Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchResponsive Law
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Violence
- DUI & DWI
- Juvenile Law
- Personal Injury
- Traffic Tickets
Additional Practice Area
- Car Accidents
- Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia
- Middle District Court of Florida
- English: Spoken, Written
- Blake & Dorsten, P.A.
- Assistant State Attorney
- Pinellas County Office of the State Attorney
- Assistant prosecutor and lead trial attorney. Tried over 60 jury trials both felony and misdemeanor. Cases ranged from DUI to domestic battery to murder.
- The University of Toledo College of Law
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Kent State University
- District of Columbia Bar
- Florida State Bar # 620440
- - Current
Websites & Blogs
- Nicholas J. Dorsten, Esq.'s Website Profile
- Blake & Dorsten Website
- Tampa Bay Criminal Defense Lawyer Blog
- Let the Pros Handle It: Florida Defense Attorney Gets State’s Attorney to Drop Multiple Charges Against His Client
6 March 2019
- No Laughing Matter: Florida Man Faces Felony Charge for Stealing a Few Dollars of Over-the-Counter Meds
6 February 2019
- A St. Petersburg Man Who Killed His Roommate Gets a New Chance to Assert His ‘Stand Your Ground’ Defense
11 January 2019
- How the Presence of Errors on Your Florida Criminal Scoresheet May Help You Get Your Sentence Overturned
13 December 2018
- When the State Can (and Cannot) Use ‘Inevitable Discovery’ to Get Evidence from a Warrantless Search Admitted in Your Florida Trial
15 November 2018
- Intellectual Impairments and Their Impact on an Accused Person’s Waiver of His ‘Miranda’ Rights in Florida
12 October 2018
- A Florida Woman’s Success in Obtaining a New Sentencing Hearing Based Upon the Prosecution’s Improper Use of Uncharged Incidents
17 September 2018
- Pinellas County Unlicensed Contracting Sting announced…
7 August 2018
- Glitter on the Cash and Police Bodycam Footage: All the Proof that Went in Two South Florida Defendants’ Successes in Court
20 July 2018
10 Questions Answered
- Q. I got a letter in the mail 30 days ago to be A Habitual offender i hired a lawyer how many days doSe it take for a respo
- A: The lawyer you hired will be in the best position to answer this question. Good luck
- Q. first time DUI in FL. Went through the hardship process, drive now. Will I lose that for 12 months. Plus medical cause
- A: Was this a first time above a .15 or below? A first time DUI consists of a 6-12 month license suspension. If you otherwise qualify, you should be eligible for a hardship license for the majority of the suspension period. Speak with your lawyer for more information. Good luck,
- Q. What happens at a Judge's Pre-Trial Hearing
- A: A pre-trial is exactly what it sounds like, a court hearing done before setting a case for trial. This allows the Judge to keep tabs on his/her docket and gives the state/defense a chance to either work out a deal for a plea, set a motion or if needed, set the case for trial.
- Q. When vice uses a confidential informant to utilize a controlled buy
- A: There is no law that I am aware of that states a CI must be on video buying/selling drugs with the suspect. It is not uncommon for the police to search the CI before and after the buy and rely on their statements. That being said, this opens up possible defenses and credibility issues with the CI. Talk with your attorney for more information. Good luck
- Q. Can I be charged with resisting without violence if I was never arrested
- A: You can be charged at a later time with resisting or obstruction.
- Q. Can I contact my felony case State Attorney and ask to drop charges, and submit documentation supporting my plea?
- A: Your lawyer on your behalf can contact the state attorney and present any mitigating evidence. You should NEVER contact the state as a defendant and the state attorney may choose not to speak to you.
- Q. If orders by the court say i may buy out community service hrs. Where can these be paid without paying on supervision
- A: While it varies, most of the time you can pay it through the court clerk or your probation officer.
- Q. What is the purpose of a hearing before the trial date ( which is set )?
- A: If a trial is already set, many times a judge will set a pretrial or such shortly before the trial date. The purpose of that may include making sure both sides are ready, all witnesses are available on the trial date and maybe even agreeing on any motions in limine.
- Q. My fiance was accused of auto theft from Indiana but was arrested in ft Lauderdale and served time in ft Lauderdale
- A: What is your question? If the charge happened in Indiana, he may be extradited from Florida back up north to face the allegations. That said, any time in custody here should count towards the Indiana case. Good luck
Contact & Map