My practice is limited primarily to two areas, driver's license reinstatement and worker's compensation/personal injury. My background affords you a unique perspective.
For all of your professional needs, call Ted at 217-525-0520.
For 15 years, I heard driver's license cases as a contractual hearing officer for the Secretary of State (DMV). I previously represented insurance companies defending worker's compensation and personal injury cases. These experiences have provided me with the opportunity to understand how the opposing side thinks and operates.
- DUI & DWI
- Traffic Tickets
- Workers' Compensation
- Driver's License Reinstatement
- Free Consultation
Initial telephone consultation with experienced and knowledgeable staff. I will follow up.
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover and Electronic Checks.
- Contingent Fees
For worker's compensation and personal injury matters.
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
For driver's license hearings, partial payment with balance not due until day of hearing, affording you the opportunity to budget your fees.
- Harvatin Law Offices PC
- - Current
- I began practicing law in Springfield Illinois in 1981. In 2000, my partner became a judge, and I have been solo since that time. I formerly took on virtually any case. But the law has now grown too complicated for me to be "all things to all people". As a result, I limit my practice to a few areas, and I know the law in those areas quite well.
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- J.D. | Law
- Knox College
- B.A. | Ecnomics and Business
- Honors: Honors: Cum Laude Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Mensa Society
- Membership in Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test that has been properly administered and supervised. There is no other qualification or disqualification for membership eligibility.
- Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association
- - Current
- Activities: Statewide organization whose members, through the courts, public opinion and the elective process, advance the interests of injury victims.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Association of Illinois lawyers who work to improve the legal process.
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Springfield is the seat of government for Sangamon County. Abraham Lincoln practiced law here. The Association strives to carry on the traditions of Lincoln to improve the delivery of legal services to our community.
- DUI and Traffic Issues for the Defense, Updates to legislation and administrative rules governing Illinois Secretary of State Driver's License Hearings.
- DUI and Traffic Law Update, Updates to legislation and administrative rules governing Illinois Secretary of State Driver's License Hearings
- Theodore J. Harvatin's Website Profile
- Harvatin Law Offices PC Website
- Illinois DUI Lawyer Blawg
- Wyoming DUI Suspects Who Refuse to Comply with Warrants for Blood Tests Charged with Interference with a Peace Officer
12 October 2018
- Illinois Appellate Court Refuses to Find Officer’s Mistake of Law to be Made in Good Faith
26 September 2018
- Vermont Supreme Court Holds Refusal to Submit to Blood Test Admissible as Evidence of Guilt
13 September 2018
- Illinois Provides Clarification Regarding the Operation of Electric Bikes But the Law Remains Unclear Regarding the Operation of Gas Bikes
29 August 2018
- Florida Courts Faced with Increase in DUI Due to Intoxication by Inhalants
14 August 2018
- Kansas Courts Rule Computer Generated Translation Insufficient to Confer Consent
12 July 2018
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court to Rule on Whether a Suspect’s Refusal to Submit to Testing is Admissible as Evidence of Guilt
12 July 2018
- Drug Related Collisions Currently More Common than Alcohol Related Collisions
26 June 2018
- The Automobile Exception to the 4th Amendment Does Not Permit Warrantless Entry of a Home or Curtilage to Search a Vehicle
14 June 2018
- Q. Pulled over doing 102 mph in a 70 mph. My IA driver's license was expired since April. Do I need a lawyer ?
- A: Yes. You are facing a misdemeanor and a traffic ticket.
- Q. I got my first ticket ever driving 31mph over the speed limit in a construction zone. Will my license be suspended?
- A: No but it is a class B misdemeanor so you should try for a reduction in the speed and supervision
- Q. I have gotten two speeding tickets with a GDL. Is there any way I can avoid a license suspension?
- A: Try for court supervision. If both are in same county get a lawyer. I recommend David Winer
- Q. 1 d.u.i. only traffic offense ever, 11 years ago, sentenced to 365 in jail,how do i get D.L. back,
- A: You must have a hearing with the Secretary of State. You have to demonstrate that if you are given the right to drive you can do so without getting behind the wheel intoxicated. I do not understand how you were convicted of DUI in Sangamon County with ..095 BAC on a first offense. Anyway you should seek a lawyer for a better outcome on the hearing. There are hundreds of pages of rules that outline the requirements. If you see an informal hearing officer he or she will make it sound easy but there are lots of traps out there.
- Q. I am on two court supervisions one that expires in November of this year and the other one for a year.
- A: There are too many variables to answer other than to say it depends. Nothing happens automatically so get a lawyer and get ahead of it.
- Q. Hello currently i'm 20 and ill be 21 in 4 months and i just got my first ticket I was driving 20 over the speed limit
- A: No you will not be suspended if you are convicted but you can avoid a conviction by requesting court supervision.
- Q. What are the best defenses for getting out of a DUI charge in IL?
- A: Honestly to have even the slightest chance you need a lawyer. I cannot remember a person not represented who beat a DUI. That is not to say that a lawyer will beat it but if that’s what you are hoping to accomplish you need to hire professional
- Q. License pending suspension HELP PLS
- A: If the only reason the suspension is pending is bc you did not take the class, take the class.
- Q. I got stopped by the state police and got a white paper.
- A: If indeed it was a ticket, the white one is the original that he is supposed to turn into the judge's clerk so they can make a file. The writing on the original would be "wet ink" or in other words, it would not look like a copy. It almost sounds like he never processed it. But I don't know for sure.