My practice is limited primarily to two areas, driver's license reinstatement and DUI. My background affords you a unique perspective.
For all of your professional needs, call Ted at 217-525-0520.
For 15 years, I heard driver's license cases as a contractual hearing officer for the Secretary of State (DMV). This experiences has provided me with the opportunity to understand how the opposing side thinks and operates.
- DUI & DWI
- Traffic Tickets
- Social Security Disability
- Driver's License Reinstatement
- Free Consultation
Initial telephone consultation with experienced and knowledgeable staff. I will follow up.
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover and Electronic Checks.
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
For driver's license hearings, partial payment with balance not due until day of hearing, affording you the opportunity to budget your fees.
- Harvatin Law Offices PC
- - Current
- I began practicing law in Springfield Illinois in 1981. In 2000, my partner became a judge, and I have been solo since that time. I formerly took on virtually any case. But the law has now grown too complicated for me to be "all things to all people". As a result, I limit my practice to a few areas, and I know the law in those areas quite well.
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- J.D. | Law
- Knox College
- B.A. | Ecnomics and Business
- Honors: Honors: Cum Laude Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Mensa Society
- Membership in Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test that has been properly administered and supervised. There is no other qualification or disqualification for membership eligibility.
- Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association
- - Current
- Activities: Statewide organization whose members, through the courts, public opinion and the elective process, advance the interests of injury victims.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Association of Illinois lawyers who work to improve the legal process.
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Springfield is the seat of government for Sangamon County. Abraham Lincoln practiced law here. The Association strives to carry on the traditions of Lincoln to improve the delivery of legal services to our community.
- Theodore J. Harvatin's Website Profile
- Harvatin Law Offices PC Website
- Illinois DUI Lawyer Blawg
- Illinois Court Finds the Motor Vehicle Code Does Not Impose Implied Consent to Chemical Testing Absent an Arrest
15 January 2019
- Utah Court Rules Reasonable Suspicion Sufficient Grounds to Investigate for DUI
27 December 2018
- California Court Sentences a Defendant to Thirty Years in Prison for Second-Degree Murder Following a DUI Accident that Killed 6 People
12 December 2018
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ruling Dismissing Breath Test Results Due to Improperly Certified Machines Could Overturn 20,000 DUI Convictions
27 November 2018
- Maine Supreme Court Rules Extrinsic Evidence Can Be Used to Establish Enhancing Factors for an Aggravated DUI Charge
13 November 2018
- Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Evidence of a Refusal to Submit to a Warrantless Blood Test is Admissible to Show Guilt of DUI
27 October 2018
- Wyoming DUI Suspects Who Refuse to Comply with Warrants for Blood Tests Charged with Interference with a Peace Officer
12 October 2018
- Illinois Appellate Court Refuses to Find Officer’s Mistake of Law to be Made in Good Faith
26 September 2018
- Vermont Supreme Court Holds Refusal to Submit to Blood Test Admissible as Evidence of Guilt
13 September 2018
- Q. Can a speeding ticket with these errors be dismissed?
- A: Yes but the problem is the prosecutor can correct the errors unless jeopardy has attached.
- Q. I received a 3 tickets for speeding ( 15-20 over statutory limit ), operating uninsured motor vehicle , expired plates
- A: I think you are more likely to receive late compliance supervision on the no insurance ticket. That's better than a conviction which would result in a license suspension. However there will be a fine and a requirement to carry SR 22. See if you can get supervision on any tickets they won't drop but remember, you can only get supervision twice in a year. You have a fair number of moving parts. Might be worth paying a lawyer.
- Q. I received a ticket for improper right turn. No officer was present another party called the police.
- A: First off, notify your insurance agent ASAP in case there is a claim. Second, plead not guilty and find a lawyer.
- Q. I received a ticket for electronic device. I was not using it. The office asked me if it was in my hand. Not witnessed
- A: He probably will show. If not expect a dismissal. Hard to say from your description but it’s worth contesting.
- Q. What's the worst possible penalty for a first time DUI in IL?
- A: There are over a dozen ways it can be a felony. Assuming it’s not a felony it is a class A misdemeanor. A conviction carries a penalty of up to 364 days in jail and or a fine of up to $2500. Your driver’s license would be revoked and you would have to wait a year to petition the Secretary of State to return it to you, which is not automatic. Your license is subject to a suspension for 6-12 months independent of what happens to the criminal charges. There are ways to contest this as well. It would be worth getting a Springfield lawyer to help you achieve a better outcome than the max.
- Q. What would be the best way & proper way for a minor to ask for court supervision on a misdemeanor speeding ticket?
- A: First off, you must have a parent or guardian present so they should be asking these questions
- Q. Can you receive 2 tickets for the same thing even though you didn't receive the first ticket copy? Should I fight it?
- A: The ticket is valid. It can be served in person by mail or left on the windshield. You should bring proof to court that you have a valid registration and paid a ticket once. These are not legal defenses but may result in a better outcome
- Q. My son is 14y/o . Took my car without permission. Got tickets Driving without license, curfew and illegal turn. What ca
- A: If he is convicted he won’t be able to get a license until he is 18
- Q. Will I need the money for a traffic ticket (speeding) when I go to court, or can I pay it afterwards?
- A: They will give you time to pay.