Free Consultation: (321) 837-9966Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michelle D. Wynn

Michelle D. Wynn

Wynn Law, PLLC / Wynn Tax Law
  • Tax Law
  • Connecticut, Florida
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have always thought that if every person on this earth focused their energy doing what they are best at and most passionate about, the world would be a great place. From the moment I encountered the world of tax resolution/ tax defense, I found the field where my energy should be focused. I developed a strong understanding of the legal and tax concepts and a passion for learning more about it. I also developed a passion for helping those struggling with tax issues; for helping them resolve the problem, learn how to move past it in a financially healthy way, and learn to avoid future financial or tax issues. I brought my knowledge and prior experiences to bear in my own law firm, Wynn Tax Law / Wynn Law, PLLC. There, I will constantly work to create a client-centered law firm devoted to providing the best quality tax resolution services to my clients. In addition to approaching every engagement with the utmost skill and integrity, I will strive at all times to make the client's satisfaction with all aspects of the representation be my measurement of success. I will continue to represent my clients with the understanding, compassion, and care that I wish for myself when I hire an attorney.

Practice Area
  • Tax Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    For most cases, I offer multiple billing options including hourly fee, fixed fee, and a hybrid fixed fee model.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
Wynn Law, PLLC / Wynn Tax Law
- Current
Wynn Tax Law is where you will find the help you need to end your tax problem forever. Having a tax problem is stressful - dealing with your attorney doesn't need to be. You need an attorney who will work with you, customize their approach to your needs, make solving your tax problem as easy as possible for you, and help you make any changes needed to avoid these problems again in the future. It is our goal to ensure that your tax problem is resolved with the solution that will work best for you, within the confines of the law. We endeavor to ensure that you gain the knowledge and advice to let you move forward without the stress of tax problems in the future.
Parent, Parent & Wynn, LLP / IRS Medic
At IRS Medic/ Parent, Parent & Wynn, LLP, I became the Partner in charge of all client services. It was my job to ensure that all cases were handled with the utmost skill, competence, and care. During my time at the firm, at different and sometimes overlapping times, I served as the attorney in charge of the Tax Resolution Department, the OVDP/Streamlined Department, and the Tax Department (primarily in charge of tax return filings for both current and past years). I worked on hundreds of cases spanning virtually all types of tax controversies, including delinquent tax liabilities, foreign asset/income cases, audits (income, sales & use, and offshore asset), and tax preparation. Unlike many tax attorneys, I prepared hundreds of tax returns myself, which served me in good stead in better representing clients for tax cases, including audits, and in reviewing the work of other tax preparers, both those at our firm and outside tax preparers. I oversaw more than 20 employees by the time I separated from the firm. I had the pleasure of training and working with several wonderful attorneys and non-attorney staff members.
Research Assistant
Quinnpiac University School of Law Tax Clinic
Researched issues as directed by Staff Attorney. Assisted Staff Attorney with administrative duties. Represented low income taxpayers in collection disputes with the Internal Revenue Service.
Legal Intern
Quinnpiac University School of Law Tax Clinic
Represented low income taxpayers in collection disputes with the Internal Revenue Service. Prepared case for litigation and represented client in settlement discussions with the Service.
Legal Extern
The Hartford - Tax Law Department
Evaluated employee benefit plans for tax consequences. Developed plans for implementation of new systems to comply with tax laws. Researched state income tax laws to update withholding programs, various Form 1099 reporting requirements, and income tax treaties with foreign nations.
Legal Intern
Connecticut Innocence Project
Summarized trial transcripts. Reviewed and organized documents. Analyzed and organized information received from police reports and lab tests.
Legal Intern
CT Office of the Attorney General - Child Protection Unit
Located and organized relevant information from trial transcripts. Researched legal issues and crafted memoranda in preparation for future litigation and appeals.
Professional Assistant / Marketing Assistant
The Marks Law Firm P.A.
Devised and implemented marketing strategies. Audited marketing efforts and office productivity.
Quinnipiac University School of Law
J.D. (2011) | Tax Concentration
Honors: Graduated Magna Cum Laude. Graduated with a Concentration in Tax Law awarded with Honors.
University of Central Florida
B.A. (2008) | Legal Studies
Outstanding Clinical Student Award
Clinical Legal Education Association
Award received for outstanding service in Quinnipiac University School of Law Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
Outstanding Legal Scholarship
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Outstanding Performance in Oral Advocacy
Quinnipiac Unversity School of Law
Service to the Law School
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Distinguished Academic Achievement in Criminal Law
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Professional Associations
The Florida Bar # 0126182
- Current
The Florida Bar - Tax Section
- Current
Connecticut Bar Association - Tax Section
- Current
Connecticut State Bar # 433062
- Current
Connecticut Bar Association - Tax Section
Executive Committee Member
Connecticut Bar Association - Professional Discipline Committee
Articles & Publications
"Stolen tax refund? What to do next" by Jonnelle Marte
CNN MarketWatch
Websites & Blogs
Tax Talk with Wynn Tax Law
Legal Answers
87 Questions Answered

Q. wanting to know if I have to sign this new 872 since last was incorrect
A: The IRS often offers people the ability to pursue an Appeal of initial audit finding before the IRS issues a Statutory Notice of Deficiency. However, Appeals will only accept the case if they have at least 395 days before the current Statute of Limitations on Assessment is set to expire; this is intended to allow time for Appeals to have someone assigned and consider the issues before they need to issue the Notice of Deficiency so that they can avoid losing the ability to assess taxes while the case is pending assignment to an Appeals Officer. If you refuse to sign the 872 consenting to an extension of the Statute of Limitation on Assessment, the examiner will not send the case to Appeals and will instead issue a Notice of Deficiency. Once that Notice of Deficiency is issued, you will have 90 days to petition Tax Court to contest the assessment. If you petition Tax Court and your case has not already gone to Appeals, after IRS Counsel files an Answer to your Petition they will typically send the case back to Appeals to consider your objections to the assessment before proceeding to an actual trial in Tax Court. If you don't contest the case in Tax Court and the assessment becomes final, then your only way to challenge it is through an Audit Reconsideration request or after payment through a Refund request. If your representative is not an attorney and has not taken the Tax Court Bar to be able to represent people in Tax Court, then they are likely saying your only way to challenge the assessment would be through an audit reconsideration because they would not be able to represent you in a challenge to the assessment in Tax Court and you would either need to hire someone else or represent yourself.
Q. I have an upcoming IRS appeal and I need to subpoena some documents /information from my employer. How do I best do it?
A: Unfortunately, you cannot subpoena documents from an employer unless it is in connection with a court case that is already filed. Since I assume you are speaking of an administrative appeal with the IRS Office of Appeals, you would not be able to issue a subpoena. You can request the documents from your employer to see if they will provide them voluntarily. If not, then your best bet may be to try to prove the points you are raising using documentation already in your possession. The IRS is able to issue subpoenas to request documents and information without needing to have a court case filed. However, it would depend on the Appeals Officer being able and willing to issue such a subpoena and in some circumstances they are not able or willing to do so.
Q. Ask TAX question for selling apartment oversea (<240k)
A: You will need to declare the income on your 2018 income tax return when you file it next year. If the money was held in a foreign bank or other account, you may also have other filing obligations such as a requirement to file an FBAR or an IRS Form 8938. I suggest you use a professional to prepare your 2018 income tax return and any other required documents. Make sure that the person is experienced in handling foreign income and assets, as this is a very specialized area of tax law.
Q. I don't know what to do about 2 different letters I got from the IRS after being audit?
A: You should respond to the March 26th letter and provide the information again. Even though the inquiries are being handled by the same department at the IRS, it is quite likely that they have not associated the two years in their system and if you do not respond to the March 26th letter, they will likely disallow the EIC for that year and send you a notice that would require you to petition Tax Court to get the matter resolved.
Q. IRS deemed "uncollectable", only income SSDI, will never be able to pay as never able to work, NYS: unrelated
A: Try calling the NYS Office of the Taxpayer Rights Advocate. They may be able to assist you with this.
Q. How can I resolve my back taxes with the IRS?
A: You can do either an Offer in Compromise for your liability for 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 or an installment agreement for your separate liabilities (or one joint installment agreement for both your joint and separate liabilities), based on your financial situation. There are some special procedures involved in filing an Offer in Compromise under these circumstances and it is important to make sure you actually qualify before submitting an Offer. I highly recommend seeking professional assistance for this and make sure that it is an actual professional who will be working on your case.
Q. Can I deduct my moving expenses if I moved from overseas for a job, but haven't worked for a US company abroad?
A: For 2017 taxes, you can deduct your moving expenses if you returned to the US to start a new job or to work at a new location for your prior employer. You can find more information about this on the IRS webpage for moving expenses (IRS Publication 521): However, you should have declared your income from your foreign work on your US tax return. As a US citizen, you are required to declare your worldwide income on your US tax return. There are also special reporting forms if you had foreign bank or investment accounts with a total combined balance of more than $10,000 at any time during a year and/or if you had foreign retirement accounts. When you are living and working abroad, there are some special provisions that would allow you to exclude your foreign-earned income from being subject to US taxes (if you qualify for those exclusions), but you do still need to declare the income on your return. I recommend talking to an experienced accountant about preparing your tax return for 2017 and reviewing your prior year returns to make sure you are declaring your income and expenses properly. You should look for someone with experience dealing with foreign income and assets.
Q. I have never filed my taxes and this year i tried to file but i have to id verify.
A: The problem you are most likely to encounter is if you are asked for your prior years' AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) or Tax amount. If you get these questions, simply answer "0" if you did not file for last year. Other than these, the ID verification questions are typically related to driver's license information or other statistical information that you should have even if you did not file your return.
Q. I'm claiming my son but he just told me he hasn't paid child support in years. Will the IRS keep my refund?
A: If you claim your son as a dependent on your tax return and you are due a refund, the IRS should not take your tax refund to pay his back child support ( I hesitate to say "will not" because sometimes IRS does things it should not). In collecting child support arrearages, the IRS can seize any income tax refund that would otherwise be due to the person who owes the child support. Your son would not be eligible for a refund due to you claiming him as a dependent, you would eligible for the refund and you do not owe the child support. However, while the IRS should not take your tax refund, it may alert the child support collection agency of your son's new address making it easier to find him to pursue collections against him.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Main Office
1103 W Hibiscus Blvd
Suite 404
Melbourne, FL 32901
Telephone: (321) 837-9966