Michael Nicholas Lygnos

  • Criminal Law, Maritime Law, Personal Injury...
  • Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Maritime Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Real Estate Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
  • Greek: Spoken
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Can a person evict me in fl living in his house if I don't have a lease agreement
A: Assuming you are not a youngster referring to your parents, or you do not own the residence or have a life estate therin, then yes, a person without a lease can be evicted. Do you think you can live somewhere forever for free? The way it is properly done depends on some things, like if you are a tenant, or a sub-tenant; paying rent or not; if you are a week to week, a month to month, year to year tenant; if the eviction is for not paying rent or another reason.
Q. If a person acts in self defense but gets arrested can anything happen to the person who started it?
A: Is the initial aggressor in a fight solely responsible? Not always. Did you have an opportunity to retreat? Did you escalate the fight or continue when it could have been ended? In Florida, we have the stand your ground rule, a no duty to retreat law, but that will not always help. Who is the aggressor is a fact question. Sometimes those facts do not get sorted out until a jury decides. Is a person acting in self-defense also subject to arrest? Fighting is actually against the law. It is called "affray" and if it appears that persons are fighting by choice, it is a minor crime. Assuming you were voluntarily fighting and the other person "started it" you might not be charged, or if charged, you might get the charges dropped, or win an acquittal. The end result depends on what evidence the prosecution is depending on. Is this evidence sometimes undependable? That's a big yes. Does anybody care? Your lawyer is about the only one besides you who will care. Go see a local lawyer in person. Take your paperwork from the arrest. Be prepared to pay the lawyer. It could be the best money you ever spent. Many employers do not hire people who have fighting or violence on their record. A lawyer might be able to keep your record clean, depending on your history of arrests. Good luck.
Q. What if I was rear ended and was found not at fault.
A: You write too well for a person who is apparently clueless about how releases work. If you sign a release, you give up all future rights. I do not know if your herniated and bulging discs were caused by the rear end accident or if you are a professional wrestler with pre-existing or post accident injuries. A $10,000 settlement is not much settlement for all that injury. Maybe there is more insurance or other assets available. A professional would check on it. Do not trust insurance adjusters. Do you have a UM policy? Were you a passenger in someone else's car, or was it your car? There are dozens of questions that a professional would ask. Thereafter, you would have good information. Get a lawyer, or at least consult with one for an hour or so to get the right information.
Q. Am I able to sue on behalf of my child if they are injured?
A: Yes, probably. As long as you and the other parent agrees. Ultimately, if the recovery is large enough, a judge will need to approve the settlement and a guardian at litem will need to be appointed and report that the settlement os in the best interest of the child.
Q. Can lifeguards be sued in the event of a public beach drowning?
A: Who can be held responsible in a drowning is a detailed analysis. Technically, lifeguards have a duty to save swimmers, if they can. You might sue the town or lifeguards if they breach a duty, BUT, you need to speak with an attorney about the facts.
Q. What kind of attorney do I need?
A: Good question. Your case sounds like a workers comp claim against your employer, if in fact you are an employee and not an independent contractor. Some employers try and avoid responsibility by hiring independent contractors.
Q. I want to sue the captain of a ship I was working on for an injury sustained on his vessel while located off the coast
A: You do not provide enough facts for a definitive answer. If you are a foreign seaman working under a collective bargaining agreement on a foreign flag vessel with a mandatory arbitration remedy, then, the answer is no. If you are a seaman whose employment originated in a US port, and you were injured offshore, you possibly can sue the vessel. There are jurisdiction issues. The vessel could be owned by a soverign or government, which has special rules. There are many potential issues. Call a good maritime lawyer. Explain the facts. Tell the lawyer about the facts and your injuries.
Q. The police guy who pulled me over was excessively rough and I got a concussion before taking in (I was eventually
A: I do not suppose you hired an attorney to represent your interests and advise you before you were convicted of the charge. It is too late to change the dui. You have 30 days to appeal a conviction. And if you oled to the. harge, the only
Q. I was threatened by a classmate... He is still in the school, can I sue?
A: These matters are fact driven, meaning the facts are very important, and you should talk to a local lawyer handling educational or school issues, so the lawyer can evaluate the problem. I would want to know what, if any
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
111 North Belcher Road
Suite 206
Clearwater, FL 33765
Telephone: (727) 726-9100
Telephone: (813) 259-9494