
Legal Answers
272 Questions Answered
Q. How do I obtain a deed for my property?
A: If your deed was recorded, you can buy a copy from the office of the Register of Deeds for the county where the property was located. If the deed was not recorded, then you may have a problem. You would need to contact the seller if they are alive to get a deed, or possibly the seller's estate would need to give you a deed if the seller is deceased. Alternatively you could file a suit to quiet title but that would be the last resort. For further information, get a consult with a probate attorney in your area.
Q. Can I have savings, checking in my name only without affecting mortgage? Husband passed, accounts are with same bank.
A: Not sure what you mean by "without affecting mortgage." It's not clear why it would matter to your mortgage whose names are on your bank accounts. In most cases a mortgage lender has no requirements of someone maintaining specific bank accounts while the mortgage is outstanding, unless maybe those accounts were pledged as additional collateral for the mortgage. The mortgage lender is mostly concerned just with the mortgage being paid, and isn't concerned where the money comes from. To get a better answer to your question, please call a local real estate attorney to set up a consult.
Q. As an Executor of wills and estate can i forbid entry to a house until that estate is settled?
A: The short answer is, yes, you have the right to control access to the house as executor of the estate, subject to two caveats: (1) you don't have authority to do that unless you have letters of authority from the probate court; and (2) your right to exclude others on on behalf of the estate is subject to the rights of persons who are already in possession of the property, such as tenants, squatters, or other "residents" you referred to in your question. If there is already someone who is a resident of the house, then that person has rights to remain there under Michigan law, and they cannot be denied access to the house except through an eviction following the requirements of Michigan law. So the upshot of this is that you probably can't forbid entry to a current resident. If you want to get that person out, you would need to file an eviction. You could exclude others from the house though. As personal representative of the estate you do have a duty to gather up, secure, and administer the assets of the estate, which may include personal property of the decedent located in the house. I'd recommend working with the current resident to gain access to the house so you can inventory and store any of the decedent's personal items so they won't get lost. For further information, and especially for information that is tailored to your particular circumstances (and not general in nature like the advice above), make an appointment for a consult with a probate attorney in your area. There may be additional information and issues not included in your question above that could change the response given here. You will want to discuss all of that with an attorney in a consult to get the answers you need.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
404 S. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201
Telephone: (517) 240-4236
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 5 AM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: In-person meetings by appointment only. Please call ahead if you will be stopping by my office.
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.