Michael Romano

Michael Romano

Romano Law, P.C.
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, DUI & DWI...
  • Oregon
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Mr. Romano attended Southern Oregon University (formerly Southern Oregon State College) in Ashland, Oregon where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science, with a minor degree in Philosophy. He then received his Juris Doctorate at Willamette University College of Law in Salem, Oregon. While in law school, Mr. Romano clerked for the Marion County District Attorney’s Office and developed a taste for trial work. He was then admitted to the Oregon State Bar in 2000 and began his career as a prosecutor working in Klamath, Coos, and Deschutes Counties. In early 2006, he then opened his private practice in Bend, Oregon with a strong focus on family law and criminal defense. In 2013, Mr. Romano opened an additional office in downtown Portland, Oregon. Mr. Romano has personally tried hundreds of jury trials, tried numerous bench trials, conducted traditional and video-recorded depositions, and has spent literally thousands of hours in courtrooms around Oregon. Mr. Romano stays current with changes in the law by consistently exceeding the minimum Continuing Legal Education requirements set by the Oregon State Bar. He’s a member of the Oregon Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Deschutes County Bar Association, the Multnomah County Bar Association, the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the DUI Defense Lawyers Association, and the National College of DUII Defense.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Personal Injury
  • Family Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Juvenile Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Romano Law, P.C.
- Current
Willamette University College of Law
J.D. (1998) | Law
Southern Oregon University
B.S. (1995) | Political Science
Professional Associations
Oregon State Bar # 000942
American Bar Association # 01560053
Speaking Engagements
Speaker, Learning The Ropes, Portland, Oregon
Oregon State Bar Association
Presented and gave a talk to new lawyers on how to open and run a successful law practice.
Licensed to Practice Law
Oregon Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Romano Law, P.C.
Oregon Legal News
Infinitely Qurious
Romano Law (Portland) - Facebook
Romano Law (Bend) - Facebook
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. Is it legal for me to carry a collapsible baton in Oregon?
A: The answer is a bit complicated. I actually wrote an article on this topic, which you can read here: The reason I saw that the answer is a bit complicated is because Oregon does not have a specific law that clarifies one way or another whether collapsible batons are legal. Similarly, Oregon does not have a specific law that clarifies one way or another whether collapsible batons are legal to carry concealed in Oregon. However, there is case law that appears to indicate that carrying a concealed baton-- or any other item designed to primarily be used as a weapon-- is illegal. In short, you can possess and open carry a collapsible baton in Oregon legally provided that it's not concealed or otherwise prohibited based on your status or location. For example, if you're on probation it could be unlawful. Also, if you're in a location that doesn't allow weapons, it'd be unlawful as well.
Q. Can my girlfriend get a driver's license in Oregon with one or two convictions of dui's in California?
A: It depends on how long ago those DUI convictions were, and whether she satisfied all requirements of the CA court and CA DMV.
Q. Is swerving WITHIN your own lane a lawful stop in reference to a DUII in the state of Oregon?
A: It's not a traffic violation by itself, but swerving within a lane can be used by an officer to support a finding of reasonable suspicion for DUII. Whether or not the stop was lawful will depend on what other factors the officer is using to corroborate his/her belief that the swerving was a sign of driving while under the influence.
Q. I want to know what this all means..
A: The reference to "PCS" means Possession of a Controlled Substance (Heroin or Methamphetamine). "60 d" refers to the jail time (60 days jail). "Pps" is a reference to post prison supervision. Based on the felony charges referenced in your questions, you're looking at significant jail time and supervision. You either need to ask your attorney about this plea offer or-- if you don't have an attorney-- either retain one or have a court-appointed attorney appointed right away.
Q. How can I be charged with felon in poss. Of a firearm. When a gun was found in another bag in a closet
A: The legal definition of "possession" is very broad. A felon doesn't need to be holding a firearm, touching a firearm, or even have a firearm within reach. It's called "constructive possession." The criminal charge of felon in possession of a firearm is a serious offense, and you may have a legal or factual defense. It'd probably be best if you didn't post more details in a public forum online, and instead contacted an attorney.
Q. My babys father is on bench probation and I believe he is doing illegal drugs what can I do,
A: The first thing you can do is verify your suspicion. Ask him if he's using. Have him take a UA. The second thing you should determine is what drugs is he using. A third consideration is: Does his drug use present a safety issue for the child? If he is using, your first motivation-- since he's the father of your child and will always be-- should be to get him clean, rather than to use the evidence of his use to your gain. As you can imagine, some people do this in custody disputes. If he's using, if his use is a safety issue, and if he's refusing to get clean, you may need to report the matter to the court where he's on bench probation. Alternatively, if he has parenting time, you may need to file a motion to restrict his parenting time until such time as he's clean and/or the safety issue is addressed.
Q. I have full custody of my 8 year old daughter, would I be able to move from Oregon to Florida?
A: Does the father of your daughter consent to the move? Does the father currently have a relationship with your daughter? Is he exercising parenting time with the child (with or without a written plan)? If the father objects to the move, and if the move will affect his parenting time, you may have an uphill battle. There are some tough appellate cases in Oregon on relocation.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Downtown Portland
111 SW 5th Ave.
Suite 3150
Portland, OR 97204
Telephone: (503) 208-5529
Fax: (541) 330-0223
3052 NW Merchant Way
Suite 106
Bend, OR 97701
Telephone: (541) 382-4404
Fax: (541) 330-0223