Mr. Stephen McFarlane concentrates his practice representing businesses and individuals before the IRS and all other federal and state tax authorities. His experience spans US Tax Court, Arizona Tax Court, IRS Collections, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Appeals, Foreign Account Reporting and Tax Law, Arizona Sales Tax (TPT) Audits, Worker’s Unemployment Tax audits and disputes.
Tax Litigation, Administrative Tax Audits, Tax Audits, Tax Collection Matters, Income Tax Audits, Employment Tax Issues, State Tax Representation, in Scottsdale, Mesa, Phoenix, Cave Creek, Glendale, and Gilbert, Maricopa County
- Tax Law
- Business Law
- Elder Law
- IRS & Arizona Tax Controversy
- Corporate and Limited Liability Company Law
- Guardianship Conservatorship
- Probate & Trust Admin
- Tax Return Preparation
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Federal District Ct (Ariz)
- Federal District Ct (Colo)
- US Tax Court
- French: Spoken, Written
- German: Spoken
- Tax Attorney
- McFarlane Law - A Tax Law Firm
- - Current
- Mr. Stephen McFarlane concentrates his practice representing businesses and individuals before the IRS and all other federal and state tax authorities. His experience spans US Tax Court, Arizona Tax Court, IRS Collections, Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Payment Plans, Appeals, Foreign Account Reporting and Tax Law, Arizona Sales Tax (TPT) Audits, Worker’s Unemployment Tax audits and disputes.
- Tax Attorney & Partner
- Bredemann & McFarlane, PLC
- FORMER IRS TRIAL ATTORNEY. TAX CONTROVERSY: Represents taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR), and local and city taxing agencies. PROPERTY TAX CONTROVERSY: Represents commercial and residential property owners before the County Assessor's Offices, the State Board of Equalization, the Arizona Tax Court and all administrative agencies and the Attorney General's Office. BUSINESS FORMATION: Assists in selecting the proper form of entity and in the formation and filing of that entity with the state. Negotiates and drafts operating agreements, contracts, buy-sell provisions. Assists in preparing past due tax returns and negotiating payment plans with the IRS and ADOR. BUSINESS SALES AND PURCHASES: We counsel our clients in the optimal sales or purchase structure - from both a tax and business perspective. We draft the necessary documentation to memorialize the transaction, including: purchase and sale agreement; buy-sell agreements; employment agreements; non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure, and other restrictive agreements. We also file needed tax return information and statements. TATE PLANNING: We draft revocable living trusts, irrevocable trusts, ILITS, powers of attorney, and pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. GUARDIANSHIPS and CONSERVATORSHIPS: We represent persons needing the protection and oversight of the state through a court appointed guardian and conservator. We practice elder law. PROBATE: Our firm assists surviving family members and relatives with the probate of a deceased person's will, either in a formal court setting or informally. We represent interested parties in their probate controversies and probate litigation. TRUST ADMINISTRATION: Often times the survivng spouse and family members need an attorney to assist them through the comlexities of trust administration. We assist our clients in understanding the trust and other estate planning documentation and direct them efficiently through the complex processes.
- Tax & Probate Attorney
- The Law Office of Stephen J. McFarlane, PLC
- Tax controversy: IRS, Az Dept of Revenue, property tax appeals, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Probate, Guardianship Conservatorship, LLC Partnership, contracts and agreements
- Associate Attorney
- Beus, Gilbert & Morrill, PLLC
- Practice specialized in business & LLC formation; partnership and corporate tax transactions; federal, state and local tax controversy; and tax planning; estate planning; asset protection; US Tax Court; Arizona Tax Court; Arizona property tax before the Maricopa County Assessor's Office, the State Board of Equalization, and administrative agencies and the Attorney General's Office. Assistant Editor, Journal of Arizona Taxation, a publication by Morrill & Aronson, PLC.
- Corporate Counsel/President/CEO
- McFarlane Brewing Company, LLC
- Start-up operations
- Assistant District Counsel Litigation Attorney
- Department of the Treasury
- Represented the government, and primarily the Internal Revenue Service, in its day to day activities; litigated federal individual income tax, corporate tax, partnership tax, employment tax, estate tax, and other fiduciary tax cases before the US Tax Court; represented IRS agents in their legal issues; reviewed audited cases for purposes of applying civil fraud or criminal fraud penalties; reviewed CID cases for appropriate seizure and forfeiture action; analyzed and drafted position memorandums for various legal issues; interacted with revenue agents, supervisors, revenue officers, appeals officers, the District Director, the Regional Director, and all levels of administration; interacted with US Tax Court judges.
- Boston University School of Law
- LL.M. (1990) | Tax Law; Tax Controversy
- mastery of tax laws and IRS procedures; representation of taxpayers before the US Tax Court
- Honors: Master's Degree in Tax Law
- Activities: BU Journal of Tax Law; US Tax Court Taxpayer Representation Program
- Thunderbird, The International Graduate School of Business Management
- MBA, Int'l Finance | Int'l Bsn Management
- Honors: Master's Degree in International Management & Business Administration
- Marquette University
- BA (PolSci); BA (Fren); Minor (Phil) (1978) | Politcal Science; Philosophy; French Civilization
- Honors: National Politcal Science Honor Society; National French Honor Society
- Activities: President, French Club
- Univ of Strasbourg, France
- other | Science Politique; French
- Arizona State Bar
- - Current
- Tax Law Arizona - Stephen McFarlane
- Tax Law Arizona - Stephen McFarlane
- I took an Early Withdrawal from my Retirement Account. Now what?
4 April 2019
- Is your Business Subject to a Transaction Privilege (Sales) or Use Tax Audit?
10 October 2018
- The $10,000 Federal Tax Deduction Limit on Payments for State & Local Taxes
31 May 2018
- Considerations for Taxpayers Who Need to Amend a Return
23 May 2018
- Missed the 2017 tax return filing or payment deadline? Here is what you need to do
15 May 2018
- How Long Should I Maintain My Tax Records?
14 May 2018
- How Does the TCJA Effect the 2018 Tax Year Inflation Adjustments
21 April 2018
- IRS Audit Rates Continue Downward Spiral
21 April 2018
- Small Business Employers: Are Your Workers Classified Correctly?
11 January 2018