Mazyar M. Hedayat Esq.

Mazyar M. Hedayat Esq.

M. Hedayat and Associates, P.C.
  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Divorce...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

Mazyar M. Hedayat is the principal of M. Hedayat & Associates, PC, a law firm that has represented Clients for nearly 20 years in the areas of commercial law and litigation, bankruptcy law and litigation, real property transactions and litigation, construction law and mechanics liens, corporate law, and more. After attending the University of Chicago and University of Michigan, Mr. Hedayat received his MBA from the U.M. Ross School of Business, and his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law. Mr. Hedayat is a title insurance agent and operated a full-service title company for 6 years. He has held Series 7 and 63 securities licenses, as well as Business Broker's certificate His current and former professional memberships include the Chicago Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the American Bar Association, the Will County Bar Association, and DuPage County Bar Associations. While at the DCBA Mr. Hedayat chaired the bankruptcy, publication, and practice management committees, was Editor in Chief of the Bar Brief, and earned a Board of Directors Award. He has also earned various honors including Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year, client-service awards. Mr. Hedayat has given CLE presentations concerning bankruptcy, electronic filing, business formation and management, construction, bonding, liens, tax deeds, title issues and other subjects. He has also written dozens of articles, and maintains two blogs. He can be reach on Twitter @mhalaw (bankruptcy law) and @practicehacker (practice management). He can also be found on LinkedIn and Facebook.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Divorce
  • Estate Planning
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
7th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Farsi: Spoken
Professional Experience
- Current
Law Office of Mazyar M. Hedayat
- Current
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
MBA / Finance, Corporate Strategy (2000)
DePaul University
J.D. / Law (1995)
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. / Philosophy (1987)
Honors: With Distinction; Gold Key National Honors Society.
Lawyer of the Year
Legal Match
Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year
Legal Match
Board of Directors Award
DuPage County Bar Association
Lawyer of the Year
Legal Match
Certificate of Appreciation
Independent Assoc. of Quetioned Document Examiners
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar
American Bar Association
DuPage County Bar Association
Activities: Chair, Bankruptcy Law Committee; Chair, Business Law and Practice; Chair, Law Practice Management; Editor, DCBA Brief (Bar Journal); Member, Real Estate Committee; Court Advisory Cmtee., E-Filing.
Will County Bar Association
Activities: Member, Real Estaste Committee; Member, Civil Practice Committee.
National Business Institute
American Bankruptcy Institute
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Real Estate Seminars
Lorman Education Insitute
Legal Technology Show, Chicago, IL
American Bar Association
Technology Task Force Symposium
American Bar Association
Lawyers Serving Society Through Technology
American Bar Association
Bankruptcy And Real Estate
Will County Bar Association
Presenter, 2003 Mega-Seminar
DuPage County Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Mazyar M. Hedayat Website profile
M. Hedayat & Associates Website
Illinois Business Litigator Blog
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. Is the landlord allowed to rent out an individual parking space in front of retail business to a semi truck?
A: You state that your landlord is renting out spots in front of your retail establishment and that you believe that action will have an affect on the viability of your business. You are located in Glenview (Cook County). Neither Cook County nor the Village of Glenview has specific prescriptions on this subject, so you must look to the Commercial Lease you signed and Illinois law to clarify your rights. Without having the lease I cannot guess if the Lessor's actions constitute a violation of its terms. As for Illinois law, you may be able to claim that Lessor's actions will impact (and have impacted) business, but that claim is speculative so it may not yet be actionable. I recommend sitting down with an Attorney in your area to have your lease reviewed and to communicate with the Lessor about your situation. I hope this information has been helpful. Best of luck.
Q. Went to Computer Systems Institute, IL. Did not receive both certs, job placement, etc. Do I have a suit against them?
A: If your educational institution obligated itself to give proper training and deliver job placement, but did neither, then yes, you have a case. Of course, it is highly unlikely that the educational institution would put such obligations in writing. It is far more likely that you would have to prove your case by presenting facts in a demand and perhaps eventually at trial. Even so, it would also not be a surprise if your institution attempted to settle after knowing you are serious - and that may ultimately be your best option. In any case, speak with an Attorney and find out more about your options. I hope this information was helpful. Best of luck.
Q. If a corporation dissolves, how are the warranty claims handled if customers have up to a 5-year guaranty on prod/serv?
A: A warranty is essentially an insurance policy, so you should find out if the issuer of the warranty actually has an insurance policy that you can take advantage of in the event you need follow up. In general, warranties can also be purchased - in fairness the dissolving company should purchase such a warrranty for you. I hope this information has been helpful. Best of luck.
Q. My girlfriend bought a house and I invested money in it. Can I sew for the money I invested?
A: Based on your question, you should be able to sue for your investment and place a lien on the property (potentially a more effective way to go). Speak with a knowledgable local Attorney about how to make this happen.
Q. Can my exgirlfriend use alleged evidence from over 1 year ago to get an order of protection and release her from a lease
A: There are a number of parts to your question but the short answer is that your girlfriend is entitled to seek the Order of Protection, and receiving such an order is a valid reason to be absent from the property and, presumably, not have to pay rent for a period of time, but that is not the same as being absolved from her lease obligation altogether. Point is, she may or may not be able to secure an order of protection, but whether or not she does she is not automatically off the hook. And you need to consult a lawyer right away. Do not wait on this. It is potentially too damaging. Best of luck.
Q. Boyfriend died. We never planned on marriage. Had a cohabitation agreement. How long do I have before I have to move?
A: In short, the answer depends on the terms of your Cohabitation Agreement, as well as State and local laws relating to how much notice is required to evict a tenant (f that is even applicable in this case). As a baseline, generally an unwritten tenancy is deemed to be "at suffrage" and therefore period-to-period. Here that would likely mean month-month with 30 days being the least notice to be given. Even then, there is much more to this situation so I recommend you contact a local Attorney to a more complete answer. Best of luck.
Q. If a company owes you commission and they file Bankruptcy How do you collect or make a claim?
A: To claim sums due from a Debtor in Bankruptcy: (1) Download a Claim Form from the website of the Bankruptcy Court; (2) Fill in the request information and attach proof of your claim such as a Judgment, Lien, or Invoice; and (3) File the Claim and attachments with the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court. If you have an Attorney they can file electronically on your behalf. If you file yourself, you must do so in person by presenting your Claim and attachments in triplicate at the Clerk's office. Finally, keep in mind that not all cases allow for the filing of claims. Your safest bet is to contact the Trustee's office to find out if claims are being accepted in the case in question. You may also contact our office if you would like assistance.
Q. How many years do I have to wait until I can file Bankruptcy again?
A: The 2004 amendments to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code - collectively, the BAPCPA - were designed to make it more difficult for consumers to seek relief in bankruptcy. One way the BAPCA achieved its goal was by extending the minimum required period between bankruptcy discharges. It used to be that you had to wait 7 years after receiving a bankruptcy discharge in order to file a new case. Now you must wait 8 years. Keep in mind that we are talking about 8 years in between the receipt of a discharge (i.e. a successful case) and the filing of a new case: not just the time between filings.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
M. Hedayat and Associates, P.C.
1211 W Lakeview Ct
Romeoville, IL 60446
Telephone: (630) 378-2200
Fax: (630) 447-0067