Free Consultation: (850) 502-9724Tap to Call This Lawyer
Terrence H Thorgaard

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Estate Planning...
  • Alaska, Florida
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska, where I practiced law from 1977. I was a municipal attorney for the first part of my legal career, and then switched to private practice. I conducted a general private law practice, with emphasis in civil litigation and bankruptcy. I also taught several college-level courses relating to various aspects of the law. In 2004, my family and I moved to Florida and have been here ever since. From 2011 to 2015 I worked for another lawyer in Walton County, assisting him in his office, especially with scheduling of attendance at real estate foreclosure hearings in behalf of secured creditors. I was admitted to the Florida bar in 2016.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Municipal Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Probate
  • Tax Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil
  • Aviation Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
9th Circuit
U.S. Court of Claims
U.S. District (& Bankruptcy) Court - Northern District of Florida
U.S. District (& Bankruptcy) Court, District of Alaska
U.S. Tax Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • French: Spoken, Written
  • German: Spoken, Written
University of Alaska - Fairbanks
B.A. (1973) | History
University of Puget Sound
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
4206 Questions Answered

Q. How do I split security with lease in 2 names, and tenant who's name is on security account left before lease is up?
A: The statute that applies can be found here: Send a check to her, at her last known address. No, as you suspect, he has no right to any of it. Use a check, do not deal in cash. And no, you can't keep it.
Q. I haven't paid my mortgage in almost 2 years and the bank is foreclosing. Can I save my house by filing for bankruptcy?
A: No. The mortgagee will probably be able to get relief from the automatic stay.
Q. If father precedes step mom in death. When my step mom passes as his sole heir, can father family be excluded as heirs?
A: Yes, if he was not the subject of undue influence, and if he was mentally competent when he made his will, he could, if it was done properly, disinherit children and other family members.
Q. I filed for divorce a while back. Courts found parenting plan requirement to be moot at this time. What does that mean?
A: Hard to say without knowing more. The word "moot" means that the circumstances make it so that, while it was important at one time, it no longer matters either way.
Q. My daughter had a child out of wedlock in NM. Her spouse is in jail and left her w/o support. She moved to FL w/me.
A: And Florida courts will only have jurisdiction to award custody when the child has lived in Florida for at least six months (or if the child is under six months of age, for most of the child's life).
Q. Can I detain a person who has committed a felony?
A: Good question. Florida Statute 776.012 provides, in pertinent part, as follows:  "Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.— (1) ... (2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be." Thus you can only use force to detain someone when you are doing so to "prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony". I don't see any statutory justification for a person such as yourself who is not a peace officer detaining someone who has ALREADY committed a felony, as opposed to detaining someone ABOUT TO do so. And of course one can use force, even deadly force under the right circumstances, to protect oneself or another person. See Florida Statute 776.013. For further information, use this link:
Q. what can happen if my daughter's father gets a lawyer and is taking me to court cause child support started.
A: He's contesting your court action by which you are seeking child support? If you are represented in the proceeding, ask your attorney.
Q. How do you sue someone's estate?
A: If he left significant assets when he died, someone may have petitioned the court for probate of his estate. The personal representative appointed in that case is who you would contact. Check the website for the clerk of court in your county to find out if such a case has been filed. And of course you should have an attorney to do this for you. You may be able to find an attorney who will do this on a contingent fee basis.
Q. kids are 19, 20 and 21 can I file a civil suit for unpaid support? I’ve never received his taxes due to him not filing.
A: If you have a child support order, you don't need to file a new suit; collect the CS order. If you have proof that he owns the business and vehicles, and he lied about it under oath, he can be prosecuted for perjury, and you can perhaps, once you prove it, get a writ of attachment.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
51 Cross Creek Circle
Freeeport, FL 32439
Cell: (850) 502-9724