Ravi PatelLaw Office of Ravi Patel
- Estate Planning, Probate
My name is Ravi Patel and I am trust litigation attorney based in Oakland, California. I have experience filing Heggstad Petitions throughout the state.
After I graduated from Duke University School of Law, I joined a general practice law firm in my hometown, Bakersfield, California. I worked on various transactional and litigation matters and gained a broad breadth of experience in legal areas including water law, public agency law, property taxes, local taxes, real estate law, and land use law. In 2019, my partner and I relocated to Oakland, California, where I worked for the Oakland City Attorney’s office. As a Deputy City Attorney, I helped the City of Oakland prepare tax policy and pursue tax debts.
I started this practice in 2020. I provide trust litigation services to trustees and beneficiaries looking to claim trust property, remove trustees, or amend, interpret, or enforce trust provisions.
My practice focuses in particular on filing Heggstad Petitions throughout California. Heggstad Petitions are a specialized form of trust petition that allows a trustee to claim property that was accidentally left out of trust, in lieu of going through a probate. Most commonly, Heggstad Petitions are used by successor trustees to confirm the deceased original trustee's home as a trust asset. In that case, the original trustee may have forgotten or neglected to record a deed retitling their home as a trust asset after they executed their trust. Without a court order, the house would have to go through probate, a long and expensive process. But, so long as the trust lists the home as a trust asset, a court can confirm the home as a trust asset for legal purposes. Heggstad Petitions save successor trustees considerable time and money and can be used for homes, accounts, cars, and all kinds of property.
I also have experience with various state and local tax matters, in particular, local business taxes and apportionment issues.
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Trusts, Wills, Wills
- Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
I provide free consultations for estate planning services. I offer all estate planning services on a flat rate basis. I offer limited in-person services in Downtown Oakland, and virtual services throughout the state. I provide consultations for all trust administration-related services. My practice focuses on filing Heggstad Petitions throughout California. Heggstad Petitions are a trust petition that allows a successor trustee to correct or re-title property (including houses, accounts, or other property) as assets of a trust.
- Credit Cards Accepted
I accept contingent fee cases for beneficiaries who are seeking to enforce terms of a trust. I litigate cases between siblings, cousins, or other co-beneficiaries regarding the terms of trusts or their proper administration. I file petitions to enforce trust terms, remove trustees, and clarify trust terms. In appropriate cases, my office will pay initial expenses of litigation.
- State Bar of California
- ID Number: 301258
- Law Office of Ravi Patel
- - Current
- The Law Office of Ravi Patel is a trusts and estates practice focused on heggstad petitions, trust litigation, and estate planning. We have won heggstad petitions throughout California. We have won heggstad petitions for homes, bank accounts, cars, and other types of assets. Our heggstad petitions have saved clients hundreds of thousands of dollars in estate administration fees. The Law Office of Ravi Patel provides trust litigation services to clients in Alameda County. We file cases for beneficiaries of trusts who are seeking to enforce trust terms, remove a trustee, or clarify the intention of the trust. In appropriate cases, we take cases on a contingent basis. The Law Office of Ravi Patel provides estate planning services throughout California. We provide in-person services in Downtown Oakland and virtually throughout California. We can help you prepare a living trust, will, power of attorney, guardianship, spousal property agreement, and other estate planning documents.
- Deputy City Attorney
- City of Oakland
- I served as a tax and finance deputy City Attorney for the City of Oakland.
- Duke University School of Law
- J.D. (2014) | Law
- Honors: Cum Laude
- University of California - Berkeley
- B.A. (2010) | History
- Honors: Honors
- State Bar of California  # 301258
- Law Office of Ravi Patel
- Ravi Law Blog
- How can I track down missing heirs for a Heggstad Petition?
January 12, 2023
- What happens at a Heggstad Petition hearing?
December 29, 2022
- Who gets notice of a Heggstad Petition?
December 15, 2022
- Q. Can I remove a beneficiary on my family trust if he’s involved in a lawsuit?
- A: A revocable trust can be amended at any time for any reason. Most trust also have "spendthrift" terms that clarify that a beneficiary's' "share" is not available to creditors until it is actually distributed to them. If your trust has that kind of term, you would probably be safe. But you should consult an attorney before making the amendment, the lawsuit may create a number of risks.
- Q. Are all named beneficiaries entitled to receive their own copy of the trust deed once the trustor has passed away?
- A: If you are a named beneficiary of the Trust, even just 1%, then you are entitled to a copy of the full terms of the trust terms upon request. I would suggest making a written request, ideally by e-mail or letter, and then consulting an attorney if the trustee continues to refuse.
- Q. collect a court order debt in small claim from the deceased access or estate. Court Advisor me to file correct form
- A: Your question is not entirely clear, but it seems like you may need to file a "creditors claim" if the decedent has a probate open. If not, you may have to open a probate for them. But that could be more of a hassle and expense than you really want.
There are no recently viewed profiles.
There are no saved profiles.
There are no profiles to compare.