My practice is limited primarily to two areas, driver's license reinstatement and DUI. My background affords you a unique perspective.
For all of your professional needs, call Ted at 217-525-0520.
For 15 years, I heard driver's license cases as a contractual hearing officer for the Secretary of State (DMV). This experiences has provided me with the opportunity to understand how the opposing side thinks and operates.
- DUI & DWI
- Traffic Tickets
- Driver's License Reinstatement
- Free Consultation
Initial telephone consultation with experienced and knowledgeable staff. I will follow up.
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover and Electronic Checks.
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
For driver's license hearings, partial payment with balance not due until day of hearing, affording you the opportunity to budget your fees.
- Harvatin Law Offices PC
- - Current
- I began practicing law in Springfield Illinois in 1981. In 2000, my partner became a judge, and I have been solo since that time. I formerly took on virtually any case. But the law has now grown too complicated for me to be "all things to all people". As a result, I limit my practice to a few areas, and I know the law in those areas quite well.
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- J.D. | Law
- Knox College
- B.A. | Ecnomics and Business
- Honors: Honors: Cum Laude Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Mensa Society
- Membership in Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test that has been properly administered and supervised. There is no other qualification or disqualification for membership eligibility.
- Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association
- - Current
- Activities: Statewide organization whose members, through the courts, public opinion and the elective process, advance the interests of injury victims.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Association of Illinois lawyers who work to improve the legal process.
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Springfield is the seat of government for Sangamon County. Abraham Lincoln practiced law here. The Association strives to carry on the traditions of Lincoln to improve the delivery of legal services to our community.
- Theodore J. Harvatin's Website Profile
- Harvatin Law Offices PC Website
- Illinois DUI Lawyer Blawg
- California Court Sentences a Defendant to Thirty Years in Prison for Second-Degree Murder Following a DUI Accident that Killed 6 People
12 December 2018
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ruling Dismissing Breath Test Results Due to Improperly Certified Machines Could Overturn 20,000 DUI Convictions
27 November 2018
- Maine Supreme Court Rules Extrinsic Evidence Can Be Used to Establish Enhancing Factors for an Aggravated DUI Charge
13 November 2018
- Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Evidence of a Refusal to Submit to a Warrantless Blood Test is Admissible to Show Guilt of DUI
27 October 2018
- Wyoming DUI Suspects Who Refuse to Comply with Warrants for Blood Tests Charged with Interference with a Peace Officer
12 October 2018
- Illinois Appellate Court Refuses to Find Officer’s Mistake of Law to be Made in Good Faith
26 September 2018
- Vermont Supreme Court Holds Refusal to Submit to Blood Test Admissible as Evidence of Guilt
13 September 2018
- Illinois Provides Clarification Regarding the Operation of Electric Bikes But the Law Remains Unclear Regarding the Operation of Gas Bikes
29 August 2018
- Florida Courts Faced with Increase in DUI Due to Intoxication by Inhalants
14 August 2018
- Q. My court date for a suspended license is on December 14. 1500 fee. Do I have to pay this fee before December 14?
- A: That isn’t the fee. It’s the bond amount if you don’t appear. Fines are assessed by a judge who will give you time to pay if you need.
- Q. What's the worst possible penalty for a first time DUI in IL?
- A: There are over a dozen ways it can be a felony. Assuming it’s not a felony it is a class A misdemeanor. A conviction carries a penalty of up to 364 days in jail and or a fine of up to $2500. Your driver’s license would be revoked and you would have to wait a year to petition the Secretary of State to return it to you, which is not automatic. Your license is subject to a suspension for 6-12 months independent of what happens to the criminal charges. There are ways to contest this as well. It would be worth getting a Springfield lawyer to help you achieve a better outcome than the max.
- Q. I went to court plead guilty for a ticket have to pay 306 can I request a continuance if I do not have the money to pay?
- A: Yes either continue it or put you on a payment plan
- Q. Second Aggravated Speeding Ticket while on an Aggravated Speeding ticket at 19 in Illinois. Jail?
- A: Probably need to hire a lawyer and try for supervision on at least one and maybe a speed reduction. Jail is unlikely but if you are convicted of both your license will be suspended probably for a year.
- Q. Kids were drinking at my house without my knowing, then got pulled over - am I on the hook at all?
- A: Highly unlikely without knowledge. You are not responsible for your kids' crimes in this situation if it's as you say it is.
- Q. Open seal alcohol ticket as passenger. Court supervision or conviction. Will this be on my driving record/insurance?
- A: Trick here is to make sure it gets reported as a passenger conviction 11-502 (b) not 502(a). If it’s don’t that way you don’t need supervision
- Q. Is it possible to disprove breathalyzer results?
- A: Yes but it is much harder than attacking blood test results provided it was properly administered.
- Q. Pulled over doing 102 mph in a 70 mph. My IA driver's license was expired since April. Do I need a lawyer ?
- A: Yes. You are facing a misdemeanor and a traffic ticket.
- Q. I got my first ticket ever driving 31mph over the speed limit in a construction zone. Will my license be suspended?
- A: No but it is a class B misdemeanor so you should try for a reduction in the speed and supervision