Stephen M Vincent

Stephen M Vincent

Attorney at State 48 Law
  • Divorce, Family Law, Appeals & Appellate ...
  • Arizona
Review This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
David Pierce Uffens
David Pierce Uffens February 9, 2021
Rating: 10 Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
Mr. Vincent is a tremendous asset to the legal community and a highly recommended lawyer. Clients will be impressed with his ability to communicate with them honestly and understand their legal needs, with his high character, and with his efficient and effective representation.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Stephen Vincent is a founding member and attorney at State 48. Stephen has a passion for the law and teaching. He has combined those loves as the head of new client intake and head of legal education programs. He also is the firm’s main researcher and works on all appellate cases.

Stephen Vincent, Attorney, is a lifelong writer who uses this skill to explain clearly and memorably a client’s case to judges. A native of St. George, Utah, Stephen attended Arizona State University for law school where he interned for the Goldwater Institute and worked as a Justice Court mediator. After law school, Stephen worked for a year at the Washington County (Utah) Attorney’s Office. While there, he drafted county ordinances, assisted in homicide prosecutions, and headed up a major project to protect the county’s access to federal lands.

Before law school, Stephen worked as a sportswriter in Utah. He has also taught writing and communication courses at Southern Utah University and Dixie State University. Because of his background as a professional writer and writing instructor, Stephen is the ideal person to tell your story. Stephen loves sports and spending time with his 24 nieces and nephews.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Appeals & Appellate
Arbitration & Mediation
Family - Arbitration/Mediation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Arizona
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Client Intake Attorney and Appellate Attorney
State 48 Law
- Current
Senior Attorney
Best Law Firm
Special Deputy County Attorney
Washington County (Utah) Attorney's Office
Arizona State University
J.D. (2013) | Law
Honors: Four-time Pedrick Scholar (Dean's List) CALI Award in Arizona Media Law
Arizona State University Logo
Southern Utah University
M.A. (2008) | Communication
Southern Utah University Logo
Brigham Young University
B.A. (2004) | Communications (Print Journalism). Minor: English
Brigham Young University Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Top Family Law Lawyers in Scottsdale
Firm Award
Professional Associations
State Bar of Arizona  # 030779
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
State 48 Law
State 48 Law Blog
Legal Answers
237 Questions Answered
Q. My son was born in a different state. What are the steps for filing for "Joint Custody"?
A: The first is to determine what state has jurisdiction.

For that we first look to what state is the home state. The home state is either

(1) the state your son was born in, if it's the only state he has ever lived in;


(2) the state where he most recently resided for six consecutive months.

If there's question beyond that, it gets very complex legally, and you should consult with an attorney

Presuming Arizona has jurisdiction, the first step is to file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Legal Decision-making, Parenting Time, and Child Support with the Court and have it served on the other parent.
Q. I recently went thru a divorce in Az..In the decree we were ordered to split the debts owed
A: I certainly understand your frustration because it seems like contempt should be the right vehicle for your situation.

The answer to your question is complicated and confusing: Property division (which includes the allocation of debts) are not enforceable by contempt proceedings. They can only be enforced by a Petition to Enforce. This is because Arizona's Constitution prohibits throwing someone in prison for non-payment of debts.

Therefore, in multiple cases, Arizona's Supreme Court and Court of Appeals have held that contempt proceedings are improper for trying to force someone to pay a debt they are ordered to pay in the Divorce Decree. (I point out that ARS 25-318(P) specifically references contempt for non-payment of debts, but that's not the current accepted interpretation of Arizona's property statutes).

Realistically, one imprisonment is off the table, there's not much difference between enforcement and contempt. So I recommend you consider filing the Petition to Enforce.
... Read More
Q. Is it legal for a mother to keep children from the father for no reason?
A: Your question gets into some legal complexities, but the short answer is that it is not illegal. I'm going to presume they are not married. If they are married, this question has a different answer.

Under Arizona's custodial interference statute, when a child is born out of wedlock, and custody has not been established, Mothers have full custody. In other words, prior to a custody order being issued, a father could be arrested for withholding; a mother cannot be arrested for withholding the child.

The father should consider going to Court to establish his rights to legal decision-making and parenting time (traditionally, legal custody and physical custody) as soon as possible. Once he does, he has the same rights the Mother does, and the Court must determine custody based on what is in the best interests of the child. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
State 48 Law
14500 N Northsight Blvd
Suite 313
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Telephone: (602) 649-1325
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 12 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.