Safiya Webber Byars

Safiya Webber Byars

  • Immigration Law, Family Law, Estate Planning
  • Georgia
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Safiya Byars is an Atlanta-based attorney with a passion for helping immigrants and their families to obtaint their immigration status and lead their best life in the United States.

Faced with being the first international student at her college Safiya realized then that she wanted to learn how to maintain her international student visa and transition to permanent immigration status. Based on her personal experience Safiya realized that there was a need for legal counsel that was truly knowledgeable and compassionate in assisting immigrants with their immigration needs and other legal issues that would surface if they decided to live in the United States.

Safiya now represents individuals, couples, partners, and families as they make their immigration decisions, adoption decisions, end-of life decisions, as well as estate representatives in probate matters. Safiya received her Bachelor of Arts Degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Montevallo. Thereafter she attended the University of Alabama School of Law on scholarship where she received her Juris Doctor Degree in 2004.

Following law school Safiya was admitted into the State Bar of Georgia. She is licensed to practice in all Georgia State and Superior Courts, Supreme Court of Georgia, Federal Immigration Courts, and United States Consulate offices worldwide. Safiya is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the Georgia Association of Women Lawyers, and the Immigration Section of the State Bar of Georgia. In 2017 Safiya was recognized by the legal community as one of Georgia's Best Lawyers in Immigration Law by Georgia Trend's Legal Elite. In addition to her practice Safiya also devotes significant time to serving the legal profession and her community. Currently Safiya serves as the Vice-Chair of the Immigration Section for the State Bar of Georgia and the annual Chair of the Family Immigration Continuing Legal Education Program that is offered to Immigration Attorneys.

Practice Areas
  • Immigration Law
  • Family Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
University of Montevallo
Political Science/History
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Immigration Lawyer of the Year
Lawyer Monthly
Leadership Academy Graduate
Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
Georgia Trend Legal Elite 2017
Georgia Trend
For the past 14 years, Georgia Trend has asked the state’s attorneys to tell us who they think are the best in their field. This year’s group of Legal Elite represent nearly 300 law firms in more than 30 cities across Georgia in 14 practice areas.The publication will be released in December 2017.
Leadership Graduate
Gwinnett County Neighborhood Leadership Institute
Professional Associations
State Bar of Georgia
Vice Chair of Immigration Section
- Current
Georgia State Bar
- Current
Articles & Publications
Immigration Articles
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. I want to sponsor my husband from another country but he is already in US through visit visa.
A: Hello and thanks for your question. Generally United States citizen are able to sponsor their foreign national spouse for permanent residence, i.e "green card." Whether or not your husband will be able to attend his interview in the United States or return to his country is based on a number of factors. In addition please note that your spouse being married to you does not make him automatically eligible to obtain permanent residence. In addition to your marriage there are a number of additional requirements that your spouse must meet to ensure he is eligible to receive his permanent residence through your sponsorship. I would highly recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney at your earliest convenience. Best of luck.
Q. Uscis officer is requesting for my stepchildren's birth certificate in order to approve my citizenship.
A: Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your question it is difficult to give you a beneficial answer without asking you some questions and getting the background on your case. At the very least it appears that you will need to provide the documents to Immigration that they requested or accept the fact that your case will be denied. However, based on your difficulty in obtaining the requested documents, I would highly recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney to explore your options as soon as possible. Best of luck to you.
Q. i was brought to the us illegally by my parents when I was 3 now I’m 14.
A: Hello and thank you for your question. Please contact an immigration attorney to discuss all of your options. Best of luck to you.
Q. I'm married to a foreign born spouse, her kids from another relationship live with us.
A: Hello and thank you for your question. It is impossible for me to give you a definite "Yes" answer to this question because I will need to know a lot more information from you. Immigration sometimes allow adopted parents to obtain immigration status for adopted (foreign born children) but there are very specific requirements and regulations that must be followed. This is a complex case. I highly recommend that you contact an immigration attorney at your earliest convenience. Take care.
Q. My husband and I are filing for his green card and we need to get fingerprinted for it do I go to my local police depart
A: Hello and thank you for your question. If you are the United States citizen you do not need to get fingerprinted. Once you have filed your husband's case with Immigration he will receive his fingerprint appointment from Immigration and they will take his fingerprints. Based on your questions it sounds like it would be benefit to know the all the steps involved in his case. I recommend that you contact an immigration attorney to learn more about your husband's case and what to expect at your interview. Best of luck to you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
The Byars Firm, Inc.
333 Sandy Springs Circle, NE, Ste. 201
Atlanta, GA 30328
Telephone: (470) 819-4942
Fax: (866) 231-0432