Free Consultation: (770) 469-8887Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.

Robert W. Hughes Jr.

For all your probate needs throughout Georgia
  • Probate, Elder Law, Estate Planning
  • Georgia
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

I have been in practice since 1992. My practice primarily focuses on probate, guardianship and probate litigation. I have handled numerous appeals to the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court for my clients. My firm is a small firm specializing in superior service to our clients. My team consists of three lawyers, three paralegals and an office manager who all have worked with me for many years. We are technologically savvy and communicate with our clients via email where possible.

Prior to practicing law, I owned a large printing and publishing company that I sold.

Practice Areas
  • Probate
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
Additional Practice Area
  • Wrongful Death
  • Free Consultation
    We offer some free consultations depending on the matter about which you seek our help. Usually, free consultations are reserved for matters that could be handled on a contingency fee basis. This could be will challenges. It does not include estate planning. Please check with my administrative staff to see if your matter is one that qualifies for a free consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    We accept some probate litigation, wrongful death personal injury matters on a contingency basis.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I charge $360 per hour. Others in my firm charge as little as $200 per hour. We require a retainer agreement before we undertake any work.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English
  • German: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Robert W. Hughes & Associates, P.C.
- Current
Robert W. Hughes & Associates, P.C. was formed on Janaury 1, 2009 after I hired an associate to work with me. I have worked from the same location since 1992 in a variety of partnerships
Hughes & Associates, P.C.
This was a professional corporation that ended in 2009.
Hughes & Kaplan
This was a general partnership that was dissolved when Mr. Kaplan accepted a position with a larger firm.
Hughes, Kaplan & Gravante
This was a general practice law firm that dissolved when Mr. Gravante accepted other employment.
Georgia State University College of Law
J.D | Law
Florida State University College of Law
B.S (1977) | Hotel and Restaurant Administration
Honors: graduated cum laude
Darton College
A.A | Business Administration
Honors: Graduated cum laude
Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year
Atlanta Legal Aid Foundation- Gwinnett Chapter
Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year
Atlanta Legal Aid Foundation- Gwinnett Chapeter
Professional Associations
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Current
Activities: This is an association devoted to improving the legal help offered to the elderly. You can access the website at
Supreme Court of the United States
Admitted for Practice
- Current
Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Activities: GTLA is an association of lawyers dedicated to preserving citizens rights in the courts and is comprised mostly of plaintiff's lawyers.
Gwinnett County Bar Association-Probate Section
- Current
Activities: I am a member of the Probate and Estate Planning Section of the Gwinnett County Bar Association. We offer pro bono services once a quarter to persons seeking help through the Gwinnett County Probate Court.
Supreme Court of Georgia
Admited for Practice
- Current
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Admitted for Practice
- Current
American Bar Association
- Current
State Bar of Georgia
- Current
Gwinnett Pro Bono Association
pro bono efforts
- Current
Activities: I represent numerous people at the request of the Gwinnett Legal Aid Foundation. I have twice been named Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year.
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Current
Activities: I donate some of my time each year to the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation to represent those who are in need of legal help.
Gwinnett Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
How to Use a Petition For Year's Support
Robert Hughes
Speaking Engagements
Avoiding Trouble at the Intersection of Personal Injury and Probate, Clayton County Bar Assocation Meeting, Clayton County Bar GA
Clayton County Bar Association
I was honored to present to the Clayton County Bar Association my paper on Avoiding Trouble at the Intersection of Personal Injury and Probate. A copy of my paper is available upon request.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
126 Questions Answered

Q. Petition to compel full accounting was denied by Georgia probate judge because of "failure to state a claim upon which
A: Your question leaves me wondering if there is a trust or a will? To file a claim for a full accounting in probate court, the will must have been filed, admitted to probate and no less than 6 months have passed since the executor was appointed. If you are looking for an accounting for a trust issue, you must file that action int eh superior court of the county where the trustee resides.
Q. The best way to leave my daughter and not my wife my home without adding my daughter to the deed if my wife is on deed
A: Your situation is not unusual, but is certainly a sticky wicket. There are three ways to accomplish your goal. 1. Draft a will leaving a life estate to your wife with the remainder to your daughter. This creates possible accounting night mares if the will is not properly drafted. However, it will be effective for leaving the house to your daughter. 2. You can name you, your wife and your daughter as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. I assume your daughter will outlive both you and your wife. This will work, but could be undone by your wife passing her share on another person without anyone's permission. 3. You can go ahead and transfer to your daughter in fee simple now and the problem is behind you. The other thing you mention is the special needs grandchild. You need to make sure both you and your daughter have a will that addresses an inheritance by your granddaughter. As you probably know, your granddaughter cannot inherit without risking her government needs based aid she receives based upon her disability. You really need to see an estate planning specialist to help you through the issues.
Q. My dad passed away without a will and I'm The Only Living child. I am on disability and I am mentally challenged.
A: YES. This needs to be dealt with appropriately before you give away your rights to your father's land. Please contact an attorney specializing in probate work before it is too late.
Q. I lived in Louisiana but now live in Georgia - I created my will before moving several years ago. Is it valid in GA?
A: As song as the will was witnessed by two people when it was signed, the will is valid. It would be better if it also contained a Self Proving Affidavit signed by a notary and meeting Georgia's standards. It would not hurt for you to pay a lawyer for 15-20 minutes time to review your document to assure you it conforms with Georgia law.
Q. Can I sue my step father for pain and suffering, for him throwing away/selling my deceased mothers belongings?
A: You cannot sue for pain and suffering. You can sue for value of the property as well as suing him for interfering with the administration of an estate as an Executor de son Tort.
Q. My uncle passed away without signing his will.he only has one sibling living does she get his estate
A: If your uncle died with a spouse or any children-ever-, then your uncle's siblings will share in his estate. If your parent, who was your uncle's sibling, passed away, you are entitled to inherit your parent's share of your uncle's estate. The same applies to your cousin.
Q. My daddy had General libality insurance million dollar policy for his company and died of multiple myeloma cancer
A: You probably need a personal injury lawyer or a lawyer specializing in insurance law.
Q. If my children father died wrongfully and the mother of the decent filed a lawsuit, do i have to be involved in it?
A: if you die wrongfully in Georgia, the surviving spouse of the deceased person has a right to file a claim for the wrongful death. If she recovers anything. she is required to share the recovery with the deceased's children. The children will get 2/3 of the recovery and the spouse will get 1/3 of the money. You should hire a lawyer to make sure your children who are his children share in the recovery.
Q. One of four residuary beneficiaries under the Will is missing. What do we do with his share?
A: The short answer is yes. You must maintain his share for him. You have to make a diligent search for him. This is an estate expense. Once you have given up trying to locate him, his money must be kept in the estate account. People are presumed dead after 7 years of no one hearing from him. You can petition the probate court to have him declared dead. At that point, his heirs will receive the money.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
We are inside the BB&T Building on the 2nd Floor.
390 West Crogan Street
Suite 230
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
Telephone: (770) 469-8887
Fax: (678) 680-6095