Free Consultation: (423) 424-6208Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

Jones & Associates, PLLC, Attorneys at Law
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, Insurance Defense...
  • Tennessee
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have over 16 years in insurance defense, worker's compensation, employment law and litigation. I have argued appeals to the Tennessee Supreme Court and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. After serving as a Senior Partner with a large, multi-state defense firm, I started Jones & Associates, PLLC over 2 years ago. We have branched into retaliatory discharge, pharmaceutical products liability, automobile accidents and premises liability. The firm is currently focused on DIVORCE and CRIMINAL DEFENSE.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Insurance Defense
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Employment Law
  • Free Consultation
    For billable cases, the first consultation is free.
  • Contingent Fees
    For workers' compensation plaintiff's cases, the fee is 20% of the total indemnity award. For other liability cases, it is 33 1/3 % or 40% if it goes to appeal.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I graduated from the George Washington University National Law School, where I was a Member of the Moot Court Board.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding and Managing Member
Jones & Associates
- Current
Associate, Member, Senior Member
Allen, Kopet & Associates, PLLC
In-house Counsel and Corporate Trainer
Harrison Direct, Inc.
International Trade Law Clerk
Graham & James
Conducted research and drafted memoranda on international trade law.
The George Washington University Law School
J.D. (1991) | Law and International Law
Honors: Member, Moot Court Board
Activities: President of the International Law Society
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
B.A. | English and Honors Political Science
Honors: B.A. with Honors
AM Best Top Rated Insurance Attorneys
Based on client feedback.
Moot Court Board Member
George Washington University Law School
First place oralist, second place overall, Jessup Moot Court Comp.
George Washington University Law School
Professional Associations
Cleveland, Tennessee Bar Association # 20158
- Current
Activities: Attend regular informational meetings.
UTK Alumni Association
- Current
George Washington University Alumni Association
- Current
St. Peter's Episcopal School Board
Member at Large
Speaking Engagements
Handling the Workers' Compensation Case From Start to Finish, NBI / National Business Institute, Chattanooga, Tennessee
I spoke on both Medical Issues During the Claim and Recovery from Third Parties
Licensed to Practice Law in Tennessee
Tennessee Supreme Court
Admitted to Practice Before the United States Dist. Ct. for the Eastern Dist. of Tenn.
United States District Court
Admitted to Practice Before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Websites & Blogs
Jones & Associates, PC website.
Legal Answers
85 Questions Answered

Q. If someone dies that is on state probation, do I contact someone in the judicial or correction system and let them know?
A: If you have the probation officer's number, you can call them. You can also call the court clerk and let them know.
Q. I am out on pretrial release for a first offense misdemeanor. Imissed my appointment and have court tomorrow.
A: It depends on the judge, but you need to make sure and make your court appointment or there will definitely be a warrant out for you.
Q. In Tennessee if someone is supposed to go to jail for 45 days is there any provisions available for that person if
A: Yes, typically when a client is put in jail, or before they are put in jail, if planned, then you will meet with the nurse and discuss your medical conditions. You can also give them access to your list of prescriptions from your pharmacy. The jail treats different conditions in an order of priority. For example, if you are diabetic and need insulin, you will probably be at the top of the list. If you are in jail, it usuall takes 3 to 4 days for you to start receiving medications. If you are planning it, then you need to make everything clear up front. The jail usually will only give you essential medications. You can get meds for addiction withdrawal, heart conditions and diabetes; however, they will probably not give you meds for anxiety or sleeping. Usually, you can get blood pressure meds, and you have a right to have it tested. If you planned the trip, then you may get into their computer system faster. If you did not, then you may have to ask time and time again until some officer allows you to see the nurse and get into their computer system. Once you are in their computer system, things are disbursed on a more timely schedule.
Q. What is the punishment for a criminal threat?
A: Thanks for the question; however, it is not clear and specific enough to answer. Generally speaking, if you are referring to threatening someone with a criminal charge to achieve a monetary gain, then that is extortion. If you are referring to threatening someone with bodily harm, then it is assault. Simple assault can be a Class A or B misdemeanor. A person commits aggravated assault who: (A) Intentionally or knowingly commits an assault as defined above, and the assault: (i) Results in serious bodily injury to another; (ii) Results in the death of another; (iii) Involved the use or display of a deadly weapon; or (iv) Involved strangulation or attempted strangulation; or (B) Recklessly commits an assault as defined above, and the assault: (i) Results in serious bodily injury to another; (ii) Results in the death of another; or (iii) Involved the use or display of a deadly weapon. Additionally, a person commits aggravated assault who, being the parent or custodian of a child or the custodian of an adult, intentionally or knowingly fails or refuses to protect the child or adult from an aggravated assault as defined above or aggravated child abuse. A person also commits aggravated assault who, after having been enjoined or restrained by an order, diversion or probation agreement of a court of competent jurisdiction from in any way causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or in any way committing or attempting to commit an assault against an individual or individuals, intentionally or knowingly attempts to cause or causes bodily injury or commits or attempts to commit an assault against the individual or individuals. Aggravated assault can be a Class C or Class D felony. A person commits extortion who uses coercion upon another person with the intent to: (1) Obtain property, services, any advantage or immunity; (2) Restrict unlawfully another's freedom of action; or (3) Impair any entity, from the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured by the Constitution of Tennessee, the United States Constitution or the laws of the state, in an effort to obtain something of value for any entitity. Extortion is a Class D felony. There are many other categories that could fit within your question. The sentencing for Class A or B misdemeanors and Class C or D felonies varies considerably. I would suggest that you consult with a local criminal defense attorney.
Q. A woman has called me and has threatened to harm me. I want her to leave me alone. She called me from her work phone.
A: You should be able to press charges. Call the local sheriff's office and speak with a detective about what information they need.
Q. Could I get rehab and how?
A: You should immediately consult with local legal criminal defense counsel. Your probation officer will probably make a recommendation, and the court will make the decision. On these facts, I don't think you will get rehab only, but your best bet is to consult with someone locally and discuss the facts with them. The courts do not look highly on VOP.
Q. I have 4small kids 8yr 5 3 and 2. I am need help I really do I have a problem
A: You should retract your question. Never publish personal criminal issues.
Q. Who do I pay the money to to get my car back. I’m trying to see what I have to do. I’m lost! My car got seized
A: I've had clients go through the process, and sometimes it is far more difficult than you would realize. One client parked his car at the pool at his neighborhood on a Friday night at 7:00 pm. knowing that there would be a ton of cars there the next day. If I remember, he was low on gas. The police contract with a tow yard to tow and keep the car. They will not release the car until the police give authorization. Over a period of 3 weeks, he called every department that he knew about and even had the police come to his house. He also called the City Attorney's office. No authorization was given, and the tow yard ran the bill up on a daily basis. Finally, he called the Chief of Police, and the matter was resolved; however the tow storage bill was $600. The police would do nothing about it, because they considered it a relationship between him and the tow yard. He ended up paying the $600. He had not hired me and only talked to me after the fact. So, the answer is two-part. Call the Chief of Police or retain an attorney. I would recommend the latter.
Q. can a person with no priors, not an addict, be forced into impatient rehab based on an officer judging her looks?
A: If the charge for misdemeanor possession sticks, then a judge could easily order that she report to a rehab facility. The decision would be made on the charge and conviction and not necessarily on her looks. If she has no priors, then it would be in her best interests to obtain a criminal defense attorney to try to get her pre-trial diversion. If she cannot afford an attorney, a public defender or other attorney can be appointed to represent her.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Cleveland Tennessee Lawyer
140 North Ocoee Street, Suite 290
Cleveland, TN 37311
Toll-Free: (423) 424-6208
Telephone: (423) 424-6208