Free Consultation: (787) 344-6059Tap to Call This Lawyer
Ramon Olivencia, Esq.

Ramon Olivencia, Esq.

Attorney-at-Law / Notary Public for Civil Matters (No Family Law)
  • Probate, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law
  • New York, Puerto Rico
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

A fully bilingual attorney with more than 15 years of experience. Focusing on inheritance law, probate and real estate. As your legal representative, I´m able to obtain any needed documents from local government agencies in a speedy and efficient manner. My prior employers include the Puerto Rico State Court of Appeals and the Department of Justice. Admitted to practice in PR, NY and DC. ALL INQUIRIES ARE ANSWERED WITHIN 24 HOURS.

Practice Areas
  • Probate
  • Estate Planning
  • Real Estate Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Notary Public
  • Free Consultation
    Free phone consultation by appointment only.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    PayPal, Western Union, ATH Movil, direct deposit, wire transfer, etc.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Puerto Rico
U.S. Supreme Court
US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
US District Court for the District of PR
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney-at-Law (Notary Public)
Private Practice
- Current
Attorney – Office of Legal Counsel
Puerto Rico Department of Justice
Drafted legal opinions for the Attorney General in response to requests from the various agencies within the Executive Branch.
Attorney – Office of Civil Litigation
Puerto Rico Department of Justice
Represented the public sector on multiple judicial and administrative civil cases at both the state and federal court levels.
Law Clerk
State Court of Appeals
University of Massachusetts - Boston
M.S. | Public Administration
University of Massachusetts - Amherst
B.A. | Political Science
University of Puerto Rico - Río Piedras
General studies.
Interamerican University of Puerto Rico School of Law
J.D. (2001) | Law
Professional Associations
Puerto Rico Bar Association # 15234
- Current
Puerto Rico Judicial Branch # 14068
Certified Attorney
- Current
Articles & Publications
Latino Politics in Massachusetts
Routledge Press
Websites & Blogs
Abogado Notario Online
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. How can I put a house for sale in P.R. after getting heir of declaration certified through court?
A: No. You need to now obtain a waiver or clearance from the PR Treasury Department by filing an Inheritance Form, also called an Estate Tax Form. Then, there needs to be the transfer of the property rights to the heirs via the Property Registry of PR.
Q. Can my brother change the deed of my mom to his name and not notify us of his doing? Do we loose everything?
A: No, he can’t.
Q. For a will, Must the parent include all the children in the will
A: In PR, children are considered to be "forced heirs". That is, for them to be "disinherited" in a will, there must be a specific valid reason under one of the causes provided by law. Make sure that this is done via a local attorney.
Q. Do all parties have to be present at a house closing in PR? Can someone stateside have documents mailed?
A: You could always have a Power of Attorney be prepared by a local attorney in PR, who will know what to include in such document. However, the POA will have to name a local representative to be present at the sale.
Q. Mom and dad are on the deed of a house my dad passed away and my mom wants to sell, what portion of the sale is hers?
A: If they were married without a pre-nuptial agreement, then her stake would normally be 50% plus what is called in Puerto Rico the "cuota viudal usufructuaria" ("surviving spouse's usufructuary portion"), which is a percentage calculated by a special formula according to several factors, including her age, life expectancy and number of children.
Q. if my dad creates a will in Puerto Rico and leaves his house to me is that the final say even though I have 2 other
A: If that is the only property he has, it cannot be done unless he specifically disinherits your 2 sisters, making sure that it is due to the reasons stated by law. In Puerto Rico, the children are what is called "forced heirs", so their inheritance could only be voided as specified by law.
Q. Need a legal aid dept. that can assist w/Declaratorio de Herederos in for senior collecting social security in PR
A: Your sister would need to write a will so that she can designate her beneficiaries according to her wishes while making sure to follow the local laws of PR. An inheritance or probate attorney can help her with that.
Q. How can my bother in PR obtain "legal ownership" of the property portion he rents out (it was my deceased parents' home?
A: If the property was located it PR, a Declaration of Heirs has to be filed at the court system so that the "forced heirs" (i.e., the children of the deceased) can be officially declared as the heirs. Also, an Estate Tax Form ("Planilla de Caudal Relicto") has to be filed at the PR Treasury Dept to make sure that there were no taxes owed by the deceased. Finally, a property transfer has to be performed at the Property Registry. Due to the complexities of all these processes, it is highly recommended that an attorney is hired to take care of all of this.
Q. My father in law perished during hurricane Maria on the island of culebra. There was No will and there is property
A: Yes you can. However, given the complexity of inheritance laws, particularly if you don´t live here or you don´t speak Spanish, it is highly recommended that you hire a lawyer, one that perhaps won´t charge you up front. In the long run, you will realize that for the amount of work, details and tasks to be done, that this was the right thing to do.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
602 Calle San Jose
San Juan, PR 00909
Cell: (787) 344-6059