Free Consultation: (855) 274-9529Tap to Call This Lawyer
Peter H. Westby

Peter H. Westby

Platt & Westby
  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Collections...
  • Arizona
Rate This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Justia Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
I rated this attorney as a 10 because I am not aware of any shortcomings in his representation.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Born in Minnesota, Attorney Peter Westby has resided in Arizona since 1962 and in Phoenix since 1974. Mr. Westby graduated from the University of Arizona College of Law in 1973 and entered the practice of law as a prosecuting attorney, first with the City of Tucson and then with the Pima County Attorney's office as a Criminal Trial Deputy. He joined partner Harvey Platt in the private practice of law in Phoenix in 1974 and together they formed Platt & Westby, P.C. Mr. Westby practices in the areas of real estate law, civil litigation, family law, estate planning, probate, estate and trust administration, and business formation/litigation. Mr. Westby and his firm have earned a Martindale-Hubble AV rating, the highest rating awarded for ethics and professional competence.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Divorce
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Accept Visa and MasterCard
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. Federal Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
James E. Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona
J.D. (1973)
University of Arizona
Arizona's Finest Lawyers
Arizona's Finest Lawyers
Professional Associations
Arizona State Bar
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Former President and Council Member
- Current
Activities: 1987 - 1993
La Casa De Cristo Lutheran Church
Websites & Blogs
Peter H. Westby's Website Profile
Platt & Westby Website
Legal Answers
125 Questions Answered

Q. I owe arrears on child support. However, when the child turns 18, does the Courts automatically cease withdrawal orders?
A: Child support withholding does not automatically terminate. You need to petition the court to terminate current child support, determine the amount of your support arrearage and obtain orders as to how this will be paid. This should be done in advance of your child's becoming 18 or graduation from high school, whichever is later. I recommend that you seek the advice of a family law lawyer before you take any action. There is always the possibility of unintended consequences when you file any petition in court and you should have the guidance of a family law attorney.
Q. Family court question.
A: You will need to file a petition with the court to obtain joint custody and joint decision making under a comprehensive parenting plan. This might be a petition for paternity. I strongly recommend seeking the advice of a family law attorney concerning this important matter. If you are to have any say concerning your daughter's education or welfare, you must have a good court ordered parenting plan.
Q. Is an out-of-state will valid in Arizona?
A: An out of state will is valid in Arizona if executed with the same formalities as required by Arizona law. In most cases this means that it will have been validly signed and properly witnessed by at least two competent witnesses.
Q. what do I do if I learned my former landlord sold my rental and the new landlord forged my name on a renewal lease?
A: The first step is to have your original lease--the one you signed--reviewed by a real estate attorney. It may automatically renew by its terms. You may have the right to terminate. Once your attorney has reviewed the lease that you agreed to, he or she will be able to let you know your legal rights.
Q. can a divorcing spouse sign a quitclaim deed to give up interest in property the other spouse is buying?
A: This can be done. A disclaimer deed would be a good choice. A quitclaim deed may work. Since wife is buying property as her sole and separate property, she should have her attorney assist with this transaction and she may want to consult her title company to see what instrument they need in order to insure title.
Q. Father dies, I am granted power of attorney. I try to sell the house and find there is a fraudulent quitclaim deed.
A: I recommend speaking with a probate attorney. It appears that you may need to open a probate for your father's estate and then, when a personal representative is appointed, the PR can address the issue of the wrongful quitclaim deed. A quiet title action may be needed. This will need to be investigated by your attorney.
Q. Real Estate AZ. I am not a licensed realtor but can I set up an LLC company and receive referrals through the LLC?
A: You can set up your business as an LLC but, if you will be performing services for others that are traditionally performed by licensed agents in Arizona, you will need to employ a licensed person and perform services under his/her license.
Q. My lease in Chandler, AZ says I have to pay a 2.5% tax, so if your rent is $1,000 per month, you will pay $25 tax
A: If your landlord is overcharging for tax you might consider a complaint to the Arizona Department of Revenue, TPT, Division. This is something that the State of Arizona may investigate and pursue.
Q. How long must we wait for property be released after completing a Small Estate Affidavit in Arizona?
A: There is no waiting period for the use of a small estate affidavit. Access can be given immediately unless the contract signed with this business provides otherwise. I would demand immediate access unless they have something in writing and signed giving them the right to delay.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Platt & Westby Old Town Scottsdale
3260 N. Hayden Road
Suite 210
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (602) 277-4441
Fax: (602) 277-0388
Platt & Westby
Avondale, AZ
12725 W Indian School Rd
Avondale, AZ 85393
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (480) 675-4775
Platt & Westby
Phoenix, AZ
2916 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (602) 277-4441 Ext. 241
Fax: (602) 277-0388
Platt & Westby
Arrowhead / Sun City/ Glendale, AZ
20325 N 51st Ave
Glendale, AZ 85308
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (480) 675-4775
Platt & Westby
Mesa/Tempe/Chandler/Gilbert, AZ
1425 W Elliot Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85233
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (480) 969-5070
Platt & Westby
North Scottsdale, AZ
6424 E. Greenway Parkway
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Toll-Free: (855) 274-9529
Telephone: (480) 675-4776