Ramona Rae Hallam

Law Offices of Ramona R. Hallam
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Insurance Claims...
  • California
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Experienced in DUI, Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Torts, and Civil Law. Our firm does special appearances and writes briefs, motions and other documents for other attorneys. We are proud to be approaching our 12th year in business (as of 2014). Thank you to our wonderful clients and to those of you who have helped us throughout the years.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Insurance Claims
  • Personal Injury
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I accept contingency fees on some cases. On hourly cases my rates are reasonable. I accept cash, checks or PayPal.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Ramona R. Hallam
- Current
Torts, crimes
In house counsel; Collections attorney
Patenaude & Felix, APC
Collections/ credit card accounts.
Univ of San Diego
Undergraduate Degree
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Law Degree
Professional Associations
California State Bar # 220804
- Current
State Bar of California
- Current
Law and Social Justice
Legal Answers
18 Questions Answered

Q. How long can a judge keep a case pending with a motion to dismiss?
A: Usually a court will give both sides an opportunity to fully brief the issues regarding facts and law and then render a decision. The time it takes will vary from case to case. Termination in a summary procedure is a drastic remedy not favored by the courts without full briefing.
A: This question is so vague it cannot be answered well. The 1st amendment to the Constitution prohibits any law "respecting an establishment of religion", infringing on freedom of the press, impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on freedom of speech, interfering with the right to peaceably assembly, or prohibiting petitioning the courts for a governmental redress of grievances. The 11th deals with each state's sovereign immunity from being sued in federal court by someone of another state or country. This amendment was adopted in response to, and in order to overrule, the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 419 (1793). How these two fit together in your lawsuit is hard to tell. One can only guess.
Q. Does your office offer free lawyer services for disabled indivduals? Had papers served and need to file bankruptcy.
A: If we offer free for disabled individuals, why not for minorities, women, transgender people, illegal aliens, and other disadvantaged groups. Then there is the senior citizen group and the underaged group, not to mention illiterate persons, or the depressed and mentally challenged, autistic, drug addicted, criminally insane... well, the list goes on. Truly, the only class left untouched would be the non-disabled part of the white male group, if there is one, which would mean free services to everyone. Lawyers have challenges also and many cannot make a living if there are entire classes of people they provide free services to. As unfortunate as it is, there are many worthy people who need things and many who would like to give, but cannot afford to. So, my office doesn't.
Q. What is penal code 286/pc 237 dsm
A: Penal Code 286 is a sex offense defined as: (a) Sodomy is sexual conduct consisting of contact between the penis of one person and the anus of another person. Any sexual penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the crime of sodomy. The 237 crime is false imprisonment. You need an attorney if you are charged with these offenses.
A: Penal Code /s 490.5 reads: a) Upon a first conviction for petty theft involving merchandise taken from a merchant's premises or a book or other library materials taken from a library facility, a person shall be punished by a mandatory fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each such violation; and may also be punished by imprisonment in the county jail, not exceeding six months, or both such fine and imprisonment. There are other provisions where the parents can be sued if the Defendant is a minor, etc.
Q. I'm in CA. I plead "not guilty" to a traffic ticket. I changed my mind and want traffic school. What can I do?
A: Go back to court, plead guilty, and ask for traffic school. Only certain offenses qualify so make sure yours is on the list.
Q. 3 times drunk driver with in 18 months -- what is the sentence
A: The fact that you have been charged and the occurences have happened in such a short amount of time will likely alter your punishment (see below for San Diego County's sentencing guidelines). If you are convicted of this offense, the judge will want to swing hard as you are a danger to the public. He/she will likely sentence you to much more jail time, a live in rehabilitation facility, and/or a scram bracelet or interlock device. You are in real trouble and definitely need an attorney. Assuming that there was no accident and the case was not charged as a felony, IN SAN DIEGO ONLY your sentence on a third offense should be roughly: Imposition of sentence suspended for 5 years (this is probation) during which time you may violate no laws or risk revocation of probation and will be charged $100 and face having to perform the other terms that were suspended. 120 Days of custody in county jail (mandatory) $2,674 fine including $100 Substance Abuse Assessment Unit fee, plus $100 Probation Revocation and Restitution Fee (suspended unless and until you violate probation) Standard Alcohol Conditions (SAC) (VC23600) (mandatory) 1. Not drive with any measurable amount of alcohol in blood; 2. Submit to any test at the request of a peace officer for detection of alcohol and drugs; 3. Violate no laws regarding driving a motor vehicles while under the influence or in the possession of alcohol or drugs; 4. Not drive without a valid license and proof of insurance. Multiple Conviction Program- Drug/Alcohol classes (mandatory) Driving under the influence victim impact panel (MADD) DMV will revoke license for 3 Years Surrender license (mandatory IF not previously surrendered to law enforcement or DMV) 1-90D vehicle impound (mandatory IF prior conviction was w/in 5 years) Designate as habitual offender for 3 years (VC23546(b)) (mandatory) Refer to SAAU (mandatory) VC 23593 advisal (mandatory)(if you drink and drive and someone dies you can - and likely will- be charged with murder. The Court will consider Ignition Interlock Device (max term 3 years). Remember, these are the usual guidelines. You have aggravating circumstances, however, and the court and District Attorney will want you for some real time. If you are in Riverside or Los Angeles or elsewhere in the state, your penalty may be considerably tougher.
Q. I had a ricotta cheese sandwich at a restaurant that tasted "off." I didn't get sick, but could I report them?
A: Sure, you could report anyone for anything. It would probably be better to work it out with the restaurant, however. You have no injury at all except a bad taste in your mouth. If they use a product that just leaves aftertaste, they probably aren't breaking any laws/regulations. I've wanted to report my mother-in-law for the taste her food leaves in my mouth, but I don't think the authorities want to be bothered with something that isn't a violation of law.
A: There are exceptions to the statute of limitations, such as active military duty, insanity, jail time, delayed discovery, trick by the Defendant, etc.. moreover, you may have more than just a personal injury claim. Please call an attorney immediately to determine whether you are truly barred.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
PO Box 230411
Encinitas, CA 92023
Telephone: (760) 212-9249