Orin Kurtz represents employees in class actions, individual litigation, and contract negotiations. Mr. Kurtz also counsels employers in employment law compliance.
Mr. Kurtz has worked on some of the largest class action settlements in history, and is currently representing over 210,000 employees in a nationwide class action for violation of ERISA (the law governing employee retirement plans such as 401(k) accounts).
Mr. Kurtz has obtained significant recoveries for employees including:
- $5,000,000 recovery against a multinational media company for failure to pay overtime;
- $2,000,000 aggregate recovery for nurses and nursing assistants who were denied overtime pay;
- $1,000,000 recovery for newspaper delivery drivers who were misclassified as independent contractors;
- $850,000 recovery for medical industry salespeople who were misclassified as independent contractors;
- $650,000 recovery for wait staff at the US Open tennis tournament who were denied overtime and subject to unlawful retention of gratuities.
Mr. Kurtz also represents individual employees in all aspects of employment including:
- High-level employees including doctors, dentists, executives, and insurance salespeople in contract negotiations, severance agreements, and post employment litigation for issues regarding non-compete clauses, non-solicitation agreements, discrimination and breach of contract;
- Employees of all levels in issues including failure to pay wages, failure to pay overtime, discrimination in violation of Title VII, the New York City Human Rights Law, and the New York State Human Rights Law, misclassification as an independent contractor, and failure to pay commissions.
Mr. Kurtz also counsels employers on employment law compliance, and employee relations for matters from onboarding to severance. Clients include dental practices, established and startup tech companies, plumbing companies, yoga studios, and food service providers.