Michael Hales
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law, Social Security Disability...
  • Florida, Idaho
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Michael is a full-time faculty member of BYU-Idaho's Business Management department. While teaching is his main focus, he maintains a law practice focused on business law, contract disputes, and disability. He is licensed in Idaho and Florida.

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Social Security Disability
  • Consumer Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Business Faculty Member
- Current
Faculty member teaching business law and business writing courses.
Skidmore Hales
- Current
University of San Diego School of Law
J.D. (2009) | Law
Professional Associations
The Florida Bar # 0103904
Idaho State Bar # 8191
Articles & Publications
Timeshare Law
The Advocate
Speaking Engagements
J Reuben Clark Law Society, Idaho Falls, ID
Discussed the legal considerations of timeshare ownership
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
75 Questions Answered

Q. I need help with a timeshare I signed up for on 11/19/18. I live in MI and was on vacation and Thanksgiving w. family.
A: All states require the recession period to be in writing. I wrote about this an article for my state bar over a year ago with some tips that you and your attorney may find helpful. You can access it here: https://skidmorehales.com/article It also has some advice on how to avoid the myriad of timeshare scams. Best of luck and please let me know if you or your attorney have additional questions.
Q. My timeshare sold out to another company. Can this new company force us to buy into their program?
A: Unless your contract documents saying something to the contrary, the answer to this depends on if the new company has materially altered the terms of your prior agreement. Companies are generally allowed to increase maintenance fees, but only up to a reasonable amount (usually 2-5% per year). But I'd recommend having an attorney review the documents.
Q. Can a nonprofit in a one state involve lawyers from different states to help, and any other legal issues with my idea?
A: There are going to be a number of ethical issues here for attorneys. For example, there are rules about referral services like this as well as how the attorneys would be paid. Because there are so many issues to discuss, I'd recommend finding an attorney to review this all in detail.
Q. Can gossiping be considered working in hostile enviroment. If it both me to the point go seek medical help to cope
A: If it's sufficiently severe, then yes, it would be actionable. The question is whether the gossiping would be objectively hostile. You'll want to review the facts with an attorney.
Q. Which is State for rescinding a license to occupy a suite
A: It will depend on the contract you signed, but even if says something contrary, the state where the property is located will almost always also apply. However, there can be some confusion about this, and I wrote an article about this very issue with my local bar that you can read here: https://skidmorehales.com/article Let me know if you have any questions.
Q. Verbal business agreement to buy wood. Wood was not fully delivered and payment was made. The seller refused to deliver.
A: Although you don't have a writing, it appears that you have evidence that a contract was entered. It will now be an issue of forcing delivery. Please contact an attorney if you need assistance.
Q. I am a recent widow and have been left with debt that I cannot pay. I am seriously considering bankruptcy. My question
A: If the timeshare is your only debt, I recommend contacting the timeshare developer directly or through an attorney to offer it back to them in return for a discharge of the debt you owe. They frequently agree to this when I approach them on behalf of clients.
Q. I need to ask for help with timeshare and timeshare exit companies help.
A: I'd be happy to help. I did write an article about timeshare exit companies that you can find here: https://skidmorehales.com/article The short of it is that timeshare exit companies tend to be scams. They ask for money up front and do little to help timeshare owners. In fact, they cause great harm by triggering the owner's default on fees/loans, meaning that their credit scores often take a hit. But please let me know if you have a more specific question.
Q. How do I find out if my brother and I are named beneficiaries in our grandmas estate if my uncle won’t produce a will?
A: I recommend retaining an attorney to communicate with your uncle if he continues to ignore your requests.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Skidmore Hales
18 South 1st East
Rexburg, ID 83440
Cell: (208) 403-5839