Free Consultation: (757) 955-7739Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steve Miyares

Steve Miyares

Your guide you to navigate the legal maze.
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets...
  • Virginia
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

A resident of Virginia Beach for over 30 years, Mr. Miyares has deep roots in our community. A graduate of Kellam High School in Virginia Beach, Mr. Miyares went on to attend Old Dominion University in Norfolk. After earing a B.S. in Political Science in 2000, Mr Miyares earned his J.D. in 2003 from the T.C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond. After his admission to the Virginia Bar in 2003, Mr. Miyares proudly worked in the office of the Norfolk Public Defender. During 8 years in that office, Mr. Miyares gained valuable trial practice experience defending all types of cases ranging from minor misdemeanors to serious violent felony offenses. In 2011, Mr. Miyares teamed up with a collegue to form the law firm of Miyares and Knight, P.C. and expanded his practice to include additional areas of civil litigation. Since 2013 when his partner left the practice of law, Mr. Miyares has worked as a solo practitioner focused on developing strong attorney-client relationships that combine efforts to make sure the client fully understands the law in his or her case with aggressive trial representation to protect the client's interests.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Divorce
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial consultation and case evaluation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards
  • Contingent Fees
    Schedule a free consultation for full fee details and arrangements
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Steven Miyares
- Current
Miyares & Knight, P.C.
Assistant Public Defender
Norfolk Public Defender's Office
University of Richmond School of Law
J.D. (2003)
University of Richmond School of Law Logo
Old Dominion University
B.S. (2000) | Political Science
Old Dominion University Logo
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar # 65755
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
218 Questions Answered

Q. I'm moving to Canada and I have no court order to even have visitation of my son how do I make it so he can visit me?
A: Moving to Canad is a significant chamge in circumstances since the Court last made a custody decision 5 years ago. Based on the chang in circumstances, you can petitin the court to modify the visitation schedule from the prior order. You should consult with an attorney to help you pursue the best optins in your particular situation.
Q. what happens if a parent isn't following a visitation order to see his children?
A: The court has no power to force a noncustodial parent to exercise visitation. When the court orders visitation, it is ensuring that the noncustodial parent is not denied an opportunity to spend time with their children. If the parent chooses to jot take that opportunity and chooses to not see their children, the court can’t force them to visit.
Q. Hi there, I live in Marion VA. I have a daughter that is 15 years old. Can she have say so in visitation?
A: One of the statutory factors a Virginia court must consider in visitation orders is the preference of the child in light of the child’s age and maturity level. Therefore, the court would not have put much weight on the preference of a 6 year old child, the court would give more consideration to the preference of a 15 year old child along with all the other factors the court must consider. You should consult with a family law attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and to discuss your options, including the possibility of returning to court to modify the visitation order. Good luck
Q. If a spouse is not on a deed or mortgage and they get divorced in VA , does the spouse have any rights to home equity?
A: It would have been separate property going into the marriage. But aftergetting married, if the marital assets or the othersousr were used to pay for it, then it could have become arital property in full or in part. To keep it separate property, it should have been paid for and maintained with non-marital assets. You be preparedwith a detailed accounting of how it was paid for andany improvements made during the marriage then meet with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation. The details will make abig difference in a court deciding whether it remained fully separate property or whethet it was fully or partially converted to marital property
Q. U felony 18 2 95 is that a serious charge also a you felony 18.2 108.0 1 and a larceny 6
A: Anytime you are facing a felony chage like these, it is a serious matter. You should speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney in the local jurisdoction where the charges are pending.
Q. Can I get just probation for my first simple possession of meth charge in Tennessee?
A: You need to ask a lawyer licensed in Tennessee
Q. If you are below .08 can you still get arrested for drunk driving?
A: Yes. The issue is whether or not you were impaired by driving. A BAC of .08 creates the presumption that you were impaired. However other evidence, such as your performance on field sobriety tests or statements regarding your consumption of alcohol, can be used to establish that your driving was impaired.
Q. I am trying to find out if I someone can sue me after I sold them a car?
A: Who has title to the car? That person is the owner and is the one with authority to sell it. If you are not the legal owner if the vehicle, then you did not have legal authority to sell it. You should consult privately with an attorney to review all the facts and circumstances of your situation and advise you on the best course if action for you.
Q. how long does alimony have to be paid
A: It depends on the terms of any separation agreement you entered and/or the court’s order. If your agreement doesn’t specify an end date or other terminating condition, then it would likely be indefinite. Under Virginia law, generally spousal support would terminate upon 1) remarriage or cohabitation by the party recieving the spoisal support 2)or the death of the parties. However, the terms of the separation agreement can still require spousal support be paid even if the other party remarries. You should take any agreements and/or court orders and consult with an attorney to answer your wuestion based on the specific facts and curcumstances of your case.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
5900 East Virginia Beach Blvd.
Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
Telephone: (757) 955-7739
Fax: (757) 644-1290