Free Consultation: (678) 353-3217Tap to Call This Lawyer
Paula J. Mcgill

Paula J. Mcgill

The McGill Law Firm, LLC
  • Landlord Tenant, Divorce, Family Law...
  • District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Paula J. McGill provides personal service to a variety of clients. She is comfortable representing individuals and small to medium sized businesses. Moreover, Attorney McGill is not afraid to go after large corporations to force them to take personal responsibility for damages they cause. Her confidence in pursuing these companies comes from her 20+ years of experience. Furthermore, she is skilled in efficiently and effectively representing clients of most budgets. Many clients return for additional services or recommend her to family and friends.

Her experience spans small claims matters, contract disputes, consumer matters, federal employment matters, civil rights cases, and wrongful death cases. Attorney McGill is comfortable in front of judges in bench trials or juries. Extensive trial experience benefits clients because opposing attorneys know she is not afraid to take cases to trial, if needed.

She also has the theory that rushing the case through often doesn't benefit clients. 9 times out of time, slow and steady wins the race.

The McGill Law Firm is based in Georgia and has numerous convenient locations to meet busy client.

Starting in May 2019, Ms. McGill will once again be accepting cases in Maryland and Washington, DC. She will also accept family law cases and hourly rate matters in New York if the client lives in Georgia.

For more information about the practice or about your particular legal issue, please use the contact information form provided on this website or contact Attorney McGill at You can also read more about the attorney and legal issues on her legal blog to obtain more information at or

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Collections
  • Employment Law
  • Business Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Probate
Additional Practice Area
  • Small Claims
  • Free Consultation
    I provide free 5 minutes initial consultations by phone or e-mail. This is a screening consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    After the 5 minute screening consultation, the potential client can schedule a paid boffice or phone consultation. Firm rates are discussed in my blog, Price sheets are also available by email to allow people to make informed decisions.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
New York
Professional Experience
Managing Member
The McGill Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Lord Bissell & Brook (Now Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell)
Wallace King Marraro & Branson
Piper & Marbury (Now DLA Piper)
University of Pennsylvania
J.D. | Law
Kennesaw State University
MBA | Finance
Emory University
B.B.A. | Finance
Legal Answers
323 Questions Answered

Q. How do I counter claim a retaliatory eviction for withholding rent due to recent flood and windows not working leaks in
A: If the landlord has filed a dispossessory, you file your answer and counterclaim at the same time. The counterclaim would include any repairs you made, the decreased value of your lease, property loss, personal injuries (if any), mental distress, inconvenience, and for wrongful eviction. The governor just signed an anti-retaliation bill into law. Check to see when the new law goes into effect.
Q. My ex doesn't want to assist me with sharing custody but wants to file for custody
A: If he files, you oppose it. If he is due for an increase in child support, you should schedule a time to discuss this matter in full with an attorney.
Q. Can a landlord increase the rent during the lease if the lease does not address rent increase at all.
A: What does your lease say about when you have to notify the tenant about nonrenewal? If it's 60 days for example, you have to let the tenant know of the increase on or before the 60 day limit. If the lease does not have a deadline for nonrenewal, you have to let the tenant know of the increase at least 60 days beforehand. The state does not have a limit on how much you can raise the rent upon renewal. However, check with the county or municipality. Either entity may impose a limit.
Q. Yes I’m 45 and have been divorced for almost 3 years. I adopted her two kids and we had one together ages 18,16,5
A: Unfortunately, child support isn't tied to whether the children follow the visitation schedule. You can file a motion for contempt against her for the middle child. However, at 16, that child has the right to voice his/her choice on visitation/custody. Normally, judges will not follow the wishes of the child who wants no contact with the parent unless there are allegations of abuse.
Q. I have a child support court date and my 15 yr old son on which the case is concerning wants to go as well. Can he?
A: Judges will normally not allow children to remain in the courtroom. However, if he is concerned his wishes may not be considered, he is of the age that he can file an affidavit regarding his choices on child custody/visitation.
Q. If me and my wife are separated but not legally and I pay for the house she lives in can she still get child support
A: In Georgia, she can file for "separate maintenance" and obtain child support before filing for a divorce. The house is a marital property issue, not a child support issue. If you wife works, you may want to require her to pay a portion of the mortgage to you based on your relative incomes. Also, regardless of the house, you have the obligation to provide support for your children for other things such as food, clothing, school supplies, etc. I recommend you go to the Georgia child support worksheet to see how much you may owe in monthly child support payments should you go to court.
Q. If a lease ended and then tenant went mth to mth with no new signed lease, Is the terms of the original lease valid?
A: Standard leases have a provision that state either if nobody terminates the lease is renewed for another term (usually 12 months) OR the lease goes month to month until either party gives notice of termination. If the second provision is in your lease, the terms of the written lease still apply.
Q. Can a landlord deduct additional money from deposit if he did an additional walk through without us after we left?
A: When did you vacate on the day you did the walk through? How long after you vacated did he do the last walk through? The landlord has to do the move out checklist and send it to you no later than three days after you moved out.
Q. is a lamlord required to provide the tenant with a notice to quite before filing for eviction witht the court?
A: Yes, a demand to vacate must be made before a dispossessory can be filed. If the landlord skips over that step, the tenant can use that as a defense in the action. Two weeks ago, I won in an action because the landlord skipped that important step.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1050 Crown Pointe Pkwy.
Suite 500
Atlanta, GA 30338
Telephone: (678) 353-3217
Cell: (770) 367-1234
5425 Peachtree Parkway
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
Telephone: (678) 906-4134
Cell: (770) 367-1234
2265 Roswell Rd.
Suite 100
Marietta, GA 30062
Telephone: (770) 509-4837
Cell: (770) 367-1234
Midtown Office
1100 Peachtree Street, NE
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Telephone: (678) 353-3217
Cell: (770) 367-1234