Sarah E. Kay

Sarah E. Kay

Sessums Black Caballero Ficarrotta - Family Law
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence
  • Florida
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Sarah E. Kay is a Board Certified Specialist in Marital and Family Law through The Florida Bar and is a Certified Family Law Mediator through The Florida Supreme Court. She has been listed as a Rising Star in family law in the Florida Super Lawyers publication 2013-2018, and she is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell.

Sarah earned her J.D. magna cum laude at Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, FL and her M.B.A. with academic honors at Stetson University in Deland, FL. During Sarah’s law studies, she received numerous honors and awards including a Leadership Certificate, the William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award, various top grade recognitions, and Who’s Who Among Students. Sarah participated in the College of Law’s Honors Program and served as an Articles & Symposia Editor of the Stetson Law Review.

Prior to law school, Sarah earned her B.S. in Middle School Education and Spanish summa cum laude at Gordon College in Wenham, MA and her M.Ed. in Secondary Education at Worcester State University in Worcester, MA. Sarah speaks fluent Spanish and taught Spanish in Massachusetts public middle and high schools prior to pursuing her legal career.

While devoting 100% of her practice to the area of Family Law, Sarah is an active member of the Florida Bar, the Hillsborough County Bar Association, and the Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers. Sarah enjoys volunteering with AFS Intercultural Programs, an exchange student organization, and has served as the AFS Florida Area Team Sending Coordinator and the AFS Tampa Bay Chapter Chair.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Sessums Black Caballero Ficarrotta
- Current
Receptionist, File Clerk, Paralegal
Sessums Black Caballero Ficarrotta
Stetson University
MBA (2010)
Honors: Graduated with Academic Honors Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society Member
Stetson University College of Law
J.D. (2010)
Honors: Graduated Magna Cum Laude Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity, Cardozo Inn Member
Activities: Law Review
Worcester State College
M.Ed. (2003) | Secondary Education
Gordon College
B.S. (1999) | Middle School Education and Spanish
Honors: Graduated Summa Cum Laude Phi Alpha Chi Honor Society Member Alpha Mu Gamma Foreign Language Honor Society Member
Chair's Award of Extraordinary Service
The Florida Bar Family Law Section
AV Preeminent Rating
Martindale Hubbell
Ten Best Florida Female Attorney
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Rising Star in Family Law
Florida Super Lawyers Magazine
Legal Elite in Family Law
Florida Trend
Best Florida Family Law Attorneys
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Current
Next Generation Divorce
- Current
Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Current
Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers
- Current
Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Current
Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Current
The Florida Bar
- Current
Articles & Publications
Tips and Tricks for Microsoft Word in Legal Document Preparation
Florida Family Law Commentator
Ten Mobile Apps to Upgrade Your Practice
Florida Family Law Commentator
Upgrading Technical Competence
Florida Family Law Commentator
Purposeful Navigation Through the Seas of Social Change: A Theory-Based Approach to Florida Alimony Reform
Florida Bar Journal
Proposed Collaborative Law Legislation in Florida
Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine
The Florida Family Law Lawyer’s User Guide to Electronic Evidence
Florida Bar Family Law Commentator
Redefining Parenthood: Removing Nostalgia from Third Party Child Custody and Visitation Decisions in Florida
Stetson Law Review
Speaking Engagements
The 7 Deadly Sins in a Family Law Case, CLE, Tampa, FL
Tampa Bay Paralegal Association
The New Family Law Rules Explained, CLE, St. Petersburg, FL
St. Petersburg Bar Association Family Law Section
Unleashing the Power of Microsoft Office and Adobe for Lawyers, CLE, Tampa, FL
National Business Institute
The Mechanics of Board Certification, Webinar, Tampa, FL
The Family Law Section of The Florida Bar
Marital & Family Law Board Certification Exam Tips & Nibbles, Certification Review Course, Orlando, FL
The Family Law Section of The Florida Bar & AAML
Board Certified in Marital and Family Law
The Florida Bar
Certified Family Law Mediator
Florida Supreme Court
Websites & Blogs
Sarah E. Kay Profile - Sessums Black Caballero Ficarrotta
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. If my daughter turns 18, but is still in highschool, but left mothers care and moved in with a boyfriend
A: The statutes which may be applicable to the scenario described would be: * Fla. Stat. s61.13(1)(a) - providing, in relevant part, that child support is to terminate on a child's birthday unless the court finds or previously found that Fla. Stat. s.743.07(2) applies, or is otherwise agreed to by the parties * Fla. Stat. s743.07 - permitting a court of competent jurisdiction to require support for a dependent person beyond the age of 18 years... if the person is dependent in fact, is between the ages of 18 and 19, and is still in high school, performing in good faith with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19. Full text of the statues available at: Depending on all the facts of the case, there may be an argument that the child is no longer dependent in fact and, therefore, even if there was an agreement or court order to extend the support past the child's 18th birthday, Section 743.07 would permit the termination of support. You should consult with a qualified Florida family law attorney to explore all available options. You should consider acting as soon as possible because modification or termination of child support generally, with limited exceptions, is applicable retroactively no further back than the petition for modification or termination.
Q. What is the process to request a change of venue regarding nonpayment of child support/contempt of court in Alabama?
A: There are several potential legal issues embedded in your question such as contempt, enforcement, and jurisdiction. You should consult with qualified family law attorney to explore all your options. You may want to consider conferring with an attorney in the jurisdiction of the court which entered the original order (for example, if an Alabama court originally entered the order, you should confer with an Alabama family law attorney) as well as the jurisdiction where the person who is supposed to be paying the child support is residing.
Q. What are my rights as a single parent and owning a home with my husband ?
A: The answer to your question will depend on several factors including, but not limited to, whether or not you and your husband will be or are getting a divorce and each of your respective financial circumstances. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney who can explain the options available based on your unique circumstances.
Q. Do i need to give alimony to my spouse? if so how much approximately and for how long. Where do i get more info on alim
A: Questions about whether or not alimony will be awarded are very fact specific. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney about your specific situation. For FAQ and answers about alimony in Florida you can read more at:
Q. Can I change my son's name, or add a second last name, myself?
A: Typically both parents must consent to a child’s name change or a court may order a child’s name change over a parent’s objection in certain circumstances if it is in the child’s best interest. If you have questions about your specific circumstances, you should speak with a qualified Florida family law attorney. There are resources available that provide details on how to seek a minor child’s name change: The Florida Courts have created the Florida Courts Help App that has forms, information, and step by step instructions for family law cases including a child’s name change. More information at: Florida Supreme Court forms (which include instructions and further information) are available at: Sometimes your local clerk will have forms packets with detailed step by step instructions available. For example, Hillsborough county clerk has these family law forms packets:
Q. getting divorced wife is buying a property and wants me to sign some papers pertaining to her mortage what should i do
A: It is never in your best interest to sign any documents you do not fully understand. You should always read documents fully and completely and ask any questions that you may have of someone qualified to answer them before you decide whether or not to sign. Florida has certain homestead laws that require a married spouse to acknowledge a mortgage even if that spouse will not have an obligation to repay that debt (i.e. the underlying promissory note for the mortgage is in the other spouse's sole name). Wording on the acknowledgment documents is key. You should take the documents your soon-to-be ex is asking you to sign to a qualified Florida family law attorney to review, explain them to you, and make recommendations specific to your case before you decide how to respond to the request.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
307 South Magnolia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33606
Telephone: (813) 251-9200