I have been practicing law full time since 1977, and I have maintained a solo practice in Santa Cruz County since 1980. I have a general practice, with emphasis on personal injury cases, aviation accidents, and most other types of accidents. I also help individuals prepare estate plans, and eventually represent the heirs in probate proceedings. If you don't know how to describe your case, please call me, and I will let you know whether I can assist you, or else point you in the right direction.
- Personal Injury
- Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
- Products Liability
- Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship & Conservatorship, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
- Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
I give free one-half hour consultations in cases involving personal injury or products liability.
If I accept your personal injury case, I normally enter an agreement with you to charge only a contingent fee, meaning that you pay me a percentage of the final settlement amount and reimburse the out of pocket expenses.
Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
In some cases, in particular estate planning, I charge a flat fee. In other matters, such as probate, I am paid a fee that is set by the court. Feel free to discuss my fees when we first meet.
- Owner and attorney
- Richard E. Damon, PC
- - Current
- I opened my own law office in downtown Santa Cruz on January 2, 1980, and have been in continuous practice ever since.
- Law Clerk to the Chief Justice
- High Court of American Samoa
- I assisted the Chief Justice with legal research, brief writing, and other matters. I also edited the Samoan Pacific Law Journal reporting on current cases.
- Associate attoreny
- Lillick, McHose & Charles
- I was a first year associate at a medium size law firm in San Francisco's financial district. I worked primarily in the maritime law department.
- Stanford University
- J.D. (1977) | Law
- I was a third (final) year law student at Stanford Law School. My J.D. degree was awarded by the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary, where I studied law from 1974 to 1976.
- College of William and Mary
- J.D. (1977)
- Columbia University
- Ph.D. (1970) | Political Science
- Santa Cruz County Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- California State Bar  # 76185
- - Current
- Commercial pilot