Mike Branum

Mike Branum

Gallian Welker & Beckstrom
  • Personal Injury, Criminal Law, Family Law
  • Arizona, Utah
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

After spending most of my adult life running into burning buildings or keeping people alive in the back of ambulances, I went to law school. I have lived and worked in North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, Alaska, Nevada, and now I have settled into the beautiful red rock surroundings of southwest Utah - Utah's "Dixie."

With over fifteen years of nursing experience on top of my career in emergency medicine, I have the background to understand the medical aspects of personal injury cases and to assist veterans in making compelling cases for the grant of benefits they deserve.

As an Arizona-licensed attorney, I have a general law practice in the North Canyon Justice Court in Colorado City. I will assist or refer clients with any matter heard before the Justice Court including criminal and traffic cases, family law, and other civil matters.

I have spent my life standing between those I serve and danger; I merely traded firefighting gear for a suit and moved the battle from the streets to the courtroom.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Criminal Law
  • Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
Gallian Welker & Beckstrom
- Current
UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
J.D. (2018)
Honors: Pro Bono Honors
Professional Associations
Utah State Bar
- Current
Southern Utah Bar Association
- Current
State Bar of Arizona
- Current
Clark County Bar Association
- Current
American Inns of Court
- Current
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. My situation concerns a religious organization who has made it clear that they would like me to be dead before 2020.
A: Your issue does not appear to be something that could be worked out in a court of law and I do not believe a court order would sway the members you refer to from carrying out the execution order once it is issued. I would recommend you contact the Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem in Chandler and see if they can offer you protection. The SMOTJ is a modern organization descended from the Knights Templar. The Order is committed to supporting the unjustly accused and standing against oppression, so they may be very sympathetic to the situation you find yourself in. Alternatively, you may want to speak with a psychiatrist should it be ultimately determined that a secretive and potentially evil religious sect that is seeking the extinguishment of your corporeal body only actually exists in your mind. Hopefully one of these recommendations is helpful. Good luck in your quest for justice.
Q. Can I record mine and my step-child's in person conversations?
A: Utah law only requires one party to the conversation be aware a recording is being made, so, yes, you may legally record the conversations with or without his knowledge. As far as helping your case, requesting the appointment of a guardian ad litem would probably be more advantageous than your recordings. A guardian ad litem is a non-attorney volunteer who will be the child's neutral advocate during court proceedings. It is helpful to have an outside party privately speak with the child and report their findings to the judge. If you truly believe the child is the victim of abuse and/or neglect, you should file a petition for a child protective order. See https://www.utcourts.gov/abuse/child.html for the forms you need or seek the assistance of a licensed Utah attorney practicing in Cache County.
Q. Joint custody and child abused in other home... do we have to take her back there?
A: You would need to file a petition in Juvenile Court. See https://www.utcourts.gov/abuse/child.html for the form or seek advice from a licensed attorney who practices in the Fifth District (Washington and Iron Counties).
Q. Hi my name is Breann Alexander my phone # is 385-404-2068 and my email is Breannalexander801@gmail.com
A: According to Utah Administrative Code you should have received a copy of the Utah Consumer Bill of Rights Regarding Towing as soon as you were contacted by the towing company. If you did not, you can file a complaint with UDOT on their website (www.udot.utah.gov). You may have a claim for damages against the property manager if they requested the tow and you can demonstrate that they failed to provide notice of the parking regulations which would subject you to towing. Remember, you CAN sue for just about anything; whether you SHOULD is an entirely different matter. You should determine what the incident has cost you, what you could potentially recover, and how much it could cost you in time, energy, and attorney's fees to pursue the matter. Filing a complaint with UDOT will likely not cost you much if the towing company violated the administrative code. I did not see in your post that you contacted your local law enforcement agency. If the property manager's employee who requested the tow did not have any actual authority to order your vehicle towed, there may be potential criminal implications. You would need to contact law enforcement to find out.
Q. Is Reprosecution Barred if my Jury Trial was terminated by the Judge after a Motion by the Defense for mistrial?
A: The short answer is yes. Whether or not the prosecution is likely to attempt to refile charges will depend on whether or not you (or your previous counsel on your behalf) waived your right to a speedy trial. Arizona requires the prosecution to take a defendant to trial within 150 days of indictment unless the right is waived. If that deadline was already approaching when your last trial occurred there may be insufficient time for the prosecutor to acquire a second indictment, get you arraigned, and get a trial setting before the time has run. If you specifically heard the judge dismiss your case "WITH prejudice," the prosecution will be barred from seeking a second indictment. This is rare and usually only occurs when it is obvious the prosecutor intentionally acted to cause there to be a mistrial. It does not sound like that is the case here.
Q. My grandson has been placed in kinship care in Arizona through DCS. Can we apply to adopt him before my daughter's right
A: My first question would be: "Have you spoken with DCS about your desire to adopt the child?" If you are offering to provide a safe, stable home for your grandson DCS may be interested in assisting you in reaching your goal. From there I would have a lot of other questions that would allow me to provide more specific assistance but, lacking any further information, my initial advice would be to obtain an appointment with whomever is managing your grandsons' case for DCS, sit down, and discuss your proposed solution with them.
Q. Can parents get there rights back if they were severed in arizona
A: Anything CAN happen but termination of parental rights is not an action the court takes without substantial justification. If you are merely talking about visitation rights the matter is less complicated. Unfortunately it is still far too complicated to tackle using Justia Ask-a-Lawyer. If you are serious about regaining custodial rights you need to speak with a reputable Arizona attorney specializing in family law. I wish you luck.
Q. I plead guilty to a plea deal and a week later the judge denied my plea deal after I already plead to a guilty charge
A: I agree with Mr. Reed. I would also offer that your guilty plea in relation to the agreement is not admissible against you should you change your plea to not guilty and proceed to trial.
Q. Can a judge change decisions on bond to no bond if it was already paid ?
A: Judges have an enormous amount of discretion in most matters. Without further information it is impossible to determine why the judge may have changed the decision but the short answer is yes, a judge can change a decision on bond even after a bond has been posted particularly where the judge believes the individual in question may either be a threat to him/herself or others or where information indicating an increased risk of flight has been brought to the judge's attention.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Gallian Welker & Beckstrom
965 E. 700 S.
Ste. 305
Saint George, UT 84790
Telephone: (435) 628-1682
Cell: (702) 613-8015
Fax: (435) 628-9561