Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Check out my background at my website, www.siegelandsiegel.com.
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Foreclosure Defense
- Education Law
- Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- New York
- University of Chicago
- J.D. / Law (1990)
- Columbia University
- M.A. / Political Science (1987)
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- B.A. / Political Science and History (1986)
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude Martha Barrett Prize for highest GPA in History
- New York State Bar # 2372258
- - Current
Websites & Blogs
644 Questions Answered
- Q. Can you help someone get out of debt who has no money?
- A: One, she should contact legal aid. Two, she cannot lose her child for being homeless. Child support will be enforced. There is other aid she can get. Bankruptcy is the least of the issues. Contact her county department of social services to learn about benefits available.
- Q. Can you dile banckrupcy if your house os worth more than you owe?
- A: Yes. The exemption is $150,000 for an individual and $300,000 for a couple.
- Q. What rights does a homebuyer have when an offer/binder is accepted based on promises that the seller stated he would do?
- A: New York does not recognize binders. There is no contract, so there is no deal. Any side can walk away.
- Q. Life estate deed holder living in nursing home, can tenants in common sell house?
- A: Yes, as the life estate is only on his share, not yours.
- Q. (NYC) Is Joint tenancy between 3 people severed now common tenancy for residential house? 2/3 and 1/3 shares?
- A: Yes, that is how it works.
- Q. New neighbor installed tennis court and two story HID lighting in Staten Island residential area, legal?
- A: Call 311 and have the NYC DOB come out and check.
- Q. Can a joint tenant (mother) sell share of 3 family house to another joint tenant (son) for $0.00 in 2014 legal?
- A: I see nothing wrong here. A joint tenant can transfer their share to anyone unless some document prevents it. You are not a party to the deal so what is it to you?
- Q. In NYS does a will signing with witnesses (two) have to be attested by a lawyer, or could it be done by a Notary?
- A: It is done by a notary, but there are other requirements.
- Q. Aunt has not probated gmoms Will. It's been 10 years. My mom was a beneficiary, has since passed. Who gets moms part?
- A: Where is the will, and how do you know it exists or what it says? You and your siblings, if any, get your mom's share. You need to petition the Surrogate, but the form depends upon the current status.
Contact & Map