Neil Smith

Neil Smith

Personal Injury Lawyer Serving the State of Missouri
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Missouri
Review This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
I recommend Neil smith as a competent and ethical lawyer. His willingness to help others and his knowledge of the law is unmatched.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

For two decades I've provided high quality legal representation to people going through divorce and custody cases in St. Louis, St. Charles, and all surrounding counties.

Prior to becoming a lawyer, I earned an undergraduate degree from the University of Missouri in 2000 and law degree from Loyola University New Orleans in 2003. During and after law school I worked at the Internal Revenue Service and for a law firm representing Fortune 500 companies.

But my passion is helping working class people. In 2006 I opened my own firm, The Smith Law Firm, LLC. Since that time I’ve tried hundreds of cases to conclusion, won summary judgments, international arbitration awards, and countless satisfactory settlements for my clients. I’ve provided legal analysis to news sources and donated my time many charitable organizations.

Clients love that they can call me directly. I give clients my personal cell phone number, which they can call or text anytime. And prospective clients can reach out directly to me instead of a bot answering service.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    If we recover, we keep a percentage of the recovery. You pay absolutely nothing until and unless we win your case.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
The Missouri Bar
ID Number: 56789
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
The Smith Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Based in Clayton, Missouri, we represent individuals throughout Missouri in personal injury matters. This includes, for example, car accidents, truck accidents, wrongful death, insurance disputes, dog bits, brain and burn injuries, toxic torts.
Associate Attorney
Kramer & Frank, P.C.
We represented many of the largest U.S. financial institutions in consumer and commercial collection matters. We represented these companies in every county in three states: Missouri, Illinois, and Kansas.
Internal Revenue Service, Office of Chief Counsel
Legal clerkship during law school We researched and investigated matters involving small businesses and sole proprietorships. We provided support to other divisions within the I.R.S.
Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
J.D. (2003)
Placeholder image for education.
University of Missouri - Columbia
B.A. (1996) | Political Science, History, Philosophy
Honors: Honor's College
Activities: Director of Publicity and Promotions for Student Government
University of Missouri - Columbia Logo
Academic Excellence
Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in Tax Procedure
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar  # 56789
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
How is Child Support Calculated in Missouri
Speaking Engagements
Careers in the Legal Profession, Careers and Professions, Springfield, Missouri
Hillcrest High School
The Missouri Bar
Websites & Blogs
The Smith Law Firm, LLC
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered
Q. If I have received a summons to appear in court due to child support, if I pay off the amount do I still need to go?
A: Good question. Is this a situation where the prosecuting attorney filed either a civil contempt action or criminal contempt case? If so, the answer is yes. You still need to appear until you have an order dismissing the case. In the context of a criminal non-support case a prosecutor may still prove that you are guilty of a crime even though no support is due. (Imagine a situation where someone steals a Playstation from Walmart, is charged with stealing, and then returns the Playstation before the first court appearance.) From a practical standpoint some prosecutors will dismiss your case before court, but it's not a guarantee.
Q. 17 y/o going to college. Her father is paying 0 support. He is not on birth certificate. What should I do?
A: It depends on whether you want to get him to pay for college and possibly pay for support. Would it cause trauma for your daughter? Does this guy work or have any income? Are you fairly certain your daughter isn't going to drop out within the first semester? Do you make a ton of income and want to avoid contributing to her college? Usually in a situation like this there's a reason why you haven't filed a paternity case yet, or tried to get child support. But getting him to do this is definitely feasible.
Q. 7 yr old son with my ex husband. How do I respond to a falsely accused interference with custody? My ex will not convers
A: When you say "custody interference" are you referencing a family access motion? Or a motion to modify and/or motion for contempt? The way in which you respond depends on what he filed. If he is physically and emotionally abusive to the children, then you should think about filing a motion to modify to limit his custody.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Smith Law Firm, LLC
231 South Bemiston Avenue
Suite 800
Clayton, MO 63105
Telephone: (314) 725-4400
Cell: (314) 974-3266
Monday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Tuesday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Wednesday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Thursday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Friday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Saturday: 7 AM - 9 PM (Today)
Sunday: 7 AM - 9 PM
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.