Nicholas Roumel is a trial lawyer with over 30 years' experience. He has an excellent record in jury and bench trials, administrative hearings, arbitrations, and appeals. His primary areas of practice are:
Employment and Civil Rights Law - Counsel and litigation in all areas of discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower, First Amendment, due process and wrongful discharge; contract review; non-competes; and severance packages. Nick is the chair of the Washtenaw County Bar Association Labor & Employment Section.
Labor Law - As a former union local president, Nick is well suited to provide representation to unions and their members in arbitration, unfair labor practice litigation, collective bargaining, and tenure cases. He has represented numerous professional educators, providing representation and counsel to teacher unions at the K-12 and university levels.
Education Law - With his experience on the Ann Arbor School Board, and in working for University of Michigan Student Legal Services for 14 years, Nick is uniquely suited to vigorously defend the rights of students, from K-12 to higher education, in suspension, expulsion, restraint, seclusion, assault and sexual assault, and students' rights cases of all types.
Personal Injury and Civil Rights - Nick has successfully sued the perpetrators of sexual assault, other personal injuries on behalf of child and adult victims, including police misconduct and excessive force cases.
Criminal - Nick has successfully represented criminal defendants for over 20 years, including numerous high profile University of Michigan athletes, with an excellent record of obtaining favorable verdicts and dismissals. He is well prepared to assist in defending first offenders and college students, as well as with expungement petitions, employment applications, and all criminal record issues.
Other Areas - include receivership, entertainment law, contract review, fraud, qui tam.
- Employment Law
- Civil Rights
- Education Law
- Appeals & Appellate
- Criminal Law
- Labor Law
- Police Misconduct
- Title IX Investigation
- Teacher Tenure Rights
- Contract Negotiations
- Workplace Discrimination
- Whistleblower | Retaliation
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Discover
- Contingent Fees
The amount of the fee shall be one third (1/3) of the total pre-tax value of all recovery, whether through settlement or judgment. For the purposes of fee calculation, the total value of recovery includes the fair monetary value of any benefits, gifts, or concessions obtained as a result of this representation. It does not include the costs or fees associated with any claim or judgment against you.
- 6th Circuit
- English: Spoken, Written
- Mr. Roumel has won over 40 trials, including nearly 20 jury trials, with a high verdict of $550,000 (Abdullah v. UPS)
- Wayne State University Law School
- J.D. (1984) | Law
- Activities: Free Legal Aid Clinic
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- B.A. (1978) | Philosophy and Psychology
- Honors: graduated "with distinction"
- Super Lawyer
- Super Lawyers
- Michigan “Super Lawyer” in employment law (top 5% of practitioners), 2014 - 2017
- Michigan State Bar # 37056
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Washtenaw Association for Justice
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Chair, Labor & Employment Section
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Lawyers' Committee Co-Chair
- National Employment Law Association
- Asking For Facebook And Other Social Media Passwords In A Job Application
- Does An Employee Have A Retaliation Claim Based On Protected Activitiy Of A Third Party?
- How-To? Adult Expungement Kit
- How-To? Juvenile Expungement Kit
- Immigration Consequences of Criminal Proceedings
- Michigan Public School Teachers Coping With Tenure Reform
- When can Anonymous Internet Posters be Identified and Held Liable?
- NachtLaw Attorneys serving Michigan and Ohio
- Michigan and Ohio Legal News Blog
- We are regionally ranked in the U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2019 edition
28 November 2018
- NachtLaw beats the University of Michigan in federal court
20 November 2018
- 'Tis the season of voluntary buyouts and de-layering
5 November 2018
- Proving unfair evaluations and harassment are based on race
27 October 2018
- No Need to Sacrifice the Safety of a Mother or Baby in Order for a Pregnant Woman to Earn a Living
22 October 2018
- Asian Americans are victims of discrimination at Harvard and other Ivy Colleges
11 October 2018
- Women Working in Manufacturing Plants
3 October 2018
- Are you an at-will employee? Why does the distinction matter?
20 September 2018
- Where an individual's liberty is at stake
18 September 2018
Employment Law - Whether you are seeking sound legal advice and representation for employment rights or a civil rights violation, or prudent solutions for your Michigan business, our experienced lawyers are here to help.Michigan Education Law Attorneys Traverse City Troy
Education Law - At Nacht Law we take the rights of teachers, professors, and students very seriously.Michigan Criminal Defense Lawyers Ann Arbor Attorneys
Criminal Defense - At Nacht Law, we get results: dismissals, not guilty verdicts, sentencing guideline departures. When we get involved early, we get results early, sometimes shutting down the investigation before the prosecutor makes a formal charge.