Sean R Hanover

Sean R Hanover

Criminal Practice (trial and procedures)
  • Business Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law...
  • District of Columbia, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Hanover has been working in the legal arena since graduating with double Master Degrees in Employment Law (HR) and Union Law (Industrial Relations) in 1996. He obtained his JD from the University of the District of Columbia in 2008 and maintains a vibrant practice focusing on immigration, bankruptcy, criminal defense, and business law. In a twist he never saw coming, Mr. Hanover has become accomplished at defending gang members and individuals convicted of drug offenses in immigration court.

In addition to his law practice, Mr. Hanover also owns an IT consulting company, HHC, Inc. based in Fairfax, VA. This company focuses on Drupal development, a form of open-source PHP/MySQL CMS. His experience as an IT Business owner has provided excellent and useful insight for his small to medium size business legal clients working in commercial, non-profit and government sectors.

Mr. Hanover is a member of the VA Bar, DC Bar, American Bar Association, and American Immigration Lawyers Association. For more information on his business background, visit his LinkedIN profile, and his Zoom Info profile.


To contact our firm, please visit

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Employment Law
  • Family Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Master, Visa, and AmEx
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Base hourly rate is $300. Initial consult is $300 (at the office), but waived if retained. Phone consults are generally free. Typical divorce starts at $2000; immigration defense starts at $2500; criminal representation varies. Payment plans are available. We honor certain pre-paid legal plans, too.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
  • French: Written
  • German: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Criminal Practice (trial and procedures)
Human Resources/Union Law (employment)
Immigration (procedural and litigation)
Business Law (formation and contracts)
St. Francis College (BA)
St. Francis College (MA's)
University of the District of Columbia (JD)
Meritorious Service during Desert Storm
Department of the Army
Professional Associations
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law
- Current
Activities: Immigration Law
Fairfax Volunteer Bar
- Current
Activities: Voluntary bar
Speaking Engagements
AILA Immigration Conference, Paralegal Practice, Las Vegas, NV
Presenting on asylum defense and strategies.
Certified Bankruptcy Procedures
DC Bar
Advanced Trial Tactics
DC Bar
Immigration Law
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Can a judge order an abuser to pay a petitioner's legal fees, as well as pay rent, as part of a civil protection order?
A: Great question! So, when you file in DC for a protective order, you ask what relief you are seeking. When you go to Court, the judge will complete (or you will settle with the opposing side) an order regarding your motion for a protective order. A section on that "order" includes payment of home expenses, attorney fees, etc. Note, however, generally, a person cannot be forced to pay rent unless they are on the lease and have been paying already. When going to Court, it is important to provide evidence of the abuse, and why it would be fair to have the "abuser" pay anything. There is a difference between an order to "stay away" and making the individual pay on going rent payments. That will require a compelling reason. Generally, the Court won't cover your attorney fees unless the abuse was particularly bad. The ticket to success in protective custody hearings (held on the first floor of the Courthouse on 500 Indiana Avenue) is settlement. Most folks don't want a protective order on their record. To avoid that, they will consent to a settlement that could well include rent payments. However, make sure you chat with an attorney before agreeing to anything. We would be glad to help!
Q. What constitutes voting shares in the eyes of the IRS?
A: Great question! In answer, a "voting share" refers to a class of shares, the possession of which entitled the bearer to vote on matters related to the corporation or organization. As such, you need to look at the corporate charter, or depending on the structure of an LLC, the operating agreement, to determine what class of shares (or units) have the right to vote. Need help reviewing a charter to determine which class of shares can vote? Feel free to reach out to me directly at 703-402-2723 or
Q. Must a Maryland employer pay the salary of employee who lives in DC and is required to serve on a jury at DC Supr Ct?
A: In regards to your question about whether this all applies to DC as it does to an MD proceeding, the simple answer is "no." The code section referenced above only applies to actions in an MD court, and the reach of the MD law only covers hearings that the MD Court can control or enforce. Because DC is outside of Maryland's jurisdiction, it cannot control the behavior of individuals attending, or not attending jury in those jurisdictions. There is no "jury consideration" reciprocity between jurisdictions. However, as if the individual is exempt, MD does not recognize a legal payroll deduction for jury time, so payment would have to be made (subject to being offset by anything paid to the employee by the Court). Hourly employees are not required to be paid in either jurisdiction. If the employer terminates the employee, they will run afoul of the US Federal Labor Laws. This would potentially give rise to a federal case of employment discrimination. The Dept. of Labor specifically forbids termination due to jury duty, and reclassifies exempt employees who are "docked" jury time as as non-exampted (this has the potential of costing the employer a considerable amount in unpaid overtime and hourly wages). A succinct summary is here: See also: which reads in part: (28 USC 1875) "(a) No employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, intimidate, or coerce any permanent employee by reason of such employee’s jury service, or the attendance or scheduled attendance in connection with such service, in any court of the United States."
Q. If a child was pushed to direct them in the room in which they were asked to to their chores
A: I would recommend contacting us at your earliest convenience. This matter is serious. In response to your question -- yes, you can be charged with assault. Assault is the unwanted touching (or imminent threat of touching) of another without privilege and without consent. DC Code 22-404(a) covers the charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 180 days. In your example above, you shoved or pushed the child. That would be sufficient to show a touching. The degree of the injury makes you look bad, but in fact, does not rise to the level of an aggravated assault, so is not entirely relevant to the charge (only the sentence). It is still a simple assault. The assault occurred when you shoved. I would be concerned about a DCPS investigation regarding treatment of the child in the home, as likely this was reported as a result of a teacher or some other individual seeing the rug burns or bruise on the face. In terms of custody, it would be entirely likely to see an opposing side (i.e. an ex partner or spouse) use this type of conduct to show the child is unsafe in the home, and move to have custody changed. Please reach out to us, or another lawyer of your choice, to get help with this quickly. Mistakes made at the initial stage (i.e. you making statements to the investigator, or police) can be a critical problem down the road. Be very careful here.
Q. Is there anything I can do to stop my daughter's father from obtaining a birth certificate and SSN?
A: It is not likely the Court will agree to prevent the lawful father, who has rights to visit and be with his child, from obtaining her birth certificate and/or social security number. For that matter, he can file with the state to get a copy of the birth certificate himself. You need to be careful not to appear to be purposefully hindering the father in obtaining something that he has a legal right to have. If you have concerns about what he is doing, you need to be able to explain what they are. Your doubts about health insurance, or anything else, alone is not enough – you need to show where this information will actually harm your daughter.
Q. Is it possible to get 18 months for armed robbery
A: In order to determine a "range" for a specific crime, you need to look at the sentencing guidelines. You can find them online for the District of Columbia at You need to know both the offense being charged, and any enhancements or aggravating elements that could make the crime more serious. The most common form of enhancement is prior offenses. Like many jurisdictions, DC works on a point system. For example, prior convictions for serious crimes carries a "+ point score" of +3. Misdemeanors are +1. Generally, any conviction AND sentence within 10 years will add points to the score table. Armed robbery itself falls on master group 5 with a range from 36 months to 120 months. Although these are suggestive (voluntary) guidelines, the Court will almost always follow them. Of course, enhancements or aggravating factors will make this much higher. To deviate from this, you need an excellent and compelling reason. Speak to your attorney -- or contact us and we can help.
Q. How do I file Reversionary interest
A: A reversionary interest is a legal right in some sort of property, real or personal. This sort of interest is created at the inception of the property.
Q. What is the amount of time till you can file wrongful death in virginia?
A: You must file a wrongful death suit within two years after the death. However, if the decedent died more than two years after the injury without having brought suit, the action is barred.
Q. How much time is someone looking at for taking indecent liberties with a child in a custodial or supervisory.
A: This is a class 5 felony which carries a maximum penalty of not more than 12 months confinement, but probation can last from 1-10 years. The age of the child will affect your time. If the child was 15 at the time of the incident then the amount of time will likely be from 1-6 months confinement. If the child was 1 at the time of the incident, you will likely get closer to the maximum.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Hanover Law - VA Offices
2751 Prosperity Ave.
Suite 150
Fairfax, VA 22031
Toll-Free: (800) 579-9864
Telephone: (703) 745-2607
Fax: (360) 294-2165
Hanover Law
888 16th St., NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006
Cell: (703) 402-2723