Melissa L. Padgett

Melissa L. Padgett

Otts, Moore, Coale, Godwin, Stearns & Darby
  • Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury ...
  • Alabama
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

You may also view my firm's website at "No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers."

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Juvenile Law
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Social Security Disability
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Otts, Moore, Coale, Godwin, Stearns & Darby
- Current
Melissa L. Padgett Attorney at Law, LLC
Thomas Goode Jones School of Law, Faulkner University
J.D. (2014) | Juris Doctor
Honors: Best Paper: Evidence and Professional Responsibility
Placeholder image for education.
Auburn University
B.S. (2010) | Agricultural Business & Economics
Auburn University Logo
Best of the Best: Profession under 40
Brewton Standard
Professional Associations
Brewton Area Chamber of Commerce
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alabama Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Guardian ad litem
Juvenile Court
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. How can my stepson get to visit his child when the mother refuses to let him? She will not even answer his text or calls
A: If he has no money for an attorney, he can simply file a petition himself requesting visitation. If visitation has already been established, he can file a petition against the mother for contempt of court. He would be representing himself in his case, but he would be required to pay a filing fee. He can ask the clerk for an affidavit of substantial hardship that essentially is a request to the Court for a waiver of the filing fee.
Q. Will the judge grant visitation for a CS case? I filed through DHR
A: A Judge could hear the issue of visitation during the hearing to establish child support, or he could hear it at a different time. The DHR attorney will not represent you regarding the issue of visitation. The DHR attorney will simply prosecute the issue of child support. So the answer would be yes. You would need to hire an attorney to represent you regarding the issue of visitation.
Q. I am 18,my 17 year old girlfriend(also my baby's mother)want to get married.
A: Yes, her Grandmother must consent. Alabama law (30-1-5 Code of Alabama) requires that consent of the parents or guardians of the minor to the marriage must be given, either personally or in writing(notarized), to the Judge of Probate before a marriage license will be issued.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Otts, Moore, Coale, Godwin, Stearns & Darby
401 Evergreen Avenue
P O Box 467
Brewton, AL 36426
Telephone: (251) 867-7724
Otts, Moore, Coale, Godwin, Stearns & Darby
104 North Main Street
Atmore, AL 36502
Telephone: (251) 368-4441
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.