Free Consultation: (504) 434-0462Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. James Zitzmann

Mr. James Zitzmann

Zitzmann Law, LLC
  • Probate, Family Law, Divorce...
  • Louisiana
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

James is the managing member and managing attorney of Zitzmann Law, LLC and founded the firm in 2014.

He attended Louisiana State University for his undergraduate degree. While at Louisiana State, James was involved in Louisiana State University Student Government and was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. He graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

He attended the Loyola University New Orleans College of Law where he was a member of the Loyola Law and Technology Annual. While attending, he received the Loyola Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship and the Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in Trademark, Tradename and Unfair Competition. Additionally, he studied overseas coursework as part of international programs at the University of Vienna School of Law and the Rio de Janeiro University Faculty of Law as well as participated in a European Union field study. James graduated in 2013 with a Juris Doctor and a Certificate in International Legal Studies.

Practice Areas
  • Probate
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Juvenile Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Trademarks
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations by phone. $50 in-office consultations.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    3% fee added.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
Zitzmann Law, LLC
- Current
Operate private practice focusing on family law and successions.
Loyola University New Orleans
J.D. (2013) | Civil Law
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
B.A. (2010) | Political Science
Professional Associations
Louisiana State Bar Association # 35595
- Current
Notary Public # 138067
- Current
Articles & Publications
An Old Rule for a New Era: Applying the First Sale Doctrine Equitably to Software Transfers
Intellectual Property Society of Australia & New Zealand
Websites & Blogs
Zitzmann Law, LLC
Legal Answers
32 Questions Answered

A: It depends on the circumstances. Who has legal custody of the child right now? If you have reason to believe either of the parents having custody is a danger, you could always file a petition yourself. Grandparents also may have a limited right to just visitation under certain circumstances; this mainly occurs with the death or incarceration of one of the parents, but there are also a few other very narrow exceptions.
Q. My husband and I divorced. I got domiciliary custody. He doesn't see her or call her .How do i get full custody?He has
A: If he hasn't paid child support or exercised visitation in 5 years, you can move to terminate his parental rights. You'll very likely want an attorney to assist with this, though.
Q. How to get kids from noncustodial parent left state on first visit.I am domicile parent with return order from Louisiana
A: You would likely have to speak to an attorney licensed in Florida to determine that. Here in louisiana there is a procedure for enforcing foreign judgments, and I am sure Florida has a comparable procedure.
Q. I got my son from his mother and he has bruises from his stepfather hitting him. Can I legally refuse to return him
A: You would have to file a petition for ex parte emergency custody. You'll need to talk to an attorney to get it done. The petition would be filed and walked through to the judge the same day, and if it is approved, you'll have a custody order the same day so you don't have to return the child, pending a hearing.
Q. Is there a law in Louisiana that someone has to date 6 months and meet the child’s father before he can meet my children
A: There is no law, but it might be in a consent judgment or other judgment regarding child custody.
Q. If I'm paying child support, do I have visitation rights under the child support court or do I have to get an attorney
A: No, nonsupport court does not have jurisdiction to decide child custody. You'll have to file your own pleadings.
Q. Can the decision from a HOC be made if both parties are not present.
A: If service of the petition was made, then yes.
Q. If the father lives in New York while I live in Louisiana, does he have to pay child support?
A: You'll have to get a motion filed in nonsupport court, but yes, you can cause him to pay.
Q. What are the laws on moving out at 17?
A: Well, someone has custody of you until you are 18. This means there is a possibility you could be returned. To get around this you'd need to petition a court for emancipation.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1106 West 19th Avenue
1106 West 19th Avenue
Covington, LA 70433
Telephone: (504) 434-0462
Fax: (504) 335-0644