Free Consultation: (570) 714-3343Tap to Call This Lawyer
Timothy Belt

Timothy Belt

The Belt Law Firm, PC
  • Workers' Compensation, Social Security Disability
  • Pennsylvania
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Timothy D. Belt is the son of Reverend James and Patricia Belt, and he has resided primarily in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area since 1985. Tim graduated from Lackawanna Trail High School and is a 1996 summa cum laude graduate of the University of the Ozarks. Tim graduated from Villanova University School of Law in 1999 and shortly thereafter began practicing law in the Wilkes-Barre area.

Tim’s practice focuses on workers compensation, social security disability, unemployment compensation and auto injury claims. Tim is a frequent speaker in regard to workers compensation issues to business and union organizations.

Tim is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association, and Wyoming/Sullivan County Bar Association

Practice Areas
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Social Security Disability
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney
The Belt Law Firm, PC
- Current
Fendler & Associates, PC
Marshall, Denehey, Warner, Coleman and Goggin
Laputka, Bayless, Ecker & Cohn
Villanova University
- present
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Workers' Compensation Law Certified Specialist
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
371 Questions Answered

Q. do I have to use my total accrued vacation up prior to collecting workers compensation? My employer says I do. Help.
A: You do not have to use your vacation time to receive workers' compensation, but your employer can force you to use your vacation time while you are receiving workers' compensation. If you have been out of work for more than a week for your work injury you would be entitled to workers' compensation wage loss benefits. However, there is no law in Pennsylvania that restricts your employer from also making you use vacation time while you are out of work, but you should receive both after the first week of disability. I would suggest that you contact a local workers' compensation lawyer to assist you with your claim.
Q. Can FMLA leave be combined with workers' compensation?
A: Yes, FMLA can run at the same time as workers' compensation. There is nothing that prohibits this.
Q. How do I decide if I need to file a workers' compensation or a personal injury claim for my work injury?
A: If the claim is against your employer and your employer has workers' compensation insurance, you can only file a workers' compensation claim. If a third-party other than your employer or a coworker was negligent and caused a work injury or if your employer does not have workers' compensation insurance and was negligent resulting in your injury, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. To by sure in your particular case, I would suggest you schedule a free initial consultation with a local workers' compensation attorney to review your options.
Q. I broke my wrist shelving boxes at my employer's warehouse. When I went to HR to ask how to file workers' comp paperwork
A: It is illegal to have employees and not have workers' compensation insurance. I would suggest that you contact a local workers' compensation attorney. They may have insurance that they are not telling you about. If they do not have insurance, you may still be able to file a claim against the Uninsured Employer Guarantee Fund.
Q. If an LLC run by 2 partners has no employees, what would their workers compensation requirements be?
A: If there are truly no employees, workers' compensation insurance may not be necessary. However, if anyone works for the company you may want to have the relationship reviewed by an employment attorney to make sure it isn't an employer/employee relationship.
Q. I drive my own car to and from client meetings for work. If I get into a car accident while driving to a client meeting,
A: These cases are fact specific. However, if driving to and from client appointments is part of your job duties you may have a claim and you should certainly have the totality of your facts reviewed by a local workers' compensation attorney.
Q. What are some examples of psychiatric work injuries that would qualify for workers' comp benefits in Pennsylvania?
A: It isn't the diagnoses that matters, it is the events leading up to the diagnoses. The injury has to be caused by "abnormal working conditions." Abnormal has to be very severe. For example fear of economic issues, bodily harm or even termination of employment are not enough. Furthermore, the occupation matters. I door-to-door salesman robbed at gunpoint may not be considered an abnormal working condition. These cases are very fact specific. There are a number of cases where a police officer involved in a shooting was not considered abnormal, but there was also a fairly recent case where a police officer that hit a pedestrian who intentionally used the officer to commit suicide and then unsuccessfully attempted mouth-to-mouth was considered abnormal. You would really need to sit down with an attorney and review your facts to know if your situation may be considered abnormal working conditions.
Q. I work for a small company of under 20 people. Is my employer required to offer workers' compensation?
A: I completely agree with Mr. Neiman. If a company has any employees they are legally required to have workers' compensation insurance.
Q. Still doing reguler position after ordered light duty?
A: First, if you feel your back problem is related to your job duties you need to report it to your employer as a work injury and fill out an accident report. Your employer should also provide you with a list of at least 6 doctors to choose from so that you can receive medical treatment. If the doctor provides you with restrictions, make sure you keep a copy of the restrictions so that you can show them to your supervisor. If your employer is unwilling to comply with work restrictions related to a work injury, you may be entitled to wage loss benefits Second, contact a local workers' compensation attorney. The initial consultation is always free, and they can help you navigate the workers' compensation system.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
The Belt Law Firm, PC
100 West Union Street
Kingston, PA 18704
Telephone: (570) 714-3343