Free Consultation: (877) 597-9358Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. J. Thomas Black

Mr. J. Thomas Black

Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
  • Bankruptcy
  • Texas
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

J. Thomas Black graduated from South Texas College of Law in Houston in 1982, and started his own firm in 1986. Mr. Black has always specialized in consumer and small business bankruptcy law, tax collection defense, debt negotiation and related matters.

Mr. Black's firm currently consists of Mr. Black, two associate attorneys, two full time paralegals, and other support staff. Mr. Black was Board Certified in Consumer Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1989, and he was re-certified in 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009, and 2014. Mr. Black served as President of the Houston Association of Debtor Attorneys from 1999 until 2002.

Mr. Black is licensed to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Tax Court. He is a Fellow of the College of the State Bar of Texas, and a member of the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas.

Mr. Black is a Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation. Mr. Black is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, the National Association of Consumer Advocates, and he currently serves as Secretary-Treasurer of the Houston Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

Practice Area
  • Bankruptcy
  • Free Consultation
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Most Bankruptcy Matters Handled on Fixed Fee Basis; Hourly Fees and/or Contingent Fees Typically Charged On Other Matters
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
5th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken
Professional Experience
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
- Current
Consumer bankruptcy law practice. Mr. Black also represents consumers in adversary proceedings and civil actions against banks, mortgage servicers, and debt collectors in U.S. Bankruptcy Court and U.S. District Court for violations of bankruptcy automatic stay and discharge violations, and violations of state and federal consumer protection laws.
South Texas College of Law
J.D. | Law
Indiana University - Indiana University-Bloomington
B.A. | History
Pro Bono Award
State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section
Super Lawyer
Texas Super Lawyers
Outstanding Individual Contribution
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
Pro Bono Service Award
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, So. District of Texas
Board Certified- Consumer Bankruptcy Law
Texas Board Of Legal Specialization
Professional Associations
Houston Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Secretary Treasurer
- Current
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
The Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
Houston Volunteer Lawyer's Program
Reasons for Debtors To File Chapter 13 vs. Chapter 7
Houston Bar Association
Pro Bono LegalLine Volunteer
State Bar of Texas
Currently licensed as Texas Attorney
Military Heros Radio Show
Veterans and Bankruptcy
HVLP Monthly CLE Seminar
The Nuts & Bolts of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
2nd Annual Bankruptcy Paralegal Seminar
The Intersection of Bankruptcy and the IRS
HVLP Monthly CLE Seminar
ABC's of Bankruptcy
Accounting Firm Lunch and Learn
Discharging IRS Taxes Through Bankruptcy
AIDS Unit Volunteer Attorney Seminar
NACBA 11th Annual Convention
Attorney Fees In Chapter 13
Speaking Engagements
Veterans and Bankruptcy, Military Heroes Radio Show, Houston TX
KKHT 100.7 FM
Tips for Chapter 13 Success, Consumer Bankruptcy Seminar, Galveston TX
University of Texas
Reasons to File Chapter 13 vs. Chapter 7, Consumer Pro Bono Under the Bankruptcy Code, Houston, TX
Houston Volunteer Lawyer Program
Preparing Bankruptcy Schedules to Keep Your Client Out of Jail, NACBA 22nd Annual Convention, New York City, NY
National Assoc. of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Board Certified- Consumer Bankruptcy
Texas Board Of Legal Specialization
Don't Let Student Loan Debt Crush Your Dreams- You Have Options- Call our Houston office

We have many people from all over the Houston, Texas and surrounding areas come to our law office with student loan debt that is out of control. Student loan debt is crushing the dreams of many Americans. There are several repayment options with federal student loans including deferment and forebearance, rehabilitation and income-based or income-contingent repayment plans. You may not be aware that there are also public service and teacher forgiveness programs, and ways to discharge your federal student loans if you are disabled, and certain other reasons. Student loans are not generally dischargeable in bankruptcy, unless you can show "undue hardship." But it is possible to file chapter 13 bankruptcy, and stop the collection activities of the student loans lenders or debt collectors, for 3-5 years. For some people, this gives them the "breathing spell" that they need to get rid of their other debts, and then be ready to deal with the student loans when the plan is completed. Private student loans can be especially problematic, because they do not have all of the repayment options that federal loans have. If you have private student loans that are in default, or you will be defaulting soon, you may have an especial need for an attorney as they often file lawsuits to try to collect their debts. We represent people in such lawsuits, and we would be happy to review all of your options with you concerning your student loans at one of our offices. If you live in the Houston, Texas metropolitan area or surrounding counties, just call our main telephone number at 713-772-8037 or visit our website at

IRS Taking Your Paycheck or Bank Account? File Bankruptcy & Stop It & Possibly Cancel It

If you have I.R.S. problems and owe the I.R.S. a lot of money, filing bankruptcy may be an option for you to consider. As soon as a bankruptcy is filed, an "automatic stay" or federal court order goes into effect, that tells your creditors including the I.R.S. that they cannot continue to collect their debts, at least for the time being. If you owe income taxes that qualify, you may be able to discharge or cancel them completely in chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you owe income taxes or payroll taxes, you may be able to reorganize and pay them out over time, as long as 60 months, through a chapter 13 plan. If you come in to see us, we will also review your "non-bankruptcy" IRS options with you, including installment agreement, innocent spouse, and offer in compromise. Some people even qualify for "currently not collectible" status, where the IRS just "puts your file on a shelf" so to speak, possibly so long that the statute of limitations runs and the tax is no longer legally owed. Don't wait. People with problems with the Internal Revenue Service often procrastinate or put off dealing with it. Come in and see us; we don't bite. And more than likely, we will be able to give you a plan and show you the way to solve your IRS problems. It's up to you take the first step. Call us at 713-772-8037. If you live in the Houston, Texas area or Katy, Spring, Cypress, Sugar Land, Stafford, or Pearland, or the surrounding counties including Fort Bend, Montgomery County, Galveston, Brazoria, and Austin Counties, call our office today at 713-772-8037 and tell us that you need an appointment. There is no charge for your first consultation with one of our attorneys. Visit for more information. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file bankruptcy.

Served with a credit card lawsuit in Houston? Filing Bankruptcy May Get Rid of It for Good

If you've been "served" with a lawsuit for debt, come see us right away to discuss your options. If filing bankruptcy is your choice, as soon as either chapter 7 or chapter 13 is filed, an "automatic stay" or federal court injunction goes into effect as soon as a bankruptcy is filed, preventing the lawsuit from going forward, at least without permission from the Bankruptcy Court. Don't wait, if you have been served with a lawsuit. Go see an attorney right away. If you delay, a "default judgment" may be entered against you. With a judgment, a creditor can seize your bank accounts and other non-exempt property. If you have other options, we will discuss them with you when you come in. Some people have valid defenses to lawsuits, so it may be worthwhile to fight them. Others want to and are able to settle with the plaintiffs. But if you don't have any other choice, bankruptcy may be the best option; it just depends on your circumstances. Even if you already have a judgment against you, it can likely still be stayed and the debt discharged in bankruptcy. If you live in the Houston, Texas area or the surrounding counties including Fort Bend, Montgomery County, Galveston, Brazoria, and Austin Counties, call our office today at 713-772-8037 and tell us that you need an appointment. There is no charge for your first consultation with one of our attorneys. Visit for more information.

Is your car or truck up for repossession in Houston? Chapter 13 may allow you to stop it!

If your car or truck is about to be repossessed in Houston, Texas or surrounding counties by the finance company or by a title loan lender, it is not too late to stop it. If you qualify, filing chapter 13 bankruptcy causes an "automatic stay" to go into effect, which immediately stops all pending repossessions, foreclosures, and other collection actions against you and your property. Then we set up an affordable plan that combines all of your bills into one monthly payment (which is usually payroll-deducted). Even if your vehicle has already been repossessed, it is possible to have it returned, so long as it has not been sold. If you live in the Houston, Texas area or the surrounding counties, call our office today at 713-772-8037 and tell us that you need an urgent appointment. There is no charge for your first consultation with one of our attorneys. Visit for more information. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file bankruptcy.

My Houston Texas home Is posted for foreclosure! Can I stop foreclosure by filing bankruptcy?

If your home is up for foreclosure by your mortgage company, your home equity lender, or if you are about to be foreclosed on for property taxes or homeowner association dues, don't delay. Filing chapter 13 bankruptcy in Houston Texas can help you stop the foreclosure, and catch up the delinquent payments, taxes, or HOA dues over up to a 5 year period of time, if you qualify. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file bankruptcy. Visit our website at to make an appointment and for free publications.

Can Payday Loans Be Discharged If I File Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?

Payday loans are a big problem for many of our clients. Many people come into our Houston law office and have payday loans. For some, it is just out of control. If you cannot pay your payday loans, it is possible to discharge or cancel the loans in a bankruptcy case. For more information, visit our website at We are a debt relief agency and we help people file bankruptcy.

Can My Wages be garnished in Texas if I have a lawsuit or judgment against me?

Generally speaking, if you live in Texas, your wages cannot be garnished for credit card or most other unsecured debts, with certain exceptions. This video will give you a general understanding of that. But if you are in debt trouble, you should come see us in our Houston law office and discuss your alternatives. Once the money goes in the bank however, it is not safe and can be garnished. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file bankruptcy. Visit our website at

Welcome to our Houston Texas Bankruptcy Law Office!

Welcome to our Houston Texas Bankruptcy Law Office

Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered

Q. I was recently dismissed from BK but I had 2 cars in my plan so what happens now? Will they notify me or just repo?
A: They will likely repo them, and they may do so quickly and without giving you any notice. So if I were you I would remove any personal items of yours from the vehicles. If you want to try to work something out with them, call them immediately. Or it is possible to file a new chapter 13 case. Or you may want to consider filing chapter 7. In chapter 7 it is possible to redeem vehicles by paying them the value of the vehicles instead of what you owe.
Q. Is there a procedure to stop irs from issuing levy to take property and garnish wages?
A: Yes, there are several ways to stop the IRS from issuing a levy. You can request a Collection Due Process hearing, and then propose a collection alternative such as an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise. If you qualify, you may be able to have the account put in Currently Not Collectible status. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to discharge the taxes in chapter 7 bankruptcy, or pay them over a period of time using a chapter 11 or 13 bankruptcy. Filing bankruptcy also stops the IRS from issuing a levy or continuing with collection activity, at least temporarily. I recommend you consult with an experienced tax resolution attorney, or a CPA or Enrolled Agent that is experienced in tax resolution matters.
Q. Do you have to go to trial if you file bankruptcy?
A: In most consumer bankruptcies, you may not even see a bankruptcy judge, at least in our district. You meet the trustee, or one of their attorneys, at the Meeting of Creditors in chapter 7 and 13 cases. In chapter 7 cases, at least here in the Southern District of Texas, it would be very unusual for you to have a hearing or a court appearance in front of the judge, unless there is some sort of contested matter or unusual circumstance. In chapter 13, it's possible you would have to appear at a hearing on confirmation of your plan, or to value collateral. But many people go all the way through chapter 13 cases and have never had to actually appear in court, much less attend a trial.
Q. can i file bankruptcy without putting my cars or house just credit cards on it?
A: You must list all of your creditors in your bankruptcy. If you want to keep your cars and house, you can continue to pay them and if you wish, enter into a reaffirmation agreement with them (if chapter 7 bankruptcy). Then it is as though you did not file bankruptcy on them; your personal liability on the reaffirmed debts is revived.
Q. I wanted to know if i can file ch 7 a 4th time in TX?
A: Under current law you can file chapter 7 bankruptcy every 8 years. I don't know why you would not be able to file a 4th time, so long as you did not incur the debt intentionally with the intent to file bankruptcy.
Q. What are way to improve your credit after filing a chapture 7 bankruptcy? What are some do's and dont's after filing?
A: After a bankruptcy discharge, review your free credit reports from and dispute any that are not reporting correctly. If they were discharged they should show "discharged in bankruptcy" and show a zero balance due. Review your credit reports at least annually for errors. Then you must use some credit to rebuild good credit. Apply for one to three credit cards, and use them very sparingly, always keeping the balance to less than 30% of your credit limit, and paying them off each month. This shows lenders that you can handle credit responsibly. Do not default or become delinquent on any new debt created after a bankruptcy, or your credit score will likely suffer for a long time.
Q. I have a charge against me w/ Dept of Public Safety. I was in a minor accident w/o ins. for $40,000. Can it Discharge?
A: Yes, so long as you were not DWI at the time of the accident, the damages from the auto accident should be dischargeable in bankruptcy. In that case, you would be eligible to apply to have your drivers license reinstated, but you must maintain liability insurance in the future.
Q. Under chapter 7 Bankruptcy can I keep my homeand car also will IRS INCOME TAX DEBT be discharged state is TX
A: So long as you can continue to pay on your home and car, yes generally speaking you can keep those. IRS tax debt can be discharged but it must meet certain requirements. Again, generally speaking if it is over 3 years old measured from the due date of the tax return, you filed the tax returns more than 2 years before the bankruptcy is filed, and the taxes cannot have been assessed within 240 days of the bankruptcy filing date. Also, you must have filed your tax returns before the IRS filed a return for you. There are other requirements but those are the main ones for IRS income taxes to be discharged in bankruptcy.
Q. I have some assets left but need to file for bankruptcy. Can I gift them to my kids to "hide" them so they aren't taken?
A: Of course you can, but if it is discovered the bankruptcy trustee will likely sue your children to recover the assets. Then the trustee can object to you receiving a discharge of all of your debts. Then if a criminal referral is made, you could find yourself going to federal prison for bankruptcy fraud, and perjury if you did not disclose it. In short, it is just not worth it to try to hide assets from a bankruptcy trustee.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
2600 S Gessner Rd
Suite 110
Houston, TX 77063
Telephone: (713) 772-8037
1322 Space Park Drive
Houston, TX 77058
Toll-Free: (877) 597-9358
Telephone: (713) 772-8037