Free Consultation: (866) 252-0735Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steven Mark Sweat

Steven Mark Sweat

Improving lives, one client at a time!
  • Personal Injury, Employment Law, Products Liability...
  • California
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Steven M. Sweat is an award winning personal injury attorney based in Los Angeles, California. He is the principal founding member of Steven M. Sweat, APC. The firm has been representing the victims of negligence and wrongdoing throughout California seek compensation for personal injury and wrongful death in a variety of contexts including but, not limited to auto accidents, bicycle mishaps, boating accidents, commercial and residential property accidents including slip and trip and falls and negligent security claims, dog bites, explosions and fires, motorcycle crashes, nursing home and elder abuse, railroad collisions, sexual assault and abuse claims, truck and big rig accidents, and a variety of other issues. Mr. Sweat has been named a "Personal Injury Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters News Service and Los Angeles Magazine for many, consecutive years, putting him in the top 5% of personal injury lawyer in the State of California. He is rated at the top of many other professional attorney rating systems including being a perfect 10.0 "Superb" in the AVVO rating system. Mr. Sweat came from a working class background and had to pay his own way through college and law school. He knows what it is like to struggle and to persevere and overcome obstacles. He is a fighter, through and through, and has been described as a "pit bull with a huge heart." He stands ready, willing and able to help anyone in need to obtain justice!

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Employment Law
  • Products Liability
  • Insurance Claims
  • Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
  • Consumer Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
    No fees charged unless and until money is recovered for you.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • Korean: Spoken
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Steven M. Sweat, APC
Florida State Univ
Undergraduate Degree
California Western School of Law
Law Degree
Super Lawyer - Personal Injury Plaintiff
Thomson Reuters News Service / Los Angeles Magazine
Rated among the top five percent of attorneys and lawyers in California practicing in the area of representing individuals injured or the families of those killed by negligent or wrongful acts.
Super Lawyer - Personal Injury Plaintiff
Thomson Reuters News Service / Los Angeles Magazine
Super Lawyer - Personal Injury Plaintiff
Thomson Reuters News Service / Los Angeles Magazine
The Litigator Award
Trial Lawyers Board of Regents
Top 100 Trial Attorneys
The National Trial Lawyers
Super Lawyer - Personal Injury - Plaintiff
Thomson Reuters News Service / Los Angeles Magazine
Super Lawyer - Personal Injury - Plaintiff
Thomson Reuters
Super Lawyer
Thomson Rueters
Elected a Super Lawyer for 2012 in the area of Personal Injury - Plaintiff.
Professional Associations
Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Charities
Honorary Board Member
- Current
Consumer Attorneys of California
- Current
Consumer Attorneys of California
- Current
Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles
- Current
Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles
- Current
California State Bar # 181867
- Current
Articles & Publications
California Accident Attorneys Blog
Speaking Engagements
Headline Speaker, Circle of Legal Trust - Annual Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada
Circle of Legal Trust
Headline speaker talking about marketing a personal injury law practice using social media and other online marketing techniques.
Top 100 Trial Lawyer
National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Websites & Blogs
Top Los Angeles Personal Injury Law Firms
Los Angeles Injury Lawyer Blog
California Accident Attorneys Blog
California Sexual Abuse and Assault Victims Attorney and Lawyer
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. I was riding my bike and was hit by a car.he was on his phone got7 stitches what affair amount to take
A: The value of any personal injury claim including a bicycle accident is broken down into two basic categories as follows: (1) Economic Damages: These are the out of pocket costs associated with the incident. They include the reasonable value of your medical expenses, lost wages from time missed from work as a result of being injured and not able to perform your job or to go to doctor's appointments, and the property damages (in this case the cost of either repairing or replacing your bike) (2) Non-Economic Damages: This is compensation for both the physical pain associated with your injuries and the emotional distress related to being hit by a car on your bike. It is also meant to compensate you for the disruption the incident caused to your daily activities like work, home chores, exercising, leisure activities, etc. While Economic Damages are fairly easy to calculate, general damages can be maximized by providing information on what the incident caused you to undergo. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer knows what these cases generally settle for and can advocate for you to maximize the value of the claim.
Q. Can someone claim all medical bills $7,000 in a car accident, but pay only the 50.00 deductible and keep all the rest.
A: I agree with the other answers that your son may have a breach of contract claim and/or a claim for "detrimental reliance" against the person he was paying for the auto insurance. If the passenger claimed injury, the "reasonable value" of her medical expenses will be what was paid by health insurance (not what was billed) plus the $50 deductible, plus general damages for pain and suffering. There may be a liability claim against the grandfather (as registered owner) and your son, as the driver. Your son should try to work something out with the passenger as a settlement.
Q. Hi.I was at home with debilitating back pain for 20 months. I was doing back chiropractic exercises to get better. My
A: If the injury occurred while you were working, you should immediately consult a workers compensation attorney. You may be eligible for temporary disability benefits that could help pay living expenses while you continue to heal.
Q. Can I sue for miscarriage cost?
A: Although I feel for your situation and from a "moral" standpoint, your boyfriend should help, forcing him to do so by way of a civil lawsuit would be very difficult in my opinion. Seek out legal advice immediately and provide more facts if you want to pursue the claim.
Q. how long do I have to pursue this claim.
A: I agree with the answers above, the fact that it was dismissed without prejudice may allow you to re-file but, does not necessarily allow you to file beyond the statute of limitations period. You should consult an attorney immediately about the facts of your particular case.
Q. Can I get pain and suffering money?
A: From the information you provide, this sounds like a very minor impact claim with no physical injuries. If this is the case, any claim for pure "emotional distress" would, unfortunately, not have enough value to pursue in my opinion.
Q. I was involved as the driver in an accident where a pedestrian was injured last year. what type attorney should I seek
A: You should immediately report the accident to your insurance carrier if you haven't done so already. They will assign a claims adjuster who will contact the person you hit or their legal representative and attempt to resolve any claims. If a lawsuit is filed, they will also provide a defense attorney to defend any claims. If you were driving under the influence or are being accused of a crime related to the incident, you should hire a criminal defense attorney as well.
Q. Someone hit my car, and begged me not to file anything since they didn't have a license. What do I do?
A: First, you should report this to your own insurance carrier as failure to promptly report an accident may be grounds for denial of a claim. You should provide them with this person's information and driver's license. If you have collision coverage, ask if they can repair your vehicle and waive the deductible given that there is a third party who appears to be at fault.
Q. Dog bite damages
A: In general, a dog owner is "strictly liable" if their pet bites another person pursuant to California Civil Code 3342 (i.e. one need not prove that the dog had shown any prior propensity to bite someone). However, you are correct that "damages" must be proven. Such damages are not limited to so called "economic" or out of pocket costs like medical expenses or lost wages, CA law also provides for the award of "non-economic damages" for emotional distress caused by the incident as well. You may appeal the decision to the Superior Court, however, it would likely stand up as within the "discretion" of the judge (as you state).
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Main Office Location
5757 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 450
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Toll-Free: (866) 252-0735
Telephone: (323) 944-0993
Fax: (323) 592-3163
West Covina - San Gabriel Valley, California
100 N. Barranca Street #250
West Covina, CA 91791
Telephone: (626) 296-3555
Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, North Hollywood
100 North Brand Boulevard, Suite 636
Glendale, CA 91203
Telephone: (818) 296-0981
Norwalk Downey California
12631 Imperial Hwy #104
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Telephone: (562) 270-3120
Steven M. Sweat, APC - Coachella Valley
77-711 Flora Road Suite 301
Palm Desert, CA 92211
Telephone: (760) 671-3410
The Antelope Valley CA
1607 E Palmdale Blvd #B-1
Palmdale, CA 93550
Telephone: (661) 224-2004
Orange County California
7755 Center Ave #1100
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Telephone: (714) 587-2870
San Bernardino County, CA
3535 Inland Empire Blvd., Suite 45A
Ontario, CA 91764