Ryan H. JamesPittsburgh Criminal Trial and Appellate Lawyer
- Criminal Law, Appeals & Appellate, White Collar Crime ...
I'm a criminal trial and appellate lawyer. I try cases to juries and, if necessary, I take my clients’ cases up on appeal, as far as necessary, to ensure that they've received a constitutionally guaranteed fair trial and adequate due process.
Not all lawyers are both trial and appellate lawyers; the roles are different and require different skill sets. But I believe that my doing both enables me to stand out from the hundreds of criminal-defense attorneys who are all offering either one thing or the same thing. In this dual role, my trial skills not only sharpen my appellate skills, but my appellate skills help me to be a better trial lawyer by raising arguments and preserving issues that other lawyers may not think of.
Here, I don’t guarantee dismissals or acquittals in my practice, and I don’t tell clients what they want to hear to take their case. The stakes are often too high and the justice system too unpredictable to speak to things beyond my control. What I tell clients, and what I can guarantee them, is that I’ll work hard to put the government to task, I’ll be available to answer questions and ease concerns, and I’ll be prepared to litigate the case through to the conclusion. In my practice, I’m interested in providing quality legal services instead of spread-too-thin legal services, and my record demonstrates that.
I pride myself in the work I do, and every case may not be an ideal fit. But if you have a serious issue and you need a serious lawyer, call me—it’d be my privilege to stand in your corner between you and the government.
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- White Collar Crime
- DUI & DWI
- Credit Cards Accepted
- 3rd Circuit
- English: Spoken, Written
- Michigan Supreme Court
- One of three intern clerks to former Justice Diane Hathaway. Assisted career clerks in review of allocatur petitions as well as in drafting bench memos for the Justice's benefit.
- Student Attorney
- Washtenaw County Public Defender
- Handled misdemeanor and felony client matters as a student attorney.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- J.D. (2011)
- Honors: Magna cum laude, Distinguished Student Award, President's Achievement Award
- Activities: Law Review, National Moot Court
- Allegheny College
- B.A. (2007) | Political Science and Philosophy
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Activities: Phi Delta Theta Fraternity
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars List
- Super Lawyers
- Recipient from 2018-2020
- Top 40 Under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers
- Criminal Defense, Pennsylvania
- State Bar of Michigan  # P81429
- State Bar of Pennsylvania  # 313049
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- - Current
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- - Current
- James Law
- James Law-Appellate Blog
- Being handcuffed outside of a car seemingly undercuts need for protective sweep of car for weapons
June 11, 2020
- The prior acceptance of ARD and what that means for DUI mandatory sentences: What the Chichkin decision holds.
June 4, 2020
- In the time of the coronavirus, is coughing or spitting on someone simple assault?
April 16, 2020
There are no recently viewed profiles.
There are no saved profiles.
There are no profiles to compare.