Sarah Lynn Ruffi

Sarah Lynn Ruffi

  • Business Law, Collections, Landlord Tenant...
  • Wisconsin
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

You won't find business as usual around here!

The Ruffi team understands how distracting and time consuming legal needs can be. Sarah Ruffi founded Ruffi Law Offices, S.C. in 2004 with a clear vision to create a law practice with a broad base of business law experience designed to make legal issues worry-free. Sarah strives to give all of her clients peace of mind by being their in-house counsel at the other end of the telephone line.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Real Estate Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Employment Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept MasterCard and Visa
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Marquette University Law School
J.D. (1996) | Law
Marquette University Law School Logo
University of Wisconsin - Whitewater
MBA (1993) | M.B.A. in Business (Marketing)
Honors: Mu Kappa Tau
Placeholder image for education.
Marquette University
B.S. (1990) | Marketing & Finance
Marquette University Logo
Excellence in Teaching Award
Upper Iowa University
Taught Business Law class
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1024317
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Litigation, Intellectual Property and Small Firm Sections
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Marathon County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
31 Questions Answered

Q. Have Neighbor that took out line fence on property without my knowledge, now claims 20ft of my property.
A: From my standpoint, the first question to ask is how long the fence that the neighbor removed was on the property line. The second step is to have a survey completed to determine the actual property lines. If the fence was maintained for more than 20 consecutive years, you may have a claim of ownership by adverse possession if the survey disclosed a line different than the fence location.
Q. Do attorneys have to keep your files for a certain amount of time? What if they had something they never gave you?
A: Since you asked the question under the heading of real estate law, I presume that the "title" is a deed conveying an interest in a parcel of real estate. Lawyers are not required to keep files indefinitely. The best practice for lawyers is to set forth their file retention policy in their retainer agreements. You should check you retainer agreement to see what it says. If I am correct that the "title" is a deed, you should be able to get a copy of the recorded document from the Register of Deeds office in the county where the property is located for a nominal charge.
Q. Adult child dies after being raised by father and stepmother. Does the mother still have right to 50% of his estate?
A: Based upon the question, I presume that mother never gave up her parental rights. Therefore, if he had no spouse, no children and no Will, that is generally how it works under Wisconsin's intestacy statutes.
Q. My Brother and I inherited my parent's cottage in Northern Wisconsin via an irrevocable trust.
A: The trust will determine what happens once your parents passed. You should contact an attorney to help you liquidate the trust, if that is what the document requires.
Q. Can you transfer your half ownership in a house to the other half owner with a quit claim deed or a title transfer?
A: Yes, you can transfer your half ownership in the house either with a Quit Claim Deed or a Warranty Deed. There will be a transfer fee ($3.00 per $1,000 of value) to be paid, along with the recording fee.
Q. We gave our tenants a 30 day notice. Now they are refusing to pay this months rent. Can we give them a 5 day quit notice
A: Yes. If they are a month-to-month tenant, §704.17, Wis. Stats., allows you to give either a 5-day or 14-day notice for failure to rent. If they are under a lease for one year or less, §704.17(2), Wis. Stats., allows you to give them a 5-day notice to pay or vacate. No prohibition against giving the notice simply because you gave them a 30-day notice terminating their tenancy exists under §704.17, Wis. Stats.
Q. Can my previous property management company hold me to the lease of a company they bought out?
A: In order to be able to give you an informed answer, I would need to see the lease. If your lease was assignable and if your lease included a 60 day termination provision for a month-to-month tenancy, then you are probably stuck with the 60 day notice period.
Q. Is there any legal way to disown my mother and my sister?? I want nothing to do with my moms estate when she passes
A: When your mom passes, you can disclaim any inheritance.
Q. My parents died six months apart the will was revised but not signed when my mother died, why is probate required?
A: The law in Wisconsin requires a probate to be opened in a person's estate is worth more than $50,000.00. Based on your facts, your mother owned a home when she died and had assets totaling $85,000 that need to be distributed. The only way to distribute those assets (regardless if her Will was signed) is through the probate process.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
627 Jackson St
Wausau, WI 54403
Telephone: (715) 843-0800
Fax: (715) 843-0812